GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM 17" wheels that clear PP/R calipers

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Hey all, I've done aftermarket wheels for winter enough times to know that they rarely hold up anywhere near as well as OE wheels against corrosive ice prevention chemicals or potholes, so I'm looking for some 17" VW wheels that will definitely fit my R. I don't see a comprehensive list anywhere, but I've found some possibilities so far.

The nicest ones I've seen so far are these, which I'm guessing must be Sima wheels.

It seems like the Silex also fits:

The Goal seems to fit.

Another obvious option seems like the Tronic/Dijon that VW lists.

Denvers fit.

Porto seems to fit:

As far as I can tell, this is a le mans.

Are there other good options that fit in the VW parts bin? A quick Google search didn't find much other than those. I see conflicting reports on the 17" goal, so it must be a tight fit, but they don't do it for me asthetically so it's not of much consequence.

--Matt

Last edited:

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
17" Avus wheels from a 1997-2002 (B5?) S4 clear the PP calipers on my GTI Sport without issue.

Last edited:

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Updated OP with more confirmed options.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
I went with Portos and 215/50R17 X-Ice3. Looks like a pretty good deal for $400 for all 4 brand new wheels (thanks eBay)

I explained the tight fitment to the guy at the tire shop that mounted the tires, and he balanced them with all the wights on the inner side of the barrel rather than outside, so there were no issues. It is worth noting that only the skinnier variety of balancing weights will fit up front. It's not evident in this pic, but there's approximately 1/4" thanks to the lip behind the face.

Last edited:

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
17x7" Classix from a 2006 Jetta, fresh from powder coating, so I can keep the Rabbit Edition gloss black look even on winter tires.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

DUSlider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16' GTI SE/PP
I've got 17x7.5" OEM Anthracite Goals as my winter wheels for my PP GTI, which as far as I know uses the same brakes as the R. They fit fine as long as the knucklehead who mounts your tires isn't dumb about wheel weight placement and application.

chuncomunco

Passed Driver's Ed
VW CC Phoenix wheels.

17x8 et41 clears PP brakes on my GTI with plenty of room. Should be able to clear R brakes.

Wheels have a nice offset in case you don't want to run spacers.

Last edited:

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Can confirm OEM 17" Karthoum wheels clear with a few MM to spare.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Hey, when we say these wheels fit a Golf R.

Goal 17" fits? or 18" ...I was looking for 17" wheels for my R.
17s. This thread is for 17" wheels like the title says. There's a pic of 17" Goal wheels in the OP.