GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Odd Request: Trailer Color Matching...

What kind of pinstripe for trailer? Choose two options.

• High stripe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mid stripe

• Low stripe

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No stripe

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Bold stripe

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Pin stripe

• Really? A trailer?!

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

Yeah, you read it right. I'm looking to color-match my trailer to my car. Here's the trailer and the car:

Reflex Silver spray paint is easy to find. However, the shop that recently wrapped my cargo box has a color of silver that nearly disappears against my Reflex Silver car. I will likely have him wrap the trailer. I suspect it will be more durable than spray paint and cheaper than a professional automotive paint job.

My question for you is a matter of fashion. To break-up the big silver panels, I'm contemplating a red pinstripe down the side, hopefully one that'll match the stripe found on the front of my GTI.

Matching the stripe to the "hip" of my car, where a pinstripe once was when on the showroom floor, would put the stripe on the trailer at about the height of the rear marker.

In your opinion, would a bold stripe, thin stripe, high stripe, mid stripe, low stripe, or no stripe look best. :D I'm not 100% committed to the stripe. I'm just considering fashions options that tie it to my car. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Scott

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Clubsport stripe on both

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

I'd focus on upgrading those trailer wheels!!

I've considered that. I may transfer the tires to a pair of these...

Or I could run them for a couple of years and replace them with another galvanized steel set that matches my utility trailer...

If I were to buy the aluminum split-spoke wheels, I wonder if I'd have them powdercoated in gun metal grey to sort of match my car... sort of... HAHA!

I’d just add some stickers and call it a day.
This and take the Fury sticker off lol

Perhaps something subtle, regarding the stickers. It would probably replace the "Fury" decal. Removing the decals is not easy. The paint is super thin and fragile. So decal removal is destructive, as it was when I cleared the gigantic decals from the rear door.

I will also replace the fenders with black ones identical to the ones above; some asshole sat on one of my aluminum fenders and bent it. The black fenders will create a silver/black scheme. IF I do graphics, it may be better to make them black.

Scott

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
How will a GTI hold up towing so much?
F150’s without a towing package will wear out faster due to not having oil coolers that I think come with towing packages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
F-150's that wear out are probably towing 5000-7000 lbs. My loads just barely exceed the GVWR stamped inside the door. I tend to keep my total load below 1000-1200 lbs. In short, I don't strain my engine/driveline beyond its design.

There's a touch of lens compression happening that makes my trailer appear larger in my top photo. It's only a 4x6 and not tall at all.

BecauseMotor

Go Kart Champion
Pics of your trailer hitch?

my autocorrect is a ducking duck

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Probably not my place to ask, but what do you carry around in each of those trailers?

No sweat about that question. I've towed open utility trailers behind my Volkswagens, including cars that were far less powerful and braked than my GTI, for over 20 years. I towed the same loads with my Mk3 Jetta TDI, which I retired last year with over 445,000 original owner miles without a rebuild.

Most of the time, I use the utility trailer to haul large trash items to a nearby collection site or perhaps some items back and forth to my storage unit. It's fantastic for items that are too large, wet, or dirty to put in my car. Most of the time, I load with less than 500 lbs (total weight of 1000), but the car runs fine with 900 (total weight of 1400). Twice a year, I support a large bicycling event by transporting 85 gallons of water and 300 lbs of ice...

That heavy load gets light really fast after my first drop-off (15 gallons of water and 100 lbs of ice). Once the rest areas are stocked, the load is about 200 lbs for the rest of the day. I go home with empty containers.

As for the cargo trailer (enclosed), I haven't done much with it yet. It was an impulse buy one day when I saw it at the side of a highway with a "For Sale" sign on it. These small trailers are usually special order and a lot more expensive when new. I knew I'd use it from time to time, so I jumped on it. I use it for bulky loads that MUST stay dry. So far, I've moved large, lightweight boxed car parts, furniture pieces, and a few loads of bagged concrete mix. I plan to add ventilation so I can use it for light camping. It is currently sitting in my yard and being used to store the concrete mix (I don't have a shed). Since this trailer is heavier and has a greater aerodynamic load than my utility trailer, I tend to keep its loads below 600 lbs (total of 1200). Here's a photo right after I bought it... super clean!

Again, this is for bulky items that are less than 38x72" and light enough for me to move by myself.

I think that covers everything. :)

Scott

PS: My light loads are nothing compared to what Golfs are towing overseas...

:p

Last edited:

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

The great weather has allowed me to make some progress on fixing the trailer. I have not yet removed the decals or had the exterior wrapped. Instead, I've photoshopped them away to get your input.

I installed the new fenders. They're very sturdy. But the black just sort of stands out... it's very random...

I was considering some black graphics work along the bottom that would tie the silver wrap to the black fender. MonkeyMD suggested a Clubsport stripe. Then it dawned on me that I could paint the lower trim piece gloss black. What do you think of this?

I could even cap-off the top trim in black, too. But is it too much?

I think painting all of the trim black is too much...

I don't have a sample photo, but I occurred to me that the trailer might look even better if I were to paint the bottom trim gloss black and the other trim Reflex Silver to blend with the wrap. Can you visualize that?

OH, I do plan to put some sort of sticker in place of the "Fury" badge. I'm leaning toward a black Wolfsburg crest, then perhaps a "Fast" emblem (both shared by Sandman) in the lower right corner of the rear door.

Thoughts? I appreciate your input.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I just wanted to update this thread with the outcome of the trailer. It took a while to overhaul the trailer due to finding underlying problems that needed addressing. Plus, I procrastinated a bit. :ROFLMAO: The trailer is wrapped and I selected a couple modest graphics, one of which was suggested by @sandmangti. Here are some photos:

I will be taking this on a return trip to CA in the near future. :cool:

Last edited: