GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Offered 32K for 2019 Alltrack SE, considering options

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
That's why people need 9 months of pre marital counseling before getting married. They discuss those things which makes it clear what each person wants and expects.

We barley knew each other much more than 9mo before we got hitched.... that was almost 17yrs ago, and we still don’t agree on some of those life altering choices... both of them 🤷‍♂️

“...maybe you’ll marry, maybe you won’t, maybe you’ll have children, maybe you won’t, maybe you’ll divorce at 40, maybe you’ll dance the Funky Chicken at your 75th wedding anniversary, but what ever you do, don’t congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance, so are everybody else’s.”
~Mary Schmich

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
So at what point is this thread going to become an official part out thread?

I still need coilovers and BMP hasn't restocked thier damn headlights yet.

Alltrak owners...I'll take that skid plate off you.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
We barley knew each other much more than 9mo before we got hitched.... that was almost 17yrs ago, and we still don’t agree on some of those life altering choices... both of them 🤷‍♂️

“...maybe you’ll marry, maybe you won’t, maybe you’ll have children, maybe you won’t, maybe you’ll divorce at 40, maybe you’ll dance the Funky Chicken at your 75th wedding anniversary, but what ever you do, don’t congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself either. Your choices are half chance, so are everybody else’s.”
~Mary Schmich
Having known each other for such a short time before marrying makes your 17 year marriage the exception. The two of you at least had in common the ability and willingness to work together and not bale out over your disagreements. 👍

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Really smart move.

I've considered doing the same thing. My car is worth somewhere around $20k, I owe $13.5k. I have some credit card debt and student loans.

Cashing out the GTI would give me enough to go pay cash for something else and make the car payment go away. Tough part is the market being what it is. Sell high, buy high.
Yeah - it’s only advantageous if you can swing it carless, or sharing with a SO until prices return to somewhat “normal” pricing (accounting for the magical covid inflation)

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi
That's why people need 9 months of pre marital counseling before getting married. They discuss those things which makes it clear what each person wants and expects.
It’s a nice general rule of course. Many people go into marriages without any thoughts for what happens AFTER the marriage ceremony!

My parents dated for 1 month before getting married. Quite the story, but now they are 34 years into marriage and I am only 32. I know more people who got hitched with an extremely short amount of time knowing each other and not divorcing, than people who were together for years before getting married and then divorced.

When you think about it, it makes zero sense!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
It’s a nice general rule of course. Many people go into marriages without any thoughts for what happens AFTER the marriage ceremony!

My parents dated for 1 month before getting married. Quite the story, but now they are 34 years into marriage and I am only 32. I know more people who got hitched with an extremely short amount of time knowing each other and not divorcing, than people who were together for years before getting married and then divorced.

When you think about it, it makes zero sense!

I think of it 2 ways.

Previous generation had a higher tolerance for hardship and suffering. All marriages go through hard times and they are more willing to work through it, short of abuse. Analogy for me is previous generations fixed things if they broke while later generations just replace them.

Second thing is I feel like those that get married after knowing each other for a short time also usually get married at a younger age. They kind of grow and develop together and thus become more in sync.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I think of it 2 ways.

Previous generation had a higher tolerance for hardship and suffering. All marriages go through hard times and they are more willing to work through it, short of abuse. Analogy for me is previous generations fixed things if they broke while later generations just replace them.

Second thing is I feel like those that get married after knowing each other for a short time also usually get married at a younger age. They kind of grow and develop together and thus become more in sync.

Some times you just know they are the one. 🤷‍♂️

we were also married for over 10yrs of touring the world before we “settled down”.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Lots of good advice in here.
The phrase “act your wage” comes to mind.

Debt sucks. Selling my fun car, buying a beater, and paying off all my debt was the best financial decision I ever made. It was lame driving a mazda3 with no AC in Southern California summers. But ultimately I was able to afford to make some bigger life changes much earlier on (getting married, moving, etc.)

If selling your car eliminates your debt, and you have the cash to buy a replacement vehicle outright if things don’t go well sharing a car, I say do it.
As rewarding as driving a fun car is, it’s not as rewarding as being financially free.
I see OP has hopefully made a decision but just wanted to re-enforce this post. Driving a POS at various times in your life will give you better cars in the long run. So does having a wife that makes more than you.... :love:

35 or so years of marriage I now have GTI, Older Taco and this.....also tractor and plow truck

1A239872-DFDE-41CB-A500-75AA18ABFBFA.JPG

Last edited:

cb1111

I see OP has hopefully made a decision but just wanted to re-enforce this post. Driving a POS at various times in your life will give you better cars in the long run. So does having a wife that makes more than you.... :love:

35 or so years of marriage I now have GTI, Older Taco and this.....also tractor and plow truck

View attachment 223664
You're screwed. You're supposed to know that to the minute.

fredothechimp

Passed Driver's Ed
Not really. The chip makers are starting to catch up slowly. Probably another 6-9 months. Here's Ciscos estimate.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56847518
It's different circumstances for the different industries though, and this is from April. More recent outlooks have said that it's probably going to drag on longer than originally expected. Things like the uptick in COVID in Malaysia, limited number of fabs, and the fact that auto manufacturers are at the back of line with their orders are just going to prolong things. Toyota is slashing it's production by 40%, Mercedes isn't importing any of it's V8 models. Intel and STMicro are both predicting this runs into 2022-2023.

https://www.popsci.com/technology/global-chip-shortage/
https://spectrum.ieee.org/chip-shortage

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Thanks for everyone’s input in here. I decided to sell my GTI back to the dealer I originally bought it from tomorrow. It is the 3rd GTI, I’ve owned and I lusted after the MK7 when it debuted in 2015, but couldn’t afford one at the time.
February of 2020 my wife and I spent $50k on a 200 person wedding. Our parents paid for half of it and I was blacked out drunk most of the night. We literally got married right before lockdown and quarantine. We had 6 other weddings to attend this year and last which were all canceled. Yes it was expensive but it was also the last time most of our family got to see each other before some of them passed away from Covid.
Emotional spending on a one day party doesn’t make any financial sense blah blah. Our car hobby is based on emotional spending as well. “If I buy this part, or tune it will make me feel better when I drive my car.” Make every day count folks. With the GTI gone, my BMW is probably going to get a whole lot more action.
89191C84-78CE-4E73-8C3B-D473960ED173.jpeg

Last edited:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Thanks for everyone’s input in here. I decided to sell my GTI back to the dealer I originally bought it from tomorrow. It is the 3rd GTI, I’ve owned and I lusted after the MK7 when it debuted in 2015, but couldn’t afford one at the time.
Last February my wife and I spent $50k on a 200 person wedding. Our parents paid for half of it and I was blacked out drunk most of the night. We literally got married right before lockdown and quarantine. We had 6 other weddings to attend this year and last which were all canceled. Yes it was expensive but it was also the last time most of our family got to see each other before some of them passed away from Covid.
Emotional spending on a one day party doesn’t make any financial sense blah blah. Our car hobby is based on emotional spending as well. “If I buy this part, or tune it will make me feel better when I drive my car.” Make every day count folks. With the GTI gone, my BMW is probably going to get a whole lot more action.
View attachment 223725

I am very sorry to hear about your lost family members. I have been very fortunate to have not lost anyone amidst a 30-person family, several of which are over 60 and immunocompromised

Let’s see more of this!! Who else is selling their car and chilling until the market corrects? Join the bandwagon! 😁