GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NYS new inspection requirement for 2023?

chuncomunco

Passed Driver's Ed
Saw this on the F30 forums:

"Confirmed - next year any car in ny with a tune, regardless of readiness monitor status, will fail ny inspection. Also we will be required to do a 360* walk around the car with an inspection camera, and the catalytic converter must also be photographed for the inspection."

Post link.

Not sure how true it is, just wondering if anyone here heard about this.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
First I've heard of this.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Saw this on the F30 forums:

"Confirmed - next year any car in ny with a tune, regardless of readiness monitor status, will fail ny inspection. Also we will be required to do a 360* walk around the car with an inspection camera, and the catalytic converter must also be photographed for the inspection."

Post link.

Not sure how true it is, just wondering if anyone here heard about this.

Some areas in Jersey already do this. At least the visual inspection to match up OEM spec against whatever they see under your car with the camera. I'm not sure how any car in ny with a tune would be an issue. How can a Stage1 tune that technically doesn't alter anything hardware wise be an issue? It actually makes the car more efficient. I can see Stg2+ being issues because of course, at that point you're modifying hardware.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
They do this in California and I think in Colorado too. They scan your ECU and check your Calibration ID and Calibration Number vs What it should be stock. If you have any other software flashed, it'll return a different checksum and fail you.

Only non OEM checksums allowed here are CARB approved tunes, which is Cobb stage 1 and APR, There is another company I believe but those are the two big ones. Note that's Cobbs included stage 1 tune that came on the AP, not a tune from another company using the AP.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
At this point register it in Montana. If I ever have to move back to NY that’s the plan.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual