GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM 8" MIB 2.5 (MK7.5) Display

MauricioGTI

Go Kart Newbie
HELLO GUYS !!!

The displays with Nav button ran out!!

all sold out !!

In a couple of weeks I will get a new batch (hopefully) , but price will increase a little bit

I still have some display with APP button left, dont miss the opportunity !!! few units left :)

hello Guys !!

I got a new batch of Nav displays :)

Please send me a PM message if you'd like to have yours ! :love::love::love::love:

MauricioGTI

Go Kart Newbie
WhatsApp Image 2021-06-06 at 17.38.26.jpeg

RAD GTI 1984

Car(s)
GTI
Just wanted to thank Mauricio/Denise and give another data point for other people interested in this mod. Shipping was smooooooooth....from brazil to california in under a week!

Installation was tedious but not technically difficult on my mk7 GTI autobahn. The hardest part of the job was not breaking any tabs and placing the new piano black trim back on once the new screen was installed. Lots of great videos on youtube to help (I'll link the 2 install videos I watched that were helpful).

My original carbon fiber looking trim remove did not go smoothly...for some reason my a/c vent ducts did not want to come out with the carbon fiber oem faceplate trim(this was probably user error on my part) and my original face plate came off with the a/c ducts still being left behind o_O. This resulted in a few broken clips on my original trim. I was able to free the a/c vent ducts eventually. Whatever.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned online before was that oem silver bezel surround trim around the ac vent ducts need to be moved over (along with the oem ac vent ducts) to the new replacement piano black trim plate. This silver bezel will not fit the new piano black trim plate unless you cut off a couple black plastic pegs on the backside of the new replacement piano black trim plate. These pegs were not present on the backside of my original carbon fiber looking gti trim. You'll see it immediately, and its a super simple modification with just a pair of pliers/snips/knife etc.

The new screen is plug and play and easy. Getting the bottom part of the piano black trim (the part underneath your new 8" screen) clipped in was a pain, and required more muscle than I thought would be needed. It's a super tight fit, and it almost appeared like it wouldn't work or that something was not lined up. Specifically, some black support pegs wouldn't clear the bottom of edge the screen. But if you muscle it within reason, the pegs will flex out of the way, and allow you to clip the bottom of the plate back in...all without damage to the new screen.

You'll get a bunch of error codes when you reconnect your battery and restart your car. These go away after driving and a few start/stop engine cycles.

There aren't too many pictures of the original "Carbon Fiber" GTI trim next to the piano black trim. So here are mine below. I personally like the contrast. It makes the screen pop more, and there's already lot of piano black throughout our cars, so I don't think it looks out of place.

This new screen is a game changer. It's so much more pleasant to view. It's like going from a blackberry to an iphone in 2008 if you know what I'm saying.

Note: my knobs are all covered with LEYO motorsports knurled aluminum trim and not oem. I also chose the non-nav version even though my car has nav. I found the button shortcut layout on the non-nav version much more useful than the nav version, and I still have access to all my original features.

Links to videos that help with install:

Last edited:

DaRock1459

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 VW Golf R
Just wanted to thank Mauricio/Denise and give another data point for other people interested in this mod. Shipping was smooooooooth....from brazil to california in under a week!

Installation was tedious but not technically difficult on my mk7 GTI autobahn. The hardest part of the job was not breaking any tabs and placing the new piano black trim back on once the new screen was installed. Lots of great videos on youtube to help (I'll link the 2 install videos I watched that were helpful).

My original carbon fiber looking trim remove did not go smoothly...for some reason my a/c vent ducts did not want to come out with the carbon fiber oem faceplate trim(this was probably user error on my part) and my original face plate came off with the a/c ducts still being left behind o_O. This resulted in a few broken clips on my original trim. I was able to free the a/c vent ducts eventually. Whatever.

One thing that I didn't see mentioned online before was that oem silver bezel surround trim around the ac vent ducts need to be moved over (along with the oem ac vent ducts) to the new replacement piano black trim plate. This silver bezel will not fit the new piano black trim plate unless you cut off a couple black plastic pegs on the backside of the new replacement piano black trim plate. These pegs were not present on the backside of my original carbon fiber looking gti trim. You'll see it immediately, and its a super simple modification with just a pair of pliers/snips/knife etc.

The new screen is plug and play and easy. Getting the bottom part of the piano black trim (the part underneath your new 8" screen) clipped in was a pain, and required more muscle than I thought would be needed. It's a super tight fit, and it almost appeared like it wouldn't work or that something was not lined up. Specifically, some black support pegs wouldn't clear the bottom of edge the screen. But if you muscle it within reason, the pegs will flex out of the way, and allow you to clip the bottom of the plate back in...all without damage to the new screen.

You'll get a bunch of error codes when you reconnect your battery and restart your car. These go away after driving and a few start/stop engine cycles.

There aren't too many pictures of the original "Carbon Fiber" GTI trim next to the piano black trim. So here are mine below. I personally like the contrast. It makes the screen pop more, and there's already lot of piano black throughout our cars, so I don't think it looks out of place.

This new screen is a game changer. It's so much more pleasant to view. It's like going from a blackberry to an iphone in 2008 if you know what I'm saying.

Note: my knobs are all covered with LEYO motorsports knurled aluminum trim and not oem. I also chose the non-nav version even though my car has nav. I found the button shortcut layout on the non-nav version much more useful than the nav version, and I still have access to all my original features.

Links to videos that help with install:
So the Leyo volume and tuning knobs do fit with no modifications? I've always been wondering this since the Leyo website mentions that they don't. I'm glad to see this.

RAD GTI 1984

Car(s)
GTI
So the Leyo volume and tuning knobs do fit with no modifications? I've always been wondering this since the Leyo website mentions that they don't. I'm glad to see this.
yup! Can confirm they fit right out of the box. I was worried too because the new mib2 knobs use a rubberized knob whereas my original GTI volume/power knobs were made of hard plastic. They transferred over to my new mib2 knobs as if they were meant to be.

Lucky#Slevin

Go Kart Newbie
yup! Can confirm they fit right out of the box. I was worried too because the new mib2 knobs use a rubberized knob whereas my original GTI volume/power knobs were made of hard plastic. They transferred over to my new mib2 knobs as if they were meant to be.
Ya I’m using the LeYo on mine as well no issues..

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Opinions of those who have seen both...which looks better with the stock honeycomb faux carbon fiber of the 2017 GTI, the piano black or the silver?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Opinions of those who have seen both...which looks better with the stock honeycomb faux carbon fiber of the 2017 GTI, the piano black or the silver?

Neither. Any of the mismatched trims look janky.