GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Offered 32K for 2019 Alltrack SE, considering options

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
None taken, and we kept our wedding super small (less than 20 guests in my parents' backyard), but any service that has "wedding" attached to it is at least 2-3x more expensive. That expense also includes the engagement ring and a few other items.

I was also going to just spend out of my savings, but had this 0% introductory card already so figured I'd throw it on that as it's free money. I have the cash to pay it off but at 0% I don't have an incentive to (going to pay off the car instead).

smart.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
This is a whole separate topic, and I don't mean to offend you, but...

Going into debt for a wedding is stupid as fuck.
Even not going into debt, spending on a wedding is dumb. My in-laws graciously offered to pay for it all, but still, good god what a waste of money. I had a lot of fun, but I definitely didn't have $25k worth of fun.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
agreed - super glad my gf told me early on that, if we ever get married, she wants to do it small and not take on any debt or spend any more than absolutely necessary. Weddings are so stupid. They’re all the same, and they’re all too much money.
Whelp, you just saved 20-100 grand based on how many friends/family you have.

Time to open up the tap again...where are those RS3 listings... :unsure:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Whelp, you just saved 20-100 grand based on how many friends/family you have.

Time to open up the tap again...where are those RS3 listings... :unsure:
HAHAHAHAHA fr fr... can you tow with an RS3?😁 I don’t need an SUV if I can tow a camper with a 400HP rocket with big brakes

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
agreed - super glad my gf told me early on that, if we ever get married, she wants to do it small and not take on any debt or spend any more than absolutely necessary. Weddings are so stupid. They’re all the same, and they’re all too much money.

In fact - the moment she told me this, I fell deeper in love with her. She told me in explicit terms:

“If you waste a bunch of money on a stupid fucking ring, I’m saying no and breaking up with you because I would no longer trust your financial judgment, and don’t want to marry someone who’s bad with money.”

hahahahaha. She’s a keeper :)

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
In fact - the moment she told me this, I fell deeper in love with her. She told me in explicit terms:

“If you waste a bunch of money on a stupid fucking ring, I’m saying no and breaking up with you because I would no longer trust your financial judgment, and don’t want to marry someone who’s bad with money.”

hahahahaha. She’s a keeper :)

Obviously there are limits but I think a nice ring is worth it because (hopefully) it will be worn for life. I don't understand spending a ton on just one day, though. We spent ~$5k which I think is dirt cheap for a wedding nowadays.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Obviously there are limits but I think a nice ring is worth it because (hopefully) it will be worn for life. I don't understand spending a ton on just one day, though. We spent ~$5k which I think is dirt cheap for a wedding nowadays.

yeah no that’s dope. She’s just not “materialistic” like that. She said she’d rather me buy her a baby avocado tree so she can grow it throughout her life and have free avocados😂

she also thinks being given flowers is stupid, since they’re dead. Similar vein, she’d rather be given an alive plant to keep alive.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
My wife is the same with flowers and cards. Just things to have to throw away. She is much more frugal than I am but we like to spend on experiences and travel. Far to many couples borrow to pay for a wedding while renting or deferring student loan debt. I am probably the last person to take financial advice from but selling the car sounds like a good course of action. Once mine is back on the road I’ve considered it as well.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Even not going into debt, spending on a wedding is dumb. My in-laws graciously offered to pay for it all, but still, good god what a waste of money. I had a lot of fun, but I definitely didn't have $25k worth of fun.

My wedding was around $13k - $14k, at around 100 people. Paid out of pocket, and recouped probably 80% from gifts.

But I just went to a wedding earlier this month, where both the bride and groom came from well off families, who's parents offered to pay for it. It was just over 200 people, and he said a bit over $250 per person. Quick napkin math, and this wedding cost over $50k. I have no idea where that money went. It wasn't any nicer than my own wedding, which if you figure $14k for 100 people, it would have extrapolated to $28k for 200.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
My wedding was around $13k - $14k, at around 100 people. Paid out of pocket, and recouped probably 80% from gifts.

But I just went to a wedding earlier this month, where both the bride and groom came from well off families, who's parents offered to pay for it. It was just over 200 people, and he said a bit over $250 per person. Quick napkin math, and this wedding cost over $50k. I have no idea where that money went. It wasn't any nicer than my own wedding, which if you figure $14k for 100 people, it would have extrapolated to $28k for 200.

I worked at a boogie wedding venue in south Jersey in college and Friday nights were 40-50K, Saturday’s 45-60, and Sundays 30-40.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
yeah no that’s dope. She’s just not “materialistic” like that. She said she’d rather me buy her a baby avocado tree so she can grow it throughout her life and have free avocados😂

she also thinks being given flowers is stupid, since they’re dead. Similar vein, she’d rather be given an alive plant to keep alive.

I think flowers are kind of sad because they eventually wilt away, too. I like giving/being given potted plants, if anything (though some people don't want to take care of those either).

For Valentine's day I printed my wife some flowers lol

Attachments

• flowers.jpg
    flowers.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 45

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1

Booze. If they go high end, it adds up quickly. My father in law chose all the wines and it was probably 50% of the total. A Veuve Cliquot toast is like $10-20 a head!

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

My mom took most of the gifts from my side of the family because she has to "give them back" later when her siblings' kids get married. :(

Of what I did get I ended up spending on the Southbend clutch for my car.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Weddings ugh. Mine is next year. Sadly we are now in apple to oranges time :/ It seems everyone knows this but a 100person wedding 30 years ago is most likely way cheaper than today. We both have big families, we both have some friends, and she wants it big and I dont really care. We have decent help to pay for around 2/3 of it so I'm cool with it. If we didn't it would be a back yard wedding lol. Are place ranges from 130-180 I think per person, depends on the plate they choose. And we choose the plates offered, 1 nice, 1 ok, 1 veg (cheap).

But like all things, eliminating all debt is the key for everyone. My student loans are lease C8 with good credit territory lol. F*$# College

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

My friends spent a huge amount of money on a wedding and then got divorced anyway.