GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Not a lot out there about the neuspeed catback, anyone running this? (Update: Installed)

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Some of this is fact, some opinion.

The non-res Milltek is by far the best sounding exhaust for the R. If you plan on getting a DP, Milltek sounds so good it's stupid. If you don't want things too loud, the Milltek with the stock DP is very good. OEM+ to the max with very good tone. It's just very expensive - tune of $2300 after tax for the valved kit.

Borla has the whistling issue. Borla really is the perfect exhaust if you can get one that doesn't have the whistling issue. They also have a lifetime warranty, so you could always try it out, then send it back for a full refund if you do end up with the whistle.

Nameless doesn't have tip options and they are too small for double walled, you also lose the valves.

The Remus makes a weird gurgle sound with the valves closed at idle and sounds like a tin can with them open.

AWE's switch path has been redesigned as well. One side is always open, only one valve is reused, and it looks lopsided under the car. Not symmetrical. Would drive me crazy. It also drones a ton from what I've read.

I've been through an exhaust system or two on my R. I've also researched everything on the market, heavily. If you don't care about the valves, I'd say get a custom exhaust for the car at a reputable shop. It will run you about $400 - $500, sound as good as anything premade, you get to choose your tips, and you can add a resonator / muffler after the fact if the car is too loud. If the shop is really good, they can cut the piping off of stock exhaust that contain the valves and reuse them on a custom setup. Then you get to keep the functionality.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I've looked for an exhaust shop a couple times and nobody around here really stood out.

I don't mind losing the valves. The neuspeed doesn't have any valves and my valves have been disabled for a while now too. The volume matters though, more than it has for my previous exhaust purchases at least.

I had borla on my mk4 and that was the loudest droniest exhaust I've ever had, so I've kinda dismissed that one before even looking at it. I've also seen the whistle issue. I'm not willing to put in the work or pay the labor for 3x exhaust installs if it does whistle.

I think at this point there isn't an option I haven't looked at yet, but I still come back to neuspeed.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I've looked for an exhaust shop a couple times and nobody around here really stood out.

I don't mind losing the valves. The neuspeed doesn't have any valves and my valves have been disabled for a while now too. The volume matters though, more than it has for my previous exhaust purchases at least.

I had borla on my mk4 and that was the loudest droniest exhaust I've ever had, so I've kinda dismissed that one before even looking at it. I've also seen the whistle issue. I'm not willing to put in the work or pay the labor for 3x exhaust installs if it does whistle.

I think at this point there isn't an option I haven't looked at yet, but I still come back to neuspeed.

Install is really easy even with floor jack & stands.

The Borla system has literally zero drone.

Let us know how the Neuspeed system works out.

Edit - Make sure to give Nameless a really good look before deciding. I almost pulled the trigger on this system and have talked to their customer support a couple different times. They are excellent. The welds on their systems are also top-notch and everything is held together by V band clamps. Also no drone with this system based on my research.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Interesting to hear nameless doesn't drone. I figured it would just because it doesn't have a resonator. I'll keep them in the running.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
What about APR??

I am supposed to have a “revised” Borla being sent in 10-14 days (which would have been today). I have low expectations. but I’ll have a couple beers and throw it on.

if it doesn’t work, I’m back on the hunt.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
What about APR??

I am supposed to have a “revised” Borla being sent in 10-14 days (which would have been today). I have low expectations. but I’ll have a couple beers and throw it on.

if it doesn’t work, I’m back on the hunt.
I can't really find any decent videos of the apr. They all have dsg farts and some also have a pop tune.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
APR system is very nicely made. It sounded great with the stock downpipe, with a downpipe it was way too loud and raspy

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Yea, I've seen comments saying apr can get raspy and I've heard some pretty loud dsg farts from it. Definitely not what I'm looking for.

I'll probably end up getting the neuspeed, but I'm gonna wait for a sale. Labor day isn't far away.

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
Had the neuspeed on my mk6 gti with Apr downpipe and stage 2. Loved the sound and the looks were unreal. Love the double walled tips. You’ll be happy with Neuspeed

I went with the non resonated.

Attachments

• 078E9F5E-E380-4493-9D30-610E26FA337D.jpeg
    078E9F5E-E380-4493-9D30-610E26FA337D.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 127
  • DB01595B-8F70-45A9-9B49-28A81EF08C2B.jpeg
    DB01595B-8F70-45A9-9B49-28A81EF08C2B.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 118
  • C0A5115C-60B6-48FA-BDC0-E7E85DE0CFC7.jpeg
    C0A5115C-60B6-48FA-BDC0-E7E85DE0CFC7.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 61A2E349-BEC1-40BD-A74E-0368EC57F3ED.jpeg
    61A2E349-BEC1-40BD-A74E-0368EC57F3ED.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 116

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
and the looks were unreal
That's a big part of why I want the neuspeed too. I love seeing those 2 mufflers peepin out from under the car and the double wall tips are pretty cool too.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I wanted to get a few miles with the catback before I shared my thoughts on this thread. It's been a little over a week, so I feel I've listened to it enough now.

I'll start with the fit and finish. The fitment is 10/10 and really doesn't get any better than that. It's one of their points in their marketing material, but they're right. The tips are welded, so there's no messing with them trying to get things aligned. They sit perfectly even and on the same positions on each side. There was no fighting to get it to sit right either. The finish put a smile on my face when I opened the box. The mufflers looked amazing, the tips even better, and the stainless shines nice. I thought maybe the welds could look prettier, but everything else was really good.

Now for the sound...The first thing I want to say is I can't believe how much this thing gurgles. It's a good surprise. I'm so used to my vw's sounding so flat and monotonous. When I let off the gas or shift under 2k rpms you often hear some good gurgles. I think it happens at higher rpms too, it's just harder to tell with increased engine noise/road noise/etc. You also hear them a lot when you're driving around parking lots. It's nothing like a crackle tune though. They're quieter pops that are so much more mellow and no louder than your normal exhaust sounds, and often even quieter. In my video below just about every little rev had some gurgles in it, but they're quiet enough that the phone mic doesn't pick up a lot of it. When you start accelerating at idle it has a nice deep growl to it. At WOT it sounds pretty wicked. I haven't thought of a better way to describe it than wicked. It's not raspy at all, and it's nothing like a fart can, it's actually pretty sporty. I guess I do have 1 or 2 complaints, but so far the way it sounds far outweighs any of the negatives. Really my only problem is it's a bit louder than I expected. It's not crazy loud, but it's definitely louder than my oem catback with the res delete. However it might actually drone less. I don't hear it at an idle from inside the car, but if you're cruising at 2.5k+ rpms it's likely you'll hear the exhaust humming from the back of the car. The stock catback with the res delete kinda made the exhaust sound like it was coming at you from every angle inside the car, but the neuspeed catback makes it pretty clear it's coming back from the back. Some sound deadening in the trunk might help with that. I've never tried it before, but I'm kinda curious. If it makes it harder for me to hear the gurgles that's no good though.

It sounds good, the gurgles are awesome.

1637280832260.png

1637280855324.png

Last edited: