GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Now that VW has claimed the 'Stage' designation...

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
What do we call our tunes?!

Previously a tuned car would be "stage 1". "Stage 2" meant you had a DP and DP specific tune. Problem is, VW saw the stage 1 and stage 2 monikers fit for their entry-level GTI and souped-up GTI (With LSD), respectively.

If we just keep our own designation as stage 1 and 2, surely some new members will walk in and hit the "new post" button without opening a thread and claim he's stage 2. Stage 2 to him (and his dealer) doesn't mean what stage 2 means to us, currently. So unless we're appropriately skeptical we'll assume he's tuned. Can you see where the confusion will be!? I feel like I'm talking in circles already!

If I'm frank I always thought the current moniker was a bit off. The way I see it currently, stage 2+ is k04, stage 3 is GT28 and stage 3+ is BT. I think it should have been Stage 1 = tune. Stage 1+ = dp+dp specific tune. Stage 2 = k04. Stage 2+ = k04+dp specific tune. Stage 3 = GT28. Stage 4 = BT.

Yeah, APR, Revo etc are already thinking about this and likely already have a solution. But we can join the conversation. So if VW does indeed move forward with the "stage 1" "stage 2" moniker, what's our new moniker for the tune status? "Level"? :confused:

John Y1

Ready to race!
When did they say the performance pack would be called Stage 2?

They didn't; there are no plans to call them "stage 1" or "stage 2". The models are called GTI and GTI "Performance".

And even if they did, who the f - cares what "stage" you'd be then? Who decides what constitutes a "stage"? VW will build them, and tuners will always seek and find ways to tune them further.

Well, look at it this way. If somebody gets the performance pack and wrongly calls it "stage 2" they don't know what "stage" means to begin with, ie, a tune. Chances are also higher they won't be an enthusiast or modder and won't venture into these forums. So, you may be running around in circles all for nothing.

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
that doesn't seem correct at all

stage I is just a tune
stage II is a tune+dp
stage II+ tune+dp+fmic/(hpfp for fsi)
stage III is generally k04 w/ all supporting hardware

i don't know the etymology behind the word "stage" in this case, but this is how i've known it as and distributors have shown consistent agreement. show up to any meet,
and every vw/audi member knows what you mean when you say a certain stage.

if the dealers are starting to do packages as "stages", they are probably doing it by their own terms. maybe they'll mirror what is generally known as today.