GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Odd Request: Trailer Color Matching...

What kind of pinstripe for trailer? Choose two options.

• High stripe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mid stripe

• Low stripe

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No stripe

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Bold stripe

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Pin stripe

• Really? A trailer?!

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Oddly enough, I didn't mention in my original post that one of my goals is to be able to sleep in this a few nights per year, perhaps more if the camping bug gets me. It's 75 inches long in the center, which is workable, but a little short for my liking. So, I plan to build a 24-inch slider with a teardrop door at the end. Since some campgrounds require at least two exits from conversion trailers, I'm going to put a trap door in the bottom of the slider. While brainstorming ideas, it occurred to me that a portable toilet would fit great under the slider and could be concealed if I put a curtain around the base. It's an odd idea, but it would work for emergencies or midnight needs.

I wouldn't option a microwave. Odds are good that I would choose to camp in tent areas, which often do not have household power connections. I'd cook easy stuff on a propane or butane stove.

On another note, I took my tiny cargo trailer conversion to a scale this morning.

What these weights show - The car with trailer coupled is 3760 lbs (1709 kg), the car and trailer combined is 4420 lbs (2009 kg), the car alone is 3660 lbs (1663 kg). Translation: The trailer weighs 760 lbs (345 kg), tongue weight is 100 lbs (45 kg), and the car would weigh around 3390 lbs (1540 kg) without me and the power tools that I have in the trunk. For those who don't know, I carry about 100 lbs of electronics in the trunk, 20 lbs of emergency supplies, and the hitch weighs another 40 lbs. So, removing that would put the car at around 3230 lbs (1467 kg), which is about where it's expected to be when new. Back to the trailer weight, it weighed 600 lbs (273 kg) when new. So, my conversion project added 160 lbs (73 kg), which includes the addition of a spare tire, a steel jack stand, galvanized steel E-tracks, and 15 lbs of E-track accessories. That's not bad at all!

Last edited:

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
If you make the slide out, you will need to make a video for your You Tube Channel. Tittle it something like "mini camper" and your audience might be larger than just VW forum. Many like little homes, might be interest in little campers.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I have a build series on my YouTube channel. The "exterior" video publishes this Thursday. I hope to publish about the slide-out in about a month. I'd share a link, but it seems to be generally frowned upon by the admins when YouTubers promote their own content. But you'll find a thumbnail with a familiar tow car and trailer if you search for "stealthgti 4x6 cargo trailer conversion" in your favorite search engine. (y)

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I have a build series on my YouTube channel. The "exterior" video publishes this Thursday. I hope to publish about the slide-out in about a month. I'd share a link, but it seems to be generally frowned upon by the admins when YouTubers promote their own content. But you'll find a thumbnail with a familiar tow car and trailer if you search for "stealthgti 4x6 cargo trailer conversion" in your favorite search engine. (y)
I am a subscriber of yours so will see when posted. Thanks for content.