GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

obdeleven and dealerships

O2VW1.8T

Passed Driver's Ed
Why would they plug in your car for a 10k service, its going to be some lube tech with no experience changing your oil. I work at a dealer but not VW as a master tech we dont touch oil changes under 30k miles it goes straight to the noobs as they get paid way less. If there is a problem or a recall then we get it and i dont give a shit if the exhaust it coming out your hood i wont plug the car to the scan tool unless its needed. Become friends with the writers or techs and you'll be surprised how much they can help or cover the repairs for you. I cant tell you how many times we rolled the mileage back on the repair order to help a customer out if they where just out of warranty.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
Why would they plug in your car for a 10k service, its going to be some lube tech with no experience changing your oil. I work at a dealer but not VW as a master tech we dont touch oil changes under 30k miles it goes straight to the noobs as they get paid way less. If there is a problem or a recall then we get it and i dont give a shit if the exhaust it coming out your hood i wont plug the car to the scan tool unless its needed. Become friends with the writers or techs and you'll be surprised how much they can help or cover the repairs for you. I cant tell you how many times we rolled the mileage back on the repair order to help a customer out if they where just out of warranty.

I'm always nice to those guys. Partly for my own benefit but also because why shouldn't I be?

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Strangely, most, but not all of the tweaks were lost on my 2016 Golf S after the dealer had performed a scan and reset of some of the systems. They did not re-flash the ECU or perform any other upgrades.

I lost hatch pop, windows up/down, tail light coding.
I did not lose gauge sweep and 1 or two other things. Which I thought was really strange.

So yes, it is possible to lose your tweaks.

I had it in because my windshield washer fluid ran out without any warning. I thought that the pump had failed or the low fluid sensor failed because my Wife's '15 Golf SE gives a warning when fluid is low. After the dealer troubleshot the issues with scans and system resets, they found out that the S has NO wiper fluid sensor... I guess a cost cutting measure by VW.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
I assume they'll be plugging into mine because twice this year my Kessy stopped putting the windows up and closing the sunroof. At the same time this happened the sunroof switch stopped working . Both times when I asked what the problem was the dealer said " it just lost it's settings". Anyone have any idea what settings he could be referring to and if I could fix it with the obdeleven next time it happens instead of having to leave it at the dealer over night? When I ran the obdeleven scan it showed a couple error codes, neither were anything serious, I can't remember what they were so I'll have to plug back in and check what they were. There are no cel's or anything on the dash so if I bring it in and to have them check it I guess I'll have to tell them I checked it myself and deal with the potential tsk,tsk,tsk

VWGTI

Ready to race!
I left my OBDEleven scanner in the port one time, and it was still plugged in after the service. Of course, my dealership happens to be pretty mod-friendly as they sell a whole bunch of ABT things already. I've gotten nothing but compliments from all the service and sales people. Heck, one ever took a test drive in my car when I got the Stage 2 tune.

Back on topic though, these electrical tweaks barely have anything to do with the engine (as long as you're not playing with things like the torque limiter), so the tweaks shouldn't really be touched by the dealerships at all

16gtiguy

Ready to race!
I think it depends on the work they are doing to the car, if it requires coding then yes you could lose stuff but otherwise no. I had a ton of tweaks to my GLI and lost almost everything when they did some electrical work on the car. However never lost anything any of the other times I took it in for service. Like others have said several times got compliments on different tweaks I had done.

disco_stu

Passed Driver's Ed
I've made many trips to the dealer (for warranty matters and for regular services), and never once have any of my changes been reverted back to factory settings by these visits. And during that time, I had quite a few firmware updates to various control modules. I'm not saying that it's not possible for the dealer to revert settings, or that it's never happened -I just believe that it's a low probability.

I just had two recalls done. One was to remove High Beam Assist via programming update per Transport Canada recall. When I got the car back, my tail light mods were gone!

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I just had two recalls done. One was to remove High Beam Assist via programming update per Transport Canada recall. When I got the car back, my tail light mods were gone!

Stu: OK, I'm not familiar with the Canada recall, but it seems odd to change the tail light settings for a High Beam Assist change!

If anyone else intends to take their car in for the same fix, it would be real interesting to record the BCM settings using OBD11's Backup facility before the Transport Canada recall changes happen. After you get the car back, do another backup and compare the two record-sets!

Don

billyho

I just had major work done under warranty..
clutch replaced and motor mounts replaced along with a host of diagnostic tests. all n all my car was at the dealership for a week. I know they know.. I had tweaked the car. they turned the mirror switch back to neutral so the passenger mirror wouldn't dip.. and all they had to do was press and hold the "traction control" button until it dinged and read 'ECS OFF'..
but they didn't say anything, just fixed the car.. just got it back tonight, keep your fingers crossed, lol

jbbylund

I have every obd11 mod done and I also left my jb1 in place for my 10k mile service. I got the car serviced yesterday and nothing was changed nor did anyone say anything. I was a little nervous with the jb1 sitting right next to the intake box. I credit the not noticing to the dealer. I just hope they changed the oil correctly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Chowderhead72

Ready to race!
Strangely, most, but not all of the tweaks were lost on my 2016 Golf S after the dealer had performed a scan and reset of some of the systems. They did not re-flash the ECU or perform any other upgrades.

I lost hatch pop, windows up/down, tail light coding.
I did not lose gauge sweep and 1 or two other things. Which I thought was really strange.

So yes, it is possible to lose your tweaks.

I had it in because my windshield washer fluid ran out without any warning. I thought that the pump had failed or the low fluid sensor failed because my Wife's '15 Golf SE gives a warning when fluid is low. After the dealer troubleshot the issues with scans and system resets, they found out that the S has NO wiper fluid sensor... I guess a cost cutting measure by VW.

Weird... my S has the low fluid sensor. I even got a phone call from Vw out of the blue over it. In a very sweet voice I was told my car had run out of washer fluid and I was emphatically told to not use rain-x fluids. So ultimately not only do I have the sensor my car is also a Snitch.

It would seem the "S" model has it but the "Sport" model does not. Seems they deleted a few things on the Sport.

Chowderhead72

Ready to race!
I stumbled across this thread trying to compare the different scanner products. Is there a scanner that works with iOS yet?

mkygod

Ready to race!
Did my 10K service the other day in addition to the suction pump recall and had no issues with the ODB changes. The service rep didnt say anything and my kencha tails still worked after the service.

LastDragon

Ready to race!
I stumbled across this thread trying to compare the different scanner products. Is there a scanner that works with iOS yet?

As far as the obdeleven goes, deutsch auto parts has stated only a week or two ago that they had no plans yet to make it work for IOS and that it would take them quiet some time if they did even try... didn't sound promising... buy a 15$ android tablet off eBay or amazon. That's what alot of people have done. Let a buddy give you his old busted up android from 5 years ago... it all works just fine apparently.