GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OBDeleven engine on or off?

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
In most of the vids I've seen people only turn on the power/accessories. I noticed when doing scans they seem to be faster with the engine running. Is this because everything is receiving more power with the engine running? What is the proper way to apply changes? I wonder if you use an app or code something with the engine running it is more likely to create an issue. I thought there was an OBDeleven mega thread around here but seem to have lost it. I have the Nextgen version and it operates very smoothly with my Pixel 3. Thanks.

Last edited:

JW_A3

Car(s)
2015 A3 2.0TFSI
I think I read somewhere that the car should be on, but the engine not running for coding. Check in the description of the app you are looking at, some of them may have specific instructions.
Of course if you are doing live data, checking certain things will require your car to be running.

I also have the nextgen. Ive been playing with it for about a week to diagnose a problem. I find it to be a little buggy or slow sometimes. example: stuck at connecting message, not data available, taking forever to scan the car. Still happy with what it can do though.
-J

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
scanning for codes? i think engine off ignition on otherwise i get a bunch of weird codes,
i cant get any adaptations to work at all, i have to use long coding

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
The Android app was updated a few days ago and there seems to be some new apps available now although I've used mine so little I could be wrong. Anyone else notice changes?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Engine off, other than when specifically instructed for it to be running, on some apps.

The iOS app has been getting constant updates and I *think* it's now pretty much feature-complete. Was way short of complete when originally released.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ignition on/not running.

mrd8cd

Ready to race!
Does anyone know how to see your IATs in OBDEleven next gen on iOS? I tried going into 01 engine > live data with the engine running, and nothing displayed. The page was completely blank. I would like to see how my new intercooler is performing without having to use the cobb access port plugged in with wires running everywhere.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Does anyone know how to see your IATs in OBDEleven next gen on iOS? I tried going into 01 engine > live data with the engine running, and nothing displayed. The page was completely blank. I would like to see how my new intercooler is performing without having to use the cobb access port plugged in with wires running everywhere.
There seems to be a lot less functionality with the new OBDEleven for IOS so maybe live data isn't available yet?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
You can do a lot of coding/adaptations with the car on. Sometimes it will tell you to shut it off.

Sometimes my OBDeleven will only connect with the engine running, its a tad temperamental...

mrd8cd

Ready to race!
Yeah, I had a feeling it might be because it's still in beta on iOS. Maybe I'll try it again and see if the page loads. Kinda ironic that you can do complex adaptations but can't just view live engine data.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Only time my nextgen OBD11 wouldn't connect was at the track. My phone was showing every go-pro in North Florida, but wouldn't connect to my OBD11. Worked fine when I got home. That was with Samsung S10.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
There seems to be a lot less functionality with the new OBDEleven for IOS so maybe live data isn't available yet?
It’s available to view but they seemingly removed the ability to log and export.