GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OBDEleven - Haldex All-Wheel-Drive Adjust Traction Tweak on stock GTI

mturner1578

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI 4Dr
Hello everybody,

New to the forum and GTI's.. love it and regret not getting into GTI's sooner. =( Getting the OBDEleven to tweak the tailights and windows.. but was wondering if I got the Haldex All-Wheel-Drive Adjust Traction tweak would it do anything if I didn't have the Haldex stage 1 tune?

EDIT:

I realize my ignorance at this point with the Haldex All Wheel Drive, as I have a FWD GTI. I was meaning to refer to the XDS Interaction mod, which I realize after getting the OBD11. Also, I now know there is no such thing as a Haldex stage 1 tune... thanks tigeo. lol

Last edited:

mturner1578

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI 4Dr
Gotcha.. thanks! So it wouldn't necessarily hurt it but wouldn't make a major difference? Or would it do harm to the stock diff since it's not the haldex?

mturner1578

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI 4Dr
Will do.. so overall just stick with cosmetic changes if i'm sticking with stock. lol Thanks again!

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
A fluid change is 50 bucks every 30k. Takes 20 minutes once the car is cooled off too. No reason to stay away from the tweak. Helps the car power out of corners.

[EDIT] just making sure you do know your car is FWD and this tweak would only be for the front VAQ system, correct?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
With a GTI, I assume you mean the VAQ front differential, not the Haldex awd system...correct? For the GTIs with the VAQ, there is an "increased traction mod" in the differential control unit but as much as things like this get passed around on the interwebs and people swear up and down they do XYZ, not sure anyone has proven what this mod actually does or if it actually changes what folks think. On the awd MQB cars, there is a similar mod for the awd/Haldex and my logging doesn't show it's doing anything...needs more work for sure. Post #118. There isn't any harm trying it. There is no "Stage 1 Haldex tune" for the fwd MQB cars with the VAQ.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9279347-Haldex-SW-tune-vs-Increased-Traction-tweak/page5

mturner1578

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI 4Dr
A fluid change is 50 bucks every 30k. Takes 20 minutes once the car is cooled off too. No reason to stay away from the tweak. Helps the car power out of corners.

[EDIT] just making sure you do know your car is FWD and this tweak would only be for the front VAQ system, correct?

Yea I know it's still FWD for sure... it's just basically slightly breaking the wheels more correct? Definitely not expecting any type of difference at all in snow or anything..

cb1111

Yea I know it's still FWD for sure... it's just basically slightly breaking the wheels more correct? Definitely not expecting any type of difference at all in snow or anything..
If you get the setting wrong then you will break something - probably not the wheels though.

mturner1578

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI 4Dr
With a GTI, I assume you mean the VAQ front differential, not the Haldex awd system...correct? For the GTIs with the VAQ, there is an "increased traction mod" in the differential control unit but as much as things like this get passed around on the interwebs and people swear up and down they do XYZ, not sure anyone has proven what this mod actually does or if it actually changes what folks think. On the awd MQB cars, there is a similar mod for the awd/Haldex and my logging doesn't show it's doing anything...needs more work for sure. Post #118. There isn't any harm trying it. There is no "Stage 1 Haldex tune" for the fwd MQB cars with the VAQ.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9279347-Haldex-SW-tune-vs-Increased-Traction-tweak/page5

So I finally got it and i'm not sure if I did too much or not.. but there doesn't seem to be any issues and the car feels significantly better cornering.. i'll put a list of the one touch apps I added (as far as engine/drivetrain related things go). Again I just have a stock 2017 GTI S 6 Spd Manual.

-Increased Engine Responsiveness
-Throttle Pedal Response (this was a HUGE difference)
-Soundaktor
-XDS Interaction (This is the one I originally was inquiring about..)

I swear I also got the "Increased Traction" mod but I don't see it in my OBD11 history nor do I see it available on the apps..

Anyway not sure what the Increased Engine Responsiveness does exactly.. it makes it more similar to an Audi engine? But the Throttle Pedal Response and XDS Interaction mods have pretty noticeable differences.

mturner1578

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 MK7 GTI 4Dr
If you get the setting wrong then you will break something - probably not the wheels though.

This is my main concern.. I got the OBD11 2nd gen that connects to IOS and just did the one touch apps, but (see previous post of all mods I did) the XDS Interaction mod was the one I was concerned about doing on a completely stock car..

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So I finally got it and i'm not sure if I did too much or not.. but there doesn't seem to be any issues and the car feels significantly better cornering.. i'll put a list of the one touch apps I added (as far as engine/drivetrain related things go). Again I just have a stock 2017 GTI S 6 Spd Manual.

-Increased Engine Responsiveness
-Throttle Pedal Response (this was a HUGE difference)
-Soundaktor
-XDS Interaction (This is the one I originally was inquiring about..)

I swear I also got the "Increased Traction" mod but I don't see it in my OBD11 history nor do I see it available on the apps..

Anyway not sure what the Increased Engine Responsiveness does exactly.. it makes it more similar to an Audi engine? But the Throttle Pedal Response and XDS Interaction mods have pretty noticeable differences.
The "direct throttle response" and "audi throttle" mods are totally bogus and you are experiencing placebo and just pushing the pedal harder b/c you think it's helping - don't believe me? Get a beer and start reading. Post #79 is a good summary of it (this is all my work). Folks will swear up and down it's doing things it's not - the data don't lie. The only way to get this is to get a pedal tuner box (data also shown in post).

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...uot-direct-throttle-quot-VCDS-OBDEleven-tweak

The XDS one - not sure, I've played with it and watched it work via live data and only saw it intervene in extreme conditions like hard turn from a stop and floor it. Not sure in normal driving you'd ever notice a difference.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The "direct throttle response" and "audi throttle" mods are totally bogus and you are experiencing placebo and just pushing the pedal harder b/c you think it's helping - don't believe me? Get a beer and start reading. Post #79 is a good summary of it (this is all my work). Folks will swear up and down it's doing things it's not - the data don't lie. The only way to get this is to get a pedal tuner box (data also shown in post).

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...uot-direct-throttle-quot-VCDS-OBDEleven-tweak

The XDS one - not sure, I've played with it and watched it work via live data and only saw it intervene in extreme conditions like hard turn from a stop and floor it. Not sure in normal driving you'd ever notice a difference.

I can't tell the difference between the xds settings on the VAQ equipped car, even at 10/10th. You can feel xds on the non VAQ car when at 10/10th. You have to be more mindful with you inputs with xds off on a non-VAQ car, but it's definitely faster with it off. On a VAQ car, it's faster with xds on when driving hard. This was testing with an 18 S and 19 Rabbit, both with a 26mm RSB and a very aggressive alignment.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I can't tell the difference between the xds settings on the VAQ equipped car, even at 10/10th. You can feel xds on the non VAQ car when at 10/10th. You have to be more mindful with you inputs with xds off on a non-VAQ car, but it's definitely faster with it off. On a VAQ car, it's faster with xds on when driving hard. This was testing with an 18 S and 19 Rabbit, both with a 26mm RSB and a very aggressive alignment.
You can just watch it's activity using OBDEleven's "live data" function - it will show you when it's on or off so takes out the feel part but track times are another great way to look at its impact.