GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Wireless charger

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
Looks like we need to replace the interior cubby also this kit looks like it’s everything you need

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msA8CST

A27368D9-10F6-4207-ADD1-27EECE43550C.jpeg

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I bought a Inbay Wireless Charger a couple years ago from ECS (I think). Phone slides off on hard turns but it works. You need to drill a hole in the back of the OEM cubby.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I know this thread is a bit old but I ended up installing the OEM wireless charger and wanted to report back. It works great 👍

IMG_0113.jpeg

Just a note for anyone who wants to order it - I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and I have to take it out of its case for it to fit. But any phone smaller than that would have no problem at all. It's pretty awesome because now I can have wireless CarPlay and charge my phone at the same time. You can see I've velcro'ed the CarPlay adapter to the ceiling of the compartment.

You do kinda need to remove the glovebox to install it though. If you don't have the cooled AC glovebox, I recommend you order that too and you can do both these mods at the same time.

I used this thread as a guide: https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/12055/. Though, I took some liberties with the wiring because I just wanted to get the center console back together again quickly. Instead of running the +12V wire, ground and BCM wire from the compartment over to the fuse box, I cut all of them much shorter and just spliced +12V and ground into the cigarette lighter wires. I did not even try to attach the one wire to the BCM - it works fine without it and my guess is it's for charging while the ignition is off, which I don't particularly need. Then the two final wires plug into the gray connector in the quad-lock of the infotainment in the glovebox.

I could have made it even easier on myself by ordering one of these (just the harness). Then there is no need to splice into the existing wires.

For coding, all you need to do is enable bit 0 and bit 5 in byte 15 of module 5F's long coding.

Definitely recommend it!

Last edited:

QuasiAutomotive

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I know this thread is a bit old but I ended up installing the OEM wireless charger and wanted to report back. It works great 👍

View attachment 235526

Just a note for anyone who wants to order it - I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and I have to take it out of its case for it to fit. But any phone smaller than that would have no problem at all. It's pretty awesome because now I can have wireless CarPlay and charge my phone at the same time. You can see I've velcro'ed the CarPlay adapter to the ceiling of the compartment.

You do kinda need to remove the glovebox to install it though. If you don't have the cooled AC glovebox, I recommend you order that too and you can do both these mods at the same time.

I used this thread as a guide: https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/12055/. Though, I took some liberties with the wiring because I just wanted to get the center console back together again quickly. Instead of running the +12V wire, ground and BCM wire from the compartment over to the fuse box, I cut all of them much shorter and just spliced +12V and ground into the cigarette lighter wires. I did not even try to attach the one wire to the BCM - it works fine without it and my guess is it's for charging while the ignition is off, which I don't particularly need. Then the two final wires plug into the gray connector in the quad-lock of the infotainment in the glovebox.

I could have made it even easier on myself by ordering one of these (just the harness). Then there is no need to splice into the existing wires.

For coding, all you need to do is enable bit 0 and bit 5 in byte 15 of module 5F's long coding.

Definitely recommend it!
I love you. I just want you to know that.

So, just to be clear, with that harness there's no need to splice into the 12v cigarette lighter (or fuse box)? Does it just plug into the infotainment?

Sorry if this is dumb; it's 4am and I'm excited.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I love you. I just want you to know that.

So, just to be clear, with that harness there's no need to splice into the 12v cigarette lighter (or fuse box)? Does it just plug into the infotainment?

Sorry if this is dumb; it's 4am and I'm excited.
I'm just happy it's helpful bro 😁

Let me clarify, with that harness you'd still need to solder/crimp/etc, but you'd be cutting the harness, not the car's thick cigarette lighter wires 🚬 In the pic of the harness, I would cut off the red connector, and those will be your bare 12V and ground. And then the two white plugs go under the center console (under the cupholders basically), connecting the cigarette socket and the original cig wires. So you don't have to mess up your original wires like I did lol. Not super necessary or anything but I would have liked to do it that way.

Maybe I'll take a video of it working to show off haha.

Besides that, 2 small wires need to go to the infotainment. I would have liked to do it "the right way" and wire over to the fuses and BCM but for me I tried to find a good route without interfering with anything and then I just gave up. I am gonna try, though, to switch my 🚬 fuse to be always on and see what happens, maybe it won't shut off as soon as I turn off the ignition then.

QuasiAutomotive

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I'm just happy it's helpful bro 😁

Let me clarify, with that harness you'd still need to solder/crimp/etc, but you'd be cutting the harness, not the car's thick cigarette lighter wires 🚬 In the pic of the harness, I would cut off the red connector, and those will be your bare 12V and ground. And then the two white plugs go under the center console (under the cupholders basically), connecting the cigarette socket and the original cig wires. So you don't have to mess up your original wires like I did lol. Not super necessary or anything but I would have liked to do it that way.

Maybe I'll take a video of it working to show off haha.

Besides that, 2 small wires need to go to the infotainment. I would have liked to do it "the right way" and wire over to the fuses and BCM but for me I tried to find a good route without interfering with anything and then I just gave up. I am gonna try, though, to switch my 🚬 fuse to be always on and see what happens, maybe it won't shut off as soon as I turn off the ignition then.
I think I got it. I just installed a 12v quick charger socket in place of the cigarette lighter so I get where you're at. I may be able to use a tap slice... I also have some other electrical stuff hanging around. I'll have to let in stew in the back of my mind for a while. But a video would be great. First, I need to make sure I can enable those bits before I go ordering anything else.

I've been mulling over adding wireless charging for a while and last night I finally decided to research it and BOOM, you had the answer.

As for keeping the 12v powered, I believe there are people who do it for their dash cams so I'm certain there's a way.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I've been mulling over adding wireless charging for a while and last night I finally decided to research it and BOOM, you had the answer.
Telepathic dude 🧠 🧠 😂 That’s honestly crazy because I have had it installed for 2+ months and finally decided to write about it just because.

I just installed a 12v quick charger socket in place of the cigarette lighter so I get where you're at
Yup that’s exactly where it is.

If you have OBD11 it’s super easy to code, just set “byte_15_baseplate” to installed in Long coding.

QuasiAutomotive

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
If you have OBD11 it’s super easy to code, just set “byte_15_baseplate” to installed in Long coding.
Went out and did it right before you messaged me. Enabling the baseplate options went smoothly. Sometimes OBDeleven coding likes to play hard to get.

Okay, I'll order the kit and harness and figure the rest out once all of it arrives. I'll have to wait for warmer weather for installation since I don't have a garage. You're in the same part of the country, you know what it's like.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion