GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Off Topic Random Chat v5.8 - Memes and Gifs Welcomed

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
My parents and grandparents are the same way - still have that mentality that raw = bad. There's this place in Dallas (almost Richardson) called Kazy's. They're a fish wholesaler that handles a lot of the fish that various restaurants around the DFW Metroplex order. They also happen to have a small sushi cafe and a very small Japanese grocery attached. It's some damn good sushi! And for sure the absolute cheapest anywhere in DFW. I'm talking $2-2.5 for a pair of nigiri when they're $4-6 anywhere else. A mountain of steamed rice for $1, green tea for 50 cents. I guess when you're the wholesaler, you can offer your small amount of customers wholesale prices on their meals. Very low key hole in the wall, this place - very very cheap and very fresh.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
First time I had sushi was probably when I moved to South Florida. I will eat it here in tx whenever I get a chance. My parents are ~70 and they would never eat it. I took my dad to a place once for lunch and we both got a chirashi box that had chefs choice in it. He didn't complain too much, but I also think that was the last time he had any sushi lol
For most people its either cause A. its raw and that makes them scared. B. the texture

Another hard thing to get people to try is Steak tartare
My parents and grandparents are the same way - still have that mentality that raw = bad. There's this place in Dallas (almost Richardson) called Kazy's. They're a fish wholesaler that handles a lot of the fish that various restaurants around the DFW Metroplex order. They also happen to have a small sushi cafe and a very small Japanese grocery attached. It's some damn good sushi! And for sure the absolute cheapest anywhere in DFW. I'm talking $2-2.5 for a pair of nigiri when they're $4-6 anywhere else. A mountain of steamed rice for $1, green tea for 50 cents. I guess when you're the wholesaler, you can offer your small amount of customers wholesale prices on their meals. Very low key hole in the wall, this place - very very cheap and very fresh.
Dang that place sounds legit. We have a large Japanese grocery store out this way...you can get sushi to go from their "deli" for a great price or stop at one of their ramen or bubble tea restaurants.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Like personally i cant eat dishes with sour cream.

My brother is the same way. Our homemade mashed potatoes have a block of cream cheese and tub of sour cream mixed in. Makes them so creamy!! I do love yogurt and eat it everyday. Vanilla Greek yogurt mixed with peanut butter is my usual lunch ?. Can't do cottage cheese (consistency).

He didn't complain too much, but I also think that was the last time he had any sushi lol

The last time I had it was about a year ago and that because someone else was paying for it. I would rather spend my money on something else to eat.

B. the texture

Yes texture can be hard to get over. Steak tartar does not look appetizing lol

I tried duck before and that was very good. Venison is good. I like crabs but don't particularly enjoy picking them. It's a lot of time and work for a little bit of meat.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
For most people its either cause A. its raw and that makes them scared. B. the texture

Dang that place sounds legit. We have a large Japanese grocery store out this way...you can get sushi to go from their "deli" for a great price or stop at one of their ramen or bubble tea restaurants.
Steak tartare is the truth. All you need to make sure is that it's a good cut of beef and it's basically guaranteed to be tasty. Had it with A4 wagyu at this other Japanese spot in NYC called Takashi. We also tried sweetbread (cow's thymus glands) and one of the stomachs. Wasn't a fan of the stomach (don't really do tripe either), but the sweetbread was actually not bad. They also had creamed calf brain but I'm not about to eat brain, especially cow brain, imma draw the line there.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
My brother is the same way. Our homemade mashed potatoes have a block of cream cheese and tub of sour cream mixed in. Makes them so creamy!! I do love yogurt and eat it everyday. Vanilla Greek yogurt mixed with peanut butter is my usual lunch ?. Can't do cottage cheese (consistency).

The last time I had it was about a year ago and that because someone else was paying for it. I would rather spend my money on something else to eat.

Yes texture can be hard to get over. Steak tartar does not look appetizing lol

I tried duck before and that was very good. Venison is good. I like crabs but don't particularly enjoy picking them. It's a lot of time and work for a little bit of meat.
*cottage cheese gross yeah, milk thats gone bad iono

*smell of greek yogurt, cant do it

*mashed potatos are always better with garlic and or bacon

*steak tartar definitely does not good appetizing

*duck is delicious when cooked correctly

*Costco , king crab legs like $23 a lb but you crack one open and you got tons of meat
Steak tartare is the truth. All you need to make sure is that it's a good cut of beef and it's basically guaranteed to be tasty. Had it with A4 wagyu at this other Japanese spot in NYC called Takashi. We also tried sweetbread (cow's thymus glands) and one of the stomachs. Wasn't a fan of the stomach (don't really do tripe either), but the sweetbread was actually not bad. They also had creamed calf brain but I'm not about to eat brain, especially cow brain, imma draw the line there.
Sushi and steak tartare...2 things id never make at home myself though lol

*Wagyu that good? is it one of those niche things like fatty pork belly?

*sweetbread ill pass lol

*damn torga, youre adventurous af

How im picturing you right now...

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Man, some of the weird shit is actually hella tasty. Not all of it - some of it tastes how it looks, or worse.
Wagyu is worth it but only when you know you're getting real wagyu. If you're at Applebee's and they've got a wagyu burger, I guarantee you won't taste a difference between a regular burger. If a wagyu burger is <$15 or if a wagyu steak is <$6/oz, you're very likely wasting your time and it's probably American black angus wagyu - not raised the same way at all, just wagyu by name alone. Essentially the same as any other beef, but they get to charge more because they cross-bred black angus with wagyu.
Real, legit wagyu is almost always from Japan (but there are some licensed farms in the US), and will always carry an A-grade designation (this is a Japanese grading system). A5 is the cream of the crop, A4 is hot on its heels, etc. down to A1. With the real stuff, there actually is a difference. The fat is so finely marbled that it lets the piece just melt in your mouth - it renders so perfectly when cooked.
Also, "Kobe beef" outside of Japan is a lie, unless it was flash-frozen and flown in. Kobe is like champagne - it's not Kobe unless the cow was raised in Kobe, Japan. Kobe is a sub-breed of Wagyu cattle and that's why some places in the US blur the lines.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
I never really even knew the difference between grades of meat until I got into smoking. Or maybe I just didn't pay attention to it, just thought filet mignon was the shit lol

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Man, some of the weird shit is actually hella tasty. Not all of it - some of it tastes how it looks, or worse.
Wagyu is worth it but only when you know you're getting real wagyu. If you're at Applebee's and they've got a wagyu burger, I guarantee you won't taste a difference between a regular burger. If a wagyu burger is <$15 or if a wagyu steak is <$6/oz, you're very likely wasting your time and it's probably American black angus wagyu - not raised the same way at all, just wagyu by name alone. Essentially the same as any other beef, but they get to charge more because they cross-bred black angus with wagyu.
Real, legit wagyu is almost always from Japan (but there are some licensed farms in the US), and will always carry an A-grade designation (this is a Japanese grading system). A5 is the cream of the crop, A4 is hot on its heels, etc. down to A1. With the real stuff, there actually is a difference. The fat is so finely marbled that it lets the piece just melt in your mouth - it renders so perfectly when cooked.
Also, "Kobe beef" outside of Japan is a lie, unless it was flash-frozen and flown in. Kobe is like champagne - it's not Kobe unless the cow was raised in Kobe, Japan. Kobe is a sub-breed of Wagyu cattle and that's why some places in the US blur the lines.
*Good information is good.

*Ive seen a lot of places claim wagyu beef

*iirc you can buy wagyu from costco i think it was in bulk online

*Same with kobe, alot of "fake" meat

*You ever watch "Worth It" food on youtube? They check out a lot of premium foods

*The best is when someone at dinner orders calamari and youre the only one at the table that will eat the bodies lol
I never really even knew the difference between grades of meat until I got into smoking. Or maybe I just didn't pay attention to it, just thought filet mignon was the shit lol
Filet mignon is the shit .

You can make skirt steak good by tenderizing it, cutting off some fat, marinating it overnight and grilling it over super high heat for a low amount of time.

Smoking meats isnt easy, have tried it. Its a science really.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I've seen a few of those Worth It videos, but I generally just watch cooking channels or a few different people go around eating street food or low key places.
The squid bodies are the best part of calamari.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
I've seen a few of those Worth It videos, but I generally just watch cooking channels or a few different people go around eating street food or low key places.
The squid bodies are the best part of calamari.

"The squid bodies are the best part of calamari." yep

PM'd you some youtubers (y) , feel free to respond here

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
Smoking meats isnt easy, have tried it. Its a science really.

It can be a lot of work too, and best to moderate the drinking. Best thing I ever did was a prime grade rib roast, brined turkey comes out super moist, ribs are hard... I did some once and they were a bit over done(too tender) and I about dropped and blew out the whole rack on the kitchen floor. My brother does some prime briskets that he gets from Costco and they always come out pretty gangster.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I love me a bit of the good 'ol bathroom camaraderie.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
It can be a lot of work too, and best to moderate the drinking. Best thing I ever did was a prime grade rib roast, brined turkey comes out super moist, ribs are hard... I did some once and they were a bit over done(too tender) and I about dropped and blew out the whole rack on the kitchen floor. My brother does some prime briskets that he gets from Costco and they always come out pretty gangster.
Brined turkey? Sounds delicious . Pickle juice is great for brines ?

In4brisket
I love me a bit of the good 'ol bathroom cosplay
a bit weird but whatever works

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6
Brined turkey? Sounds delicious . Pickle juice is great for brines ?

Yea I've read that on menus for chicken. Might need to try, I usually just throw breast in some salt water. The turkey one I use I saw on youtube.

At thanksgiving last year I was disappointed to see this overdone oven bird. So dry... lol. Couple days later I bought my own to have for personal use