GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM 17" wheels that clear PP/R calipers

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Ohhh. I see. So autorimshop is selling refinished wheels? I was asking because I can get the VW rims there (obv...you linked it) for $250-300 cheaper than brand new from the VW dealership here in Canada.

But if they're refinished I just assume buy new from my dealer. $265 CDN on average per wheel -- $200 USD, not terrible.
Yeah those are/were refinished wheels

Why not just buy an aftermarket set for much less?

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Keep an eye out for the right deal if you're able to wait. I spent about 6wks looking for the ones I got, and eventually a set of new old stock wheels showed up at a liquidator. I made a "or best offer" offer on eBay and ended up with the whole set for $400.

--Matt

malhi179

I recently bought 2018 VW GTI Autobann. It came with 225/40/R18 tires on 18*7.5 stock rims ( believe offset is 49) and have got type R brakes.

I have a set of good set of winter tires from my old 2014 Jetta which are 225/45/R17 on 17*7 vw rims with offset 54.

I am wondering if my Jetta winter tires/rims will fit on my 2018 GTI Autobann without causing any damage to suspension/brakes etc.

Any help is appreciated...

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
I recently bought 2018 VW GTI Autobann. It came with 225/40/R18 tires on 18*7.5 stock rims ( believe offset is 49) and have got type R brakes.

I have a set of good set of winter tires from my old 2014 Jetta which are 225/45/R17 on 17*7 vw rims with offset 54.

I am wondering if my Jetta winter tires/rims will fit on my 2018 GTI Autobann without causing any damage to suspension/brakes etc.

Depends on the wheel. Some fit, some don't. Got a pic?

Beju

Passed Driver's Ed

The VW Classix I got refinished and powder coated for my 2019 GTI (PP brakes standard on 2019s) are 17x7 with a 54mm offset, so I'm going to give you a cautious, "probably" will clear the brakes.

The new/old winter tires will be 0.4% smaller, but that's close enough that you won't be driving dramatically faster than your speedometer displays.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
That's the "Porto" wheel which is the 6th car (silver) pictured in the first post

So, yes, they'll clear/work

You just might have to watch the wheel weight placement, or use spacers like I recommended in your other thread
Yup. I had a set of those on my R too (there's another pic a few posts in). I had the shop that mounted tires on mine put the weights on the inboard edge of the wheel to avoid any issues.

--Matt

Last edited:

RobWCanada

thanks guys...didn't know anyone responded...the email notifications were going to my SPAM folder!

Anyway, ya, looking on Kijiji, if I can't find a nice set of VW rims from there I'll prolly get the Silex ones. I'd really like the Goal rims, but nobody has em in stock.

R

RobWCanada

What about the Avignon wheel? Does anyone know if that fits? I can't see any evidence of people mounting those on their R.

I believe the part # is 1K0601025AE88Z

R

Beju

Passed Driver's Ed
FWIW, my 17x7" Classix have the same offset (54) and fit. Worst case scenario, you run an eBay 5-10mm spacer kit.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Ride
2018 SE DSG
I got Motegi MR131 in 17" at Discount Tire and they called Motegi to verify that they fit the PP (R) brakes on my 18 SE. Got them installed and there was a little less then 1/8 " clearance. Got new front brake pads today and the spokes on the wheels hit the caliper. The thickness of the new pads pushes the caliper out so I had to put the old pads back on and order 10MM wheel spacers. Discount Tire is paying for the spacers and lugs.

daconchslop

Go Kart Newbie
I got Motegi MR131 in 17" at Discount Tire and they called Motegi to verify that they fit the PP (R) brakes on my 18 SE. Got them installed and there was a little less then 1/8 " clearance. Got new front brake pads today and the spokes on the wheels hit the caliper. The thickness of the new pads pushes the caliper out so I had to put the old pads back on and order 10MM wheel spacers. Discount Tire is paying for the spacers and lugs.
What’s the specs on those? I have the same wheel 17x8 et40 with a ton of clearance at the spokes. I’m guessing you’re on a 17x7 et45?

OffTheFence