GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official APEX VW VS-5RS Forged 17" Wheel Thread

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Aside from the silly price, any reason not to run titanium wheel bolts? I realize I could do a stud conversion, but I've been dealing with wheel bolts for so long, I really don't think it would speed anything up significantly.

Aesthetically, all of the cheap silver wheel bolts look, well cheap. Plus I like the idea of the Acer seven sided "locks" for road use.
Galling mostly.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I assume a high temp anti seize would address that though? I have a titanium bike and seatpost (in a steel bike), I'm used to those issues.

Well, here I am talking about greasing wheel bolts, maybe I've answered my own question.
I've used titanium wheel bolts for years without any issues. Just make sure they are clean and clean out the wheel hub of any rust before using the titanium bolts.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Aside from the silly price, any reason not to run titanium wheel bolts? I realize I could do a stud conversion, but I've been dealing with wheel bolts for so long, I really don't think it would speed anything up significantly.

Aesthetically, all of the cheap silver wheel bolts look, well cheap. Plus I like the idea of the Acer seven sided "locks" for road use.

Spoken exactly like someone who hasn't run wheel studs in a while! Seriously though, the stud conversion kit is a game changer on these cars. It really makes wheel installation quite a bit faster overall and the flexibility of being able to play around with various spacer sizes without dedicated extended lug bolts is an added plus. Especially considering our stud kits use the OE ballseat hardware specs, there aren't really any downsides to switching over. Not sure how expensive the specific titanium bolts you are looking at are but from other sets I have seen, the pricing is practically the same if not more expensive than the full stud conversion kit.

Food for thought!

-Geirsen

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE - 3 Pedals
Spoken exactly like someone who hasn't run wheel studs in a while! Seriously though, the stud conversion kit is a game changer on these cars. It really makes wheel installation quite a bit faster overall and the flexibility of being able to play around with various spacer sizes without dedicated extended lug bolts is an added plus. Especially considering our stud kits use the OE ballseat hardware specs, there aren't really any downsides to switching over. Not sure how expensive the specific titanium bolts you are looking at are but from other sets I have seen, the pricing is practically the same if not more expensive than the full stud conversion kit.

Food for thought!

-Geirsen
Ha, I don't doubt they're easier, but one of the reasons I went with the 17x9 is specifically not to run spacers. I'm being pedantic, but I'd be okay with a short enough stud that I could run a closed lug on.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Ha, I don't doubt they're easier, but one of the reasons I went with the 17x9 is specifically not to run spacers. I'm being pedantic, but I'd be okay with a short enough stud that I could run a closed lug on.
Do both. Ti studs and ti lugs.

Attachments

• 20220805_124721.jpg
    20220805_124721.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24