GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Obdeleven standard help

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have never seen an OBD2 with those ears, it's just a tapered jack so it fits one way. Strange....
You realize the ears are on the cars OBD receptacle right? Not on the OBDeleven dongle. Anyone else with an OBD port that has the ears on a 2020 GTI? I wonder if that's on other California cars?

cb1111

OBD II is a standardized thing

1617327159288.png

It isn't anything a manufacturer can modify.

VWeGoBeachNow

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7.5 DIBM AB 6sp MT
You realize the ears are on the cars OBD receptacle right? Not on the OBDeleven dongle. Anyone else with an OBD port that has the ears on a 2020 GTI? I wonder if that's on other California cars?
I can't be the only person with this problem or can I haha. Somebody out there please help!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I can't be the only person with this problem or can I haha. Somebody out there please help!
Unfortunately you are so far. Next time you're around the dealer stop and ask them why your OBD port has those ears. Or if you know someone else who has a 2020 GTI in California look at their OBD port.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I went back and looked at your original picture and it does look like the pink one is plugged into the OEM one. Did you buy your car new?

VWeGoBeachNow

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7.5 DIBM AB 6sp MT
I went back and looked at your original picture and it does look like the pink one is plugged into the OEM one. Did you buy your car new?
Oh so my obd2 port is supposed to be black and not pink/purple? I got it used VW certified from a VW dealership and I think pre owned by a VW employee. It's late and dark here but I will take a look at tomorrow and try and figure this out.

cb1111

The color of the port is not mandated, but the shape and connectivity is. I've seen OBD II ports in all sorts of colors, but none with those "ears".

EDIT - just took a photo of mine on my 2019 Alltrack - same color but no "ears"

1617402591412.png

Either the photo is deceptive or the OP tried to plug the OBD11 in upside down

Last edited:

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
That purple part might just pry off. it looks like there is a clip on the side that holds it in place. You could probably just snip those "ears" off and then plug in the dongle.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Oh so my obd2 port is supposed to be black and not pink/purple? I got it used VW certified from a VW dealership and I think pre owned by a VW employee. It's late and dark here but I will take a look at tomorrow and try and figure this out.
What did you find out?

VWeGoBeachNow

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7.5 DIBM AB 6sp MT
What did you find out?
Hey!

Can't really tell what's connected to what since everything so bunched up but I can see a second connector up there. Please see attached picture. The ear connector is pretty snug and I don't want to force anything at this point since I just got the car 😬 I'll try and play with it tomorrow though gently!

Attachments

• 20210402_180701.jpg
    20210402_180701.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 245

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hey!

Can't really tell what's connected to what since everything so bunched up but I can see a second connector up there. Please see attached picture. The ear connector is pretty snug and I don't want to force anything at this point since I just got the car 😬 I'll try and play with it tomorrow though gently!
I would just cut the ears off after asking the dealer why yours is different from everyone else.

VWeGoBeachNow

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7.5 DIBM AB 6sp MT
The color of the port is not mandated, but the shape and connectivity is. I've seen OBD II ports in all sorts of colors, but none with those "ears".

EDIT - just took a photo of mine on my 2019 Alltrack - same color but no "ears"

View attachment 208951
Either the photo is deceptive or the OP tried to plug the OBD11 in upside down
Yours is definitely different! No ears 😂

Can you see if you a have second plug like mine?

Attachments

• 20210402_180701.jpg
    20210402_180701.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 54