GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM+ 2-DOOR MKVII

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Going to take the opportunity to record OEM+ updates to my 2015 MK7. I'm not that much of a car guy but I hope to learn a lot through the process. Thanks in advance for anyone who follows along👌
  • 02/02/2019 - After my 2009 City Golf (MKIV) was written off in an accident, I used the cheque to put a down payment on a used 2015 2-Door Autobahn GTI (DSG) with 146,000km. I decided to go with high mileage due to affordability and a 1-owner record with an extremely detailed service history through one VW dealership. It was the only 2-door in the province I could find at the time. Purchased the car for $16,000 CAD out the door.
DSC_0337.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

TLDR Part List;
  • Replaced under VW corrosion warranty;
    • New OE driver’s side door.
    • New OE tailgate.
    • New OE front fenders (pair).
  • New OE master switch.
  • New OE front bumper. No more License plate holes..
  • New OE shifter/leather boot.
  • New OE european rear cloth headrests.
  • New OE fuel injectors P/N 06A 906 036 Q.
  • OE TCR steering wheel.
  • OE PP brake calipers/carriers (front only, swapped up from non-PP). Black Badgeskin decal overlays.
  • OE 19” Pretoria wheels (factory black). Sourced from a 2019 Golf R.
  • OE 8” touchscreen upgrade from 5.8”. Sourced from a 2016 GTI performance model.
  • OE MIB2 Discover Pro unit retrofit P/N 3G0 035 047. Sourced from a 2017 Golf R.
  • OEM Roof Rack P/N 5G3 071 126.
  • OSRAM LEDriving headlights.
  • OSRAM LEDriving dynamic LED mirror indicators (black).
  • Volkswagen (Helix) Subwoofer
  • NGK Laser Platinum Plugs.
  • US Millworks aluminum license plate mount with tow-hook bracket.
  • deAuto red accented LED upgrade for footwells. Having bad flickering with these..
  • Continental Extreme Contact DSW06+ tires 235/35/19. (Pretoria's for Summer).
  • Continental VikingContact 7 tires 235/45/18. (Austin's for Winter).
On hand, yet to be installed;
  • OE front fog lights + Kufatec wiring harness, will be a 2024 summer project/retrofit.
    • Supporting OE parts need to be ordered;
    • 5GM.853.665 D9B9 (Left Trim)
    • 5GM.853.666 D9B9 (Right Trim)
    • 5GM.853.949 9B9 (Left, fog lamp end plate)
    • 5GM.853.950 9B9 (Right, fog lamp end plate)
    • 5GM.807.723 A (Left bumper support retainer w/fog opening)
    • 5GM.807.724 A (Right bumper support retainer w/fog opening)
    • N91.090.701 (Fog Lamp Bolt x4)
    • 000.979.009 E (Fog light trigger wire)
  • Euro light switch P/N 5G0 941 431 BD.
  • Euro tails (Purchased) with @ZERO815 harness.
  • Camshaft position sensor P/N 04C 907 601 K
  • Ignition switch P/N 5G1 959 839 A3Q7
  • Upstream 02 sensor P/N 06K 906 262 CS
  • Hatch emblem P/N 1K0 853 675 AJ 739
  • HPFP P/N 06L 127 025 N (60,000km used)
  • Various Badgeskins, will update with pictures when installed.
Near-future plans;
  • New set of lugs.
  • Intake manifold position sensor P/N 06K 907 386 D
  • Diagnose manifold errors.
  • Exhaust options;
    • Clubsport muffler with custom diffuser/Golf R tips or
    • Remus Quad-tip exhaust.
Wishlist, projected order of install;
  • Oetteger wing P/N 5G0 071 644 BGRU
  • EQT coilovers, suggestions welcome. Currently driving around with a snapped coil.
  • IE Gen 3 intake.
  • IE Gen 2 intercooler (Or OEM Golf R).
  • Refinish Pretorias/Ceramic coat.
  • EBC Brakes 272mm rear slotted rotors.
  • EBC Brakes 340mm front slotted rotors.
  • EBC ‘Red Stuff’ performance brake pads.
  • APR Braided SS brake lines.
  • Roof bars/basket. 2-door rack is hard to find on the used market..
  • Puddle lights from Rocketwire.
  • Folding mirror retrofit. USP motorsports has a great kit.
  • Carbon hood. Hood was just resprayed/new PPF so this is lower down now.
Current look;

1691604939358.png

PXL_20231001_221938859~2.jpg

PXL_20231001_231455809~2.jpg

Last edited:

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
  • 02/02/2019 - Car was purchased at 146k km. 2015 GTI 2-Door DSG. This was pre-facelift, so there was no Fender audio, carplay, navigation, lane-assist, fog lights etc. The Autobahn model came stock with halogen lamps in the first half of 2015, and this particular one came with cloth interior and a sunroof which were two things I was looking for. I had a multi-point inspection done at my dealership and it was full green.
10/21/2021 At about 176k km the first signs major repair started to show.
  • Rear brake cable was seized up so I haven't been able to use my parking brake until I get it sorted.​
  • More importantly, I had a seized wastegate at the end of the year and the dealership quoted a whopping 3500$ CAD to replace the turbo. Couldn't afford it at the time and drove with a limp turbo for about 4 months.​
  • Lastly, there was a coolant leak at the thermostat housing, as well as near the rear cylinder head. Had the thermostat housing and water pump replaced for good measure.​
02/11/2022 After waiting 7 months, my corrosion warranty claim through VW Canada was approved. I had rust coming through at each rear quarter panel where the fender meets the bumper, rust under the driver's rear-view mirror, and rust coming out through the rubber grommets under the tailgate. The dealership replaced the driver's side door and tailgate with factory OEM parts. The rest of the rust at the fenders was refinished and repainted. Since it was in the shop, I had two dents fixed as well; one from someone opening their door into my driver's rear quarter panel, as well as a large dent in the lower passenger's rear quarter panel where someone parked into the car in my work parking lot. As of this writing, the body looks brand new.

