GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OBDeleven engine on or off?

chillax

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
In most of the vids I've seen people only turn on the power/accessories. I noticed when doing scans they seem to be faster with the engine running. Is this because everything is receiving more power with the engine is running? What is the proper way to apply changes? I wonder if you use an app or code something with the engine running it is more likely to create an issue. I thought there was an OBDeleven mega thread around here but seem to have lost it. I have the Nextgen version and it operates very smoothly with my Pixel 3. Thanks.

Last edited:

JW_A3

Car(s)
2015 A3 2.0TFSI
I think I read somewhere that the car should be on, but the engine not running for coding. Check in the description of the app you are looking at, some of them may have specific instructions.
Of course if you are doing live data, checking certain things will require your car to be running.

I also have the nextgen. Ive been playing with it for about a week to diagnose a problem. I find it to be a little buggy or slow sometimes. example: stuck at connecting message, not data available, taking forever to scan the car. Still happy with what it can do though.
-J

Judas

Ready to race!
scanning for codes? i think engine off ignition on otherwise i get a bunch of weird codes,
i cant get any adaptations to work at all, i have to use long coding

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
You use OBDeleven and VCDS with just the ignition on and that's it.