GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Odd paint discoloration

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Just got back from a spin and noticed these odd chocolate milk like discolorations under my hatch lid. These weren’t there the previous evening. From different angles they appear a milky white color. I tried washing them off but they appear to be under the clear coat or sealed under wax.

4547E3FC-2276-4C15-9454-D73985883D3F.jpeg

8935AD4F-A574-4B4F-87EA-B762A0BC9DF4.jpeg

Last edited:

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Update: Washed, clayed, dried and put some mild stripper (to remove wax) then buffed. Stains are apparently trapped under a sealant or clear coat. Left the car in the sun for a couple hours and they vanished. It seems moisture is either finding its way under some coating or there’s some kind of reaction to extremely soggy weather.

Edit: spots returned after morning dew settled

Last edited:

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
How does it feel to the touch?
I can feel a slight sub-millimeter raise on the threshold of the markings and the paint. In the mornings they are there, by afternoon they are gone. I know it’s not something that’s just going to improve over time.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
DA? Sorry not familiar with that acronym

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Ah. Negative sir

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
You're most likely gonna need to use one to compound and polish that area to see if you can remove it. When I removed the bumperdillo from that area of my new '19, there had been some residue sitting under there and it had made similar spots in that area. It wasn't till I compounded and polished that it removed it.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Thanks. It’s worth a try!

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Worst case you can cover that up with a rear bumper garnish..(?) If completely flat you can use vinyl.
Haha. If they can match paint close to reflex silver guess it wouldn’t be too, too awful.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT