GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM Clutches - different per year/model?

JPB WORLDWIDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 Golf R, RIP GTI S
Hey all,

Recently just purchased a 2019 R and still have my 2015 GTI S. I bought the GTI with 40k mi and worked on it over the years. That being said, I have a buddy who also drives a GTI, but a 2019 model as well and I have a serious inquiry about stock clutches.

My 2019 R and his 19 GTI both have smooth softer clutch feel, and my 2015 has quite the bite and is much tenser (in a great way) than both other clutches. I do not have the ability to crack open the tranny and find out whether there's an aftermarket clutch in there nor do i want to pay someone to find out. Where there differences in clutches from the 2015 models (GTI and R included) or might I have bought the car with an aftermarket kit on it? Any info is appreciated!

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Sounds like the 2015 has an aftermarket clutch. All of the stock clutches in these cars are super light, and not very 'tense' as you described

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
anyone else have any insight?

he’s right. All of them are the same and I have personally owned a 2015 6MT GTI and currently own a 2019 Alltrack 6MT (which has the same clutch as the 2019 Golf R) and all of them felt identical. Your 2015 has an upgraded clutch

JPB WORLDWIDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 Golf R, RIP GTI S
good idea -

And I have a weird answer now, and consider it an unsolved mystery now. lol

SO! I went out and checked both cars for the clutch assist spring and found that the GTI has one and the R doesn't. That being said, the link you referred to me said this - which is backwards from how I'm understanding it.

"Whilst this spring reduces the effort required to push the clutch in, it can cause vagueness in the clutch and reduce precision of your clutch movements. Many performance drivers choose to remove the spring as a result."

The GTI is the car with the tighter more grippy clutch and it has the spring installed. The R is the softer by far and has no spring! WTF!

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
good idea -

And I have a weird answer now, and consider it an unsolved mystery now. lol

SO! I went out and checked both cars for the clutch assist spring and found that the GTI has one and the R doesn't. That being said, the link you referred to me said this - which is backwards from how I'm understanding it.

"Whilst this spring reduces the effort required to push the clutch in, it can cause vagueness in the clutch and reduce precision of your clutch movements. Many performance drivers choose to remove the spring as a result."

The GTI is the car with the tighter more grippy clutch and it has the spring installed. The R is the softer by far and has no spring! WTF!
That spring only makes a small difference, and I noticed it more when letting off the clutch than pushing in. You're not going to notice it nearly as much as an aftermarket clutch

JPB WORLDWIDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 Golf R, RIP GTI S
Word - well, after driving the R for a week without touching the GTI the clutch is monsterous! LOL Anyway, I had the peeps at the tune shop step on the pedal just to confirm and they all think its aftermarket as well. High TQ map here I come! If i get any slippage would be east to tune down. Will report back soon.

That being said - with the clutch being in already, what should the GTI get power wise next? (Besides front mount for track days)

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Word - well, after driving the R for a week without touching the GTI the clutch is monsterous! LOL Anyway, I had the peeps at the tune shop step on the pedal just to confirm and they all think its aftermarket as well. High TQ map here I come! If i get any slippage would be east to tune down. Will report back soon.

That being said - with the clutch being in already, what should the GTI get power wise next? (Besides front mount for track days)
first post has all the info you need- https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/top-10-mk7-mods.381660/