GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Wireless charger

kevinao73

Car(s)
mk 7.5 golf R
I know this thread is a bit old but I ended up installing the OEM wireless charger and wanted to report back. It works great 👍

View attachment 235526

Just a note for anyone who wants to order it - I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and I have to take it out of its case for it to fit. But any phone smaller than that would have no problem at all. It's pretty awesome because now I can have wireless CarPlay and charge my phone at the same time. You can see I've velcro'ed the CarPlay adapter to the ceiling of the compartment.

You do kinda need to remove the glovebox to install it though. If you don't have the cooled AC glovebox, I recommend you order that too and you can do both these mods at the same time.

I used this thread as a guide: https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/12055/. Though, I took some liberties with the wiring because I just wanted to get the center console back together again quickly. Instead of running the +12V wire, ground and BCM wire from the compartment over to the fuse box, I cut all of them much shorter and just spliced +12V and ground into the cigarette lighter wires. I did not even try to attach the one wire to the BCM - it works fine without it and my guess is it's for charging while the ignition is off, which I don't particularly need. Then the two final wires plug into the gray connector in the quad-lock of the infotainment in the glovebox.

I could have made it even easier on myself by ordering one of these (just the harness). Then there is no need to splice into the existing wires.

For coding, all you need to do is enable bit 0 and bit 5 in byte 15 of module 5F's long coding.

Definitely recommend it!
That's awesome!! I really like the wireless charging in my gf's Taos, and having wire wrapped around the shifter is sometimes annoying. Thanks so much for the write up! will look into that for sure!

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
Nice write-up.
I did this retrofit in my previous car and managed to wire it exactly as from the factory. That one wire that should go to BCM relates to the keyless access (dont ask me how it is connected, i didnt have kessy, but read in the same topic at ross-tech I think). I tried to put 12V to the charger before the installation to test it and it didnt work at all, but I read somewhere that these chargers work on the basis of CAN signal from the infortainment - it must be connected. Fortunately, it worked.

Frankly, I expected a little bit more from it. I use the wireless carplay adapter, too (carlinkit). When using wireless carplay and charging at the same time, the phone (iPhone 12) didnt charge very much, even not at all sometimes and it got quite hot, but at least it was not discharging. Now, I dont have this feature, though the world without the wires is great, however, the wires always work :)

Last edited:

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Nice write-up.
I did this retrofit in my previous car and managed to wire it exactly as from the factory. That one wire that should go to BCM relates to the keyless access (dont ask me how it is connected, i didnt have kessy, but read in the same topic at ross-tech I think). I tried to put 12V to the charger before the installation to test it and it didnt work at all, but I read somewhere that these chargers work on the basis of CAN signal from the infortainment - it must be connected. Fortunately, it worked.

Frankly, I expected a little bit more from it. I use the wireless carplay adapter, too (carlinkit). When using wireless carplay and charging at the same time, the phone (iPhone 12) didnt charge very much, even not at all sometimes and it got quite hot, but at least it was not discharging. Now, I dont have this feature, though the world without the wires is great, however, the wires always work :)
You have more patience than I do lol. That's great. It's definitely a nice-to-have feature as opposed to necessary. My iPhone does charge, but not too fast. I have also tried an iPhone 8 and it charges like crazy, at least 1% per minute. The 12 Pro Max has a huge battery compared to the 8 so maybe that's why.

Since you had the wiring done properly, were you able to charge your phone when the car is off? Just curious.

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant
Charger is definitely giving some juice to the phone, but it is much more effective when using just Bluetooth connection with the infotainment. I wanted that mainly because of the wireless carplay. So if anybody is thinking about it that way, I think it will be a little disappointment. But as you told, nice to have feature.

No, the charging went off after few minutes.

catatonicChimp

Car(s)
2016 Golf Mk7 R-Line
I am looking to also do this retrofit next month, just sorting which parts I need to do this for RHD car as all the parts on AliExpress are LHD.
For ref for those looking to RHD retrofit:
5G2 863 391K 82V (Cubby)
5G2 863 328E 82V (Cubby Rubber Insert)

In the new style cubby with the wireless charger, (from the photos and your videos @2018gti) there appears to be only a slot for USB and nothing for the AUX connector. Did you relocate yours, remove it entirely or am I just blind?

Cheers

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I am looking to also do this retrofit next month, just sorting which parts I need to do this for RHD car as all the parts on AliExpress are LHD.
5G2 863 391K 82V (Cubby)

In the new style cubby with the wireless charger, (from the photos and your videos @2018gti) there appears to be only a slot for USB and nothing for the AUX connector. Did you relocate yours, remove it entirely or am I just blind?

Cheers
Sorry for the delay, yeah so the Aux jack I just left out of commission, I unplugged it and taped the plug to the USB wires. I never ever used it anyway. Then you take out the USB port from the old one and plug it into the new. So just USB now.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I know this thread is a bit old but I ended up installing the OEM wireless charger and wanted to report back. It works great 👍

View attachment 235526

Just a note for anyone who wants to order it - I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and I have to take it out of its case for it to fit. But any phone smaller than that would have no problem at all. It's pretty awesome because now I can have wireless CarPlay and charge my phone at the same time. You can see I've velcro'ed the CarPlay adapter to the ceiling of the compartment.

You do kinda need to remove the glovebox to install it though. If you don't have the cooled AC glovebox, I recommend you order that too and you can do both these mods at the same time.

I used this thread as a guide: https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/12055/. Though, I took some liberties with the wiring because I just wanted to get the center console back together again quickly. Instead of running the +12V wire, ground and BCM wire from the compartment over to the fuse box, I cut all of them much shorter and just spliced +12V and ground into the cigarette lighter wires. I did not even try to attach the one wire to the BCM - it works fine without it and my guess is it's for charging while the ignition is off, which I don't particularly need. Then the two final wires plug into the gray connector in the quad-lock of the infotainment in the glovebox.

I could have made it even easier on myself by ordering one of these (just the harness). Then there is no need to splice into the existing wires.

For coding, all you need to do is enable bit 0 and bit 5 in byte 15 of module 5F's long coding.

Definitely recommend it!
Do you have the part number for the usb socket?

Genebaby

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
5G2 863 391K 82V (Cubby)

Cheers
I've been on the lookout for this for two years for a RHD car as well, all the cubby and cubby insert options are for LHD cars for some reason. My cubby is already only USB, AUX is long gone.

I currently have the Inbay system and it would be better with an update for larger phones. It didn't fit my old S20+ very well, and it's worse with my S22 Ultra. I did that with the new kit that can power it via the fuse box and it supposedly charges quicker, and is a LOT less intrusive than getting to the cigarrete lighter for power. I already did that once to install the rear USB ports, don't want to go near that again.

So yeah, it slides around a lot and seems hit and miss with the charging, but it's better than nothing and I do run a wireless Android Auto device so wireless charging is a great thing to have. A working one anyhow.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Does the wireless charger require being plugged into the MIB? Or can I just tap the power and be done with it?

I don't really care about the notification, I'll be able to tell via CarPlay if its working.

The antenna part sounds interesting but not sure its worth the hassle.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Does the wireless charger require being plugged into the MIB? Or can I just tap the power and be done with it?

I don't really care about the notification, I'll be able to tell via CarPlay if its working.

I’m not sure, I can try to disable it in coding and see if it still works? If I was going to do it again I wouldn’t hook it up either, the notification is not worth the work.

I’ve been just plugging in my phone these days - so much for the wireless charger lol.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I’m not sure, I can try to disable it in coding and see if it still works? If I was going to do it again I wouldn’t hook it up either, the notification is not worth the work.

I’ve been just plugging in my phone these days - so much for the wireless charger lol.
But what about completeness? 😁

misor1994

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf GTD Variant

Yes, it does. The charger unit wont work without the connection to MIB.

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
In the pic of the harness, I would cut off the red connector, and those will be your bare 12V and ground. And then the two white plugs go under the center console (under the cupholders basically), connecting the cigarette socket and the original cig wires. So you don't have to mess up your original wires like I did lol. Not super necessary or anything but I would have liked to do it that way.
I am working on this retrofit and have the wiring to the MIB main unit completed. Is there an easy way to access the 12 V plug for the cigarette socket without removing the center console for NAR GTIs? In the videos of Golf Rs and RoW spec Golfs, it looks like there are additional panels that can be removed which would make it a lot easier.