GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Odd issue: Low RPM & Low Load Misfire/Hesitation (N80 EVAP / Purge Valve Issue)

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
I have an odd issue that has popped up in the past 1000 miles or so. My car is a 2017 with 64k miles. When cruising at light load on flat ground with the throttle barely open (5-10%) and engine RPMS around 1700-2500rpm, I will get slight hesitations and recorded misfires. Worst I have seen on my commute is around 5-15 on CYL 1/3/4 and 20-30 on CYL 2. Commute is 40 miles and about 45 minutes.

I hadn't logged the car all winter as it had been running super well. Been running my 91oct tune with 28psi max observed boost and settles into 27-28psi. I rarely had a chance to use any of that boost due to a pretty snowy winter.

I took some WOT logs this evening on a new tank of 93oct. Only logged out to 6300rpm, but largest timing correction was -2.25 with peak timing being a whopping 4.1degrees. WG Duty looks solid. I haven't smoked tested, but I used some carb cleaner to spray any suspect vacuum leak areas and no RPM drops occurred. I am dropping the link to a couple of logs below:

[Actually linking to the hesitation log as I might have found something off.] Looks like the ECU is dumping fuel sporadically (based on lambda, rail, pressure, and LPFP duty values) at low load and then the ECU immediately trims out the excess fuel (if I am interpreting the data and order of operations correctly.

https://datazap.me/u/arob157/hesitation-log-212023-2-wot-logs?log=2&data=0-1-9-11-12&solo=11

My mod list is pretty long, so I haven't ruled out something being damaged. Going through the usual suspects prior to compression/leakdown test. I installed a Euro manifold when I installed MPI and Vortex turbo at 55k miles. No codes have been thrown or stored related to misfires (did have the SAI codes when the solenoid was dead). Valves were in pretty good condition. I have been running LiquiMoly valve cleaner every 2k miles or so and fuel injector around the same since the turbo install.

Items replaced recently:
SAI Blockoff Plate/delete (hesitation issue was present prior to install blockoff install; SAI solenoid was dead)
Plugs (Running NGK 7347-9s; installed fresh this week; replaced an 8k mile set of 7348-9s)
RS3 Coils (done at 55k miles; L revision which seem current)
PCV Valve and Hose to TIP (installed tonight 4/5; PCV was stock from factory; both AP rev which seems current)

Apologies for the novel of a post. Thanks for taking a look at the logs ahead of time and chime in with any thoughts. Hoping the issue maybe a faulty exhaust/lambda sensor at this point. Maybe something weird with the throttle body or intake manifold.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Unhook the purge valve electrical connector from the pcv.

I almost unplugged it last night when doing my PCV replacement....thought I had remembered about people having issues on an EQT FB troubleshooting thread.

3 logs after unplugging the n80 purge valve:

https://datazap.me/u/arob157/n80-unplugged?log=2&data=1-9-11

Not a single hiccup. Honestly think it was causing other issues with tune, boost onset depending on driving conditions etc. Had less than 10 misfires over all cylinders in a 30 minute drive. Thanks, Diggs.

Link to a good reference thread:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/evap-witch-hunt.368834/

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Wow I have been having this issue forever. I was slowly replacing parts to see what it was. Mine only happened when it was hot out. I'll try this tonight thank you!

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Wow I have been having this issue forever. I was slowly replacing parts to see what it was. Mine only happened when it was hot out. I'll try this tonight thank you!
How did it go? The weird part about my issue was I was actually seeing increased gas mileage which makes zero sense.

I blocked the "left"/non-PCV side of the valve as looking at it in the bay with an M6 bolt. I wrapped some teflon tape around the screw so it was a slight press fit instead of a slip fit. Replugged in the valve. No issues with hiccups/stutters whatsoever and zero faults. Logs are looking cleaner as well. Still deciding if I want to replace the valve or not. Might just leave it blocked, but FCP Euro stocks them. I suppose I can order one and replace it at next to zero cost in the future.

Some of my knock issues has definitely been crappy winter 91/93 that is still at stations. My ED pump tune is super conservative timing wise and I still get very minor knock (less than 1.5deg) while running the 90oct setting on 91 or 93. I was actually going to stay on my pump gas tune because I have been loving the mileage (especially with the increased gas prices), but might flash back to my ethanol tune and see what % e-content is looking like.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Still somewhat aggressive at 4k for a pumpgas tune.
The WOT logs from yesterday were way cleaner once the N80 valve was unplugged. I didn't upload any of those. I will still pull a bit out below 4k rpm.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
My e85 tune is right at 2 degrees or so at 4k as well. And ramps boost in accordingly for the traction.....*cough*.....I mean rods.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
I haven't changed it yet, but I ordered a new N80 for good measure since I'm already going to be doing the PCV. I have no codes, just the weird hiccup. My logs exactly the same. When I held the throttle lambda would go from around 1 to .60-.70 randomly and that's when it hiccuped. I kinda learned to drive around it. 😂