GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Normal" GTI Issues

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
It's worth noting where you are too. These vw rubber seals hate salt and whenever we get some snow on the ground all the noises come out as salt gets all over and dries stuff out. That plus the plastic hates the cold...

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
Bought a dead stock new 2019 GTI DSG on impulse (Bought an unexpected roach of a 4runner, sold it at a loss, then had knee issues dump me out of a manual Corolla in the span of a month), and the only problem I need to bring up to my dealer is the right front "Oh shit" handle not holding in the up position. I'm used to NVH imperfections, but that trim stuff should be given a once over by the dealer especially within warranty.

Maybe the dealer you went to is just ass.
Ha, I totally forgot about that! I had the same issue with mine. My wife used the passenger front handle and the retaining pin for the spring popped out. While inspecting what happened, I was looking at the drivers' side handle and the same thing happened. I had both replaced under warranty by the local dealer. Only issues I'd had so far though.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
First thing I'd do is find another dealer. That service department sounds horrendous. Lots of good suggestions already in the thread on solving your issues. Good luck getting everything squared away.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Haha, you're spot on. I'm about graduate college and it was a total impulse buy. Can't say I regret it, but maybe not the most responsible financial decision. If not for the insane deal and 0% they gave me, I wouldn't have it.

lol not too far off in my position. I bought my last GTI my junior year of college, and had a lot of issues with it so was saving for 3 years to get back out of it. 2 years after graduation, because of COVID I was able to get 0% financing 6 years + 6 months no payments, which combined with no student loan payments made it possible for me to overcome the negative equity in my GTI (i bought it at 15K miles March 31st 2017, traded it in on my Alltrack April 5th 2020 with 95K miles) and have an affordable monthly on the Alltrack.

scotthilly

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
Sorry to hear this. I almost feel guilty that my 2015 GTI purchased in 2014 has been problem free other then coils at 40K miles. So no, NOT normal.
Unfortunately sounds like the dealership is a complete waste of time. I would start with one problem and keep at it until it is resolved and then move onto next. Good input on providing boot up infotainment unit. It is fairly easy to remove the rear seat. You may want to remove the rear seat and look to see if you can find the source of vibration. I would start with removing the lower portion to see if it goes away to try to narrow down where to look. On the sunroof, this guy has good input and did a fix on sunroof you may want to look into.

Thank you, much appreciated! I’ll check that out. Lucky you, it sounds like.

scotthilly

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
It's worth noting where you are too. These vw rubber seals hate salt and whenever we get some snow on the ground all the noises come out as salt gets all over and dries stuff out. That plus the plastic hates the cold...
Yeah, and what makes it worse is that I’m in Atlanta with my family. I was not in Chicago from November on and don’t return until February... to have these issues in a southern winter makes me only imagine what the Chicago winter will do.

scotthilly

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
I may have found the source, has anyone else seen this? There’s plastic wrap on both the left and right sides of the phone, both about 6 inches from the sticker. Above is some I pulled out. That sound is exactly what I’ve been complaining about. Why would it be here?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 114

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I have removed my seat and that plastic was not there. Here is a video that shows you how to remove the rear bench. Four clips come out (press down on forward portion and up on rear) and then lift front edge and it comes right out. From there you can clean out the stuff that is in there.

Last edited:

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I may have found the source, has anyone else seen this? There’s plastic wrap on both the left and right sides of the phone, both about 6 inches from the sticker. Above is some I pulled out. That sound is exactly what I’ve been complaining about. Why would it be here?
Looks like the dealer did a lazy job removing the plastic from the factory. I had similar plastic bits stuck underneath the front of my rear seats when I first got the car

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
I get a driver's door creak in my 10k mile 2019, but that's about it for things I haven't screwed with. No sunroof in my Rabbit Edition to creak.

I get some noise in color weather from the Eibach rear sway bar bracket polyurethane bushings, but that's in my experience with previous vehicles, that's just the nature of poly sway bar bushings

ThatMK7GTIguy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit GTI
My 2015 GTI and my current 2019 GTI both had plastic in this same place, and they both made noise. Both from different dealers. Noticed it right away in the 2019 and I think that's due to the newer ones not having the carpet in the spare tire well. The whole seats are plastic wrapped until they arrive at the dealer would be my best guess.