GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oct 2015 Golf 1.0 TSI 115pk Cambelt Change??

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Just taken my car in for major service at 5 years old plus aircon and brake fluid. Told me cambelt didn't need changing after all and is fitted for life?? Thought all that had been done away with and it was now a 5 year change interval.
Brake discs, particularly rear, are corroded with an advisory to change. Do that myself. But does just show how rubbish the steel is. EVs will have it even worse with battery regeneration to brake.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yeah the "fitted for life" belts which were a nice new design & very tough...err ending up being a bit risky for the manufacture to fork out every time a belt snapped & VW billed them for the repair costs...not much was publicly said, but my dealer "suggested" I get mine done..which I did last year...

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
On a 1.0 TSI??

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
1lt TSI is still an EA211 engine like the 1.4lt..& they use many components & share the same belt design/materials...get the belt & tension kit done...I also got the aux belt also as it has to be removed anyway....water pump there is no need.. its on its own belt on the other side of the engine...

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
But quite a lot less power. The garage did say that the 1.4 had a 5 year change interval.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
But quite a lot less power. The garage did say that the 1.4 had a 5 year change interval.

I don't have access to the latest TSB's so maybe they only changed their mind on the 1.4lt EA211 engines & not the lower spec ones??.....but overall its a much stronger design with "U" class materials with are much stronger & with less stress on the belt now that the waterpump is moved to the other side of the engine & driven from one of the cam shafts...& that belt is a thin one which will snap easy before the others....so no problem of the waterpump jamming causing the timing belt to jump/shred causing valve to piston contact....