GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Notchy shift normal? What longevity out of stick?

SalishGTI

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI Red
So I've changed my manual fluid to Motul, car with about 18K miles, and the shifting is sure notchy when oil temp below 180. I've read this is "normal", but it makes me wonder about the synchros and the life of these transmissions? Does anybody here double clutch? It feels like this tranny is just picky and notchy compared to others I've had. When the oil gets up to a steady 200 or so, it is easier, and that's normal, but it sure seems too rough when colder.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Do you know the weight of Motul you used? I think OEM fluid is 75W-90. Though from reading through other threads it seems it's normal as you stated with Motul to be kinda notchy when cold.

SalishGTI

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI Red
As I read more it sounds like the Motul 300 I used, weight is the same as stock roughly, is just known to be more notchy when cold. I live here in the fairly temperate PNW but it averages about 40-50 F 9 months of the year. I think I may switch back to OEM and just see what sort of difference I feel. I would certainly hope the manual would last solidly past 150K miles being driven kindly like I do. The clutch, on the other hand, will need help sooner:oops:.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
As I read more it sounds like the Motul 300 I used, weight is the same as stock roughly, is just known to be more notchy when cold. I live here in the fairly temperate PNW but it averages about 40-50 F 9 months of the year. I think I may switch back to OEM and just see what sort of difference I feel. I would certainly hope the manual would last solidly past 150K miles being driven kindly like I do. The clutch, on the other hand, will need help sooner:oops:.
Looks like there is some debate, but the correct spec may just be 75w with nothing more than a 75w80. Older thread on Fuch and motul being notchy:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/manual-trans-fluid.347815/

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
It can be a little notchy at times but short of stock clutches i dont think ive ever really seen people having transmission issues on here.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Yes. Motul is notchy when cold. Just be easy on it for the first 10 minutes? You're not going to hurt anything.

Double clutching? Sometimes I'll do it from 4th to 2nd coming in hot for certain corners, and I do it all the time from 2nd to 1st for rolling stops.

SalishGTI

Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI Red
Cool. Thanks for some context. It warms up nicely. I'm learning to rev match when down shifting, something I never had to do in my prior sticks. I've only had the car a few months but every time I drive it I can't get the big grin off my face. So damn fun. I ride motorcycles, so my basis of comparison is unfair. But to be in a box in comfort, and to have those G's, well that's awesome!