GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Not only diesels

cb1111

According to "Bild am Sonntag", the Munich District Attorney's office is looking at VW for emissions cheating - this time with gasoline engines by manipulating the transmission shift points.

According to BamS (a somewhat sleazy but popular newspaper), the manipulation happens when the engine is started, the hazard warning lights are activated and the pedal is pressed to the floor five times without activating kickdown. This puts the transmission into "comfort mode" which shifts early resulting in reduced emissions and increased mpg.

According to the report, the testers used this methodology to increase their mpg claims and lower CO2 values.

Remember, like in the US, the manufacturers do their own testing following the script from the government agencies.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
As it is, in D my GTI already loves to lug the engine wherever possible. There's a spot on my daily route that the car should downshift to 2nd for, but it swears by staying in 4th. Then when I go into S mode it drags every gear to redline regardless of load.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I don't know how it's practically possible to lower the D shift points any further... as it is my GSW will loaf along at 1300 RPM if driven gently in D. At 40 mph it will upshift to 6th. I don't like how it lugs the engine. S works pretty well for both gentle and spirited driving, and generally upshifts around 2800-3000 under light loads.

cb1111

I don't know how it's practically possible to lower the D shift points any further... as it is my GSW will loaf along at 1300 RPM if driven gently in D. At 40 mph it will upshift to 6th. S works pretty well and generally upshifts around 2800-3000 under light loads.
The (at least US) test procedures say nothing about driveability - just that the test procedures be followed in "D".

In Germany, the pressure has been on emissions.

cb1111

That too, but that causes a problem. In order to get rid of the diesels (that made up for 50+% of sales a few years ago), they have to get their mpg numbers up on gas engines. Up until now, diesel was cheaper than gas AND got significantly better mileage, so the manufacturers felt forced to get better mpgs out of gas egines.

cb1111

Does this include current gen cars or past gen cars?
The Munich DA's office has a copy of a February 12, 2016 presentation to VW management that describes the procedure.

In addition, in November 2015, VW admitted to cheating on emissions testing on 800,000 diesel and gas powered cars. They later reduced that number to 36000.
Up until then, all of the cheating they admitted to concerned diesels.

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
The modern light duty automotive ICE isn't "the problem" with the world. Much a do about nothin. Just leave the engines alone. Always goes back to politicians, money and power.

Rogues Gambit

Ready to race!
The modern light duty automotive ICE isn't "the problem" with the world. Much a do about nothin. Just leave the engines alone. Always goes back to politicians, money and power.

It's more The Globalists and Agenda 21, hence the push for electric and autonomous cars

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I just read where researchers are working on reducing methane emissions from...cattle. California (of course) wants to cut methane from cattle burps, farts and feces by 30% by IIRC 2030. The scientists think adding seaweed to their feed is the answer. Perhaps eliminating certain human foods like beans and cabbage from people food would work better? Never happen but would probably be more effective. And we were always told cars were destroying the ozone layer.

Like was said, its all about CONTROL. They realize using religion doesn't work on those with liberal leanings anymore. How could it when they blame conservativism on religion? You think meat and dairy are expensive now? Just wait.

Last edited:

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
It's more The Globalists and Agenda 21, hence the push for electric and autonomous cars

Yes probably, but just don't forget Alex Jonestein is controlled opposition.

I just read where researchers are working on reducing methane emissions from...cattle. California (of course) wants to cut methane from cattle burps, farts and feces by 30% by IIRC 2030. The scientists think adding seaweed to their feed is the answer. Perhaps eliminating certain human foods like beans and cabbage from people food would work better? Never happen but would probably be more effective. And we were always told cars were destroying the ozone layer.

Like was said, its all about CONTROL. They realize using religion doesn't work on those with liberal leanings anymore. How could it when they blame conservativism on religion? You think meat and dairy are expensive now? Just wait.

Instead of making more OBDelholsters for forum membes, I'm going to start making custom tin foil hats. They will sell very well here, I see.

cb1111

Instead of making more OBDelholsters for forum membes, I'm going to start making custom tin foil hats. They will sell very well here, I see.
I can think of a handful of us (you included of course) that won't buy them. Everybody else will flock to them. Be sure to price them properly to include all of the big brother taxes.