GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Not another “what’s this sound?” thread!

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
the definitive test for endlinks is to remove both of them and zip-tie the bar out of the way.

You think that sound is coming from the direction / area you speak of but sound direction can be tricky. consider the possibility you've got it wrong.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Perhaps a bad strut? I had a like sound with my right rear strut a year into Koni yellows requiring replacement.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Well it’s not the end links or sway bar like I originally thought. With the girlfriend basically jumping up and down on the car while I moved around trying to find the source, I was able to narrow it down to the passenger side front strut. Now what exactly is going on with the strut..I’m not sure.

Couldn’t be more annoyed though. Brand new air ride system and have already had to replace the driver side bag cause of a constant leak and now getting a knocking sound from the passenger side strut/bag.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Dang that sucks….. think it could be as easy as the air line or other line just bouncing against the wheel well wall?

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Dang that sucks….. think it could be as easy as the air line or other line just bouncing against the wheel well wall?

Still checking around. It sounded like it was closer to the top of the strut though. Everything was tightened down. However, I had a spare “rebuild kit” which is basically just new washers and shit for the top of the bag, so for the hell of if I took the top of the strut apart and replaced all of those and put it all back together. Will take it for a test drive shortly and see if that changed anything.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Don’t want to jinx it, but I think that may have fixed it. I’m not sure what exactly was wrong though. When I took apart the top of the strut, everything seemed to be installed correctly. All I did was replace the bushings and washers and shit and put it back together. The ones on the strut weren’t damaged or anything though.. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Guess I’ll keep an eye on it in case it comes back.