02/17/2022 Went to an independent shop and had the wastegate repaired on the existing turbo as well as a DSG service done.
  • 03/30/2022 - Finally hit a raccoon so I could claim a clean bumper through insurance. This allowed me to justify my first major cosmetic mod I've made to the car to update the look. I installed OSRAM LED driving lights for the OEM+ look over the halogens, complete with the red GTI pinstripe through the housing. Additionally, I Installed the US Millworks front plate bracket since front plates are still required.

DSC_0341.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

Last edited:

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
No OEM fog lights?
Unfortunately no, the first half of 2015 was weird in Canada. After the first half of the year they re-did the model lineup for the 2015.5 round of the mk7 and added in the lighting packages with fogs. It had me confused at first but I confirmed my trim with the dealership using the VIN.

Been thinking about doing a fog retrofit but not until after I do a couple other things first. Going to be upgrading the MIB unit and as you probably already know, redoing all the brakes.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Got lucky early this month and found someone on Facebook marketplace gutting their 2016 performance model with their kid to make a track car. Paid $250 CAD for a like-new 8" screen complete with honeycomb trim. Might buy a base retrofit unit pre-programed from EuroZone when funding will allow. For those interested, I confirmed with Bill at EuroZone that this part number will fit with their base kit package.

Attachments

• DSC_0492.JPG
    DSC_0492.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 118
  • DSC_0495.JPG
    DSC_0495.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 118
  • DSC_0494.JPG
    DSC_0494.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Adding some images of the plate tow-hook bracket. Lightweight model version purchased from US Millworks. If you have parking sensors (mine does not) you will need this model as it has more holes for a wider variety of mounting positions to avoid blocking the sensors.

Attachments

• DSC_0447.JPG
    DSC_0447.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 92
  • DSC_0445.JPG
    DSC_0445.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0443.JPG
    DSC_0443.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 93

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
You should look into buying aerofabb’s front “chin” spoiler. I have it on my GTI and I think it adds to the OEM+ build you are going for.

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
Looks good! I was looking into their street edition and was also referred to the Maxton Design V2 for the 7. So much stuff I want to do but have to slowly pace it. Thanks for the suggestion 👌👌
Of course man, no problem!

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
In the position to trade for some Belvedere's locally. Always loved the look of them but torn between those and getting black Pretorias instead. Added some pics (not my car) for comparison.
Might not be an apples to apples as my 2015 isn't deep black pearl, it's whatever the black was prior.
Dealership quoted 2,400CAD for a new set of Prets w Continental DWS06+, but sometimes pop up on FB marketplace used. Belvedere's would cost me about 1500 in a local trade (10k on them with tires), and I've never seen a used set for sale.

Thoughts on one vs. the other?

1654725849817.png
1654725963429.png

Last edited:

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
When I bought the car the stock steering wheel and shifter had some serious wear. Got a new shifter/boot coming in the mail but also picked up an OEM TCR wheel from Facebook Marketplace. Watched it for a few weeks and the price was all the way down to 350CAD (270usd) so I thought I would go for it.

Owner purchased it from ECS had it on their car for about 5k km, but then upgraded to a thicker wheel. I always liked the feel of stock and this OEM upgrade is the exact same feel.

DSC_0778.JPG

Realizing now I forgot to mention, small upgrade with the deAuto LED footwell lights a couple weeks ago.

Attachments

• DSC_0780.JPG
    DSC_0780.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0781.JPG
    DSC_0781.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0783.JPG
    DSC_0783.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 72

BTE

Passed Driver's Ed
How do you like the Osram lights? There isn't much info/feedback on them as there is on the other alternative headlight options.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
How do you like the Osram lights? There isn't much info/feedback on them as there is on the other alternative headlight options.
The OSRAMS I would say are definitely worth the price if you're going from halogens. They look extremely clean and OEM, I haven't had any problems with condensation or jitter at all. The have a nice white light, some pictures I've seen in overcast weather make them look a little yellow, but I can say without a doubt they look white in all conditions.

My only small complaint is that the dynamic turn signal LED's (the orange ones) aren't diffused like on the Audis. You can see each individual LED but it's really not that big of a deal, I just kind of wish they were as diffused/clean looking as the daytime runners.

Overall though I'm really happy with them. They look really clean on and off, the housing themselves don't have that much chrome in them so they look really sharp and almost tinted which is a really clean look with the black. I can post some more pictures/video later today when I'm off work if you're interested. If you're also looking to buy them let me know and I can send you info on how to order from where I got them, can avoid tax and such if you email them directly.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Found some 19" Pretoria's on FB Marketplace. Really clean, however some caveats;
  • Not originally black, powdercoated by the dealership for the original owner. Looks like a pretty solid paint job though.
  • One small 4mm rash on one rim, not bad though tbh.
I haven't had them balanced yet, seller was pretty honest and showed me pictures of his totaled R. He had these on the car but then bought OZ's and swapped the tires over before it was totaled. Confirmed with the pictures it was wrecked with the OZ's on it. Going in for 180k service on Monday so I'll ask to get them balanced, fingers crossed. Unfortunately can't afford tires yet, need to purchase pads/rotors and get the brakes done, as well as a carbon clean before I can get tires. Slow process but getting closer to how I've always wanted it to look.

A little worried about rough roads on the 19's. Does anyone have tire size recommendations for stock height? Looking for as much sidewall as I can get away with since the roads around my place are terrible.
Cheers,

DSC_0813[1].JPG

Last edited: