GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Normal and Sport Mode - Same Steering Feel?

Checkmate1

Guys,

Most of you guys know I bought my new 2017 GTI Sport last week.

Having driven the car a lot, my steering feel in Normal and Sport mode feel the same for the most part. Shouldn't Sport mode make the steering firm and heavier? The feel in Normal and Sport for me is almost the same at low speeds, at higher speeds both modes firm up only a little. Steering feel is a let down for me so far.

Not sure if there is something wrong, no codes or issues.

stelviopass

I find that the sport steering gets some weight as you turn more. I actually prefer the normal steering and set my individual settings to normal steering and everything else sport.

mkygod

Ready to race!
Guys,

Most of you guys know I bought my new 2017 GTI Sport last week.

Having driven the car a lot, my steering feel in Normal and Sport mode feel the same for the most part. Shouldn't Sport mode make the steering firm and heavier? The feel in Normal and Sport for me is almost the same at low speeds, at higher speeds both modes firm up only a little. Steering feel is a let down for me so far.

Not sure if there is something wrong, no codes or issues.

Sport DOES make the steering feel feel heavier. But that's pretty much all it does. It should be immediately noticeable at low speeds.

plainsight

Passed Driver's Ed
my 2016 GTI's steering feel gets noticeably stiffer on sport mode. Def more than 10%, maybe 20-25% but not a crazy difference. I don't use normal mode at all anymore

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Sport steering really firms things up on my 17 sport. I only switch to sport steering for high speeds. For normal DD, its too much and rather annoying to deal with.

There must be something wrong with yours if you don't notice an immediate difference....or you just haven't used it enough in normal vs sport to feel the difference?

Marcsoup

A couple weeks ago, I was in a parking lot driving in a circle at about 5 mph just playing around with it. If you use your index finger to turn the wheel slowly while swapping between sport and normal, you can feel a very clear difference. I personally prefer sport for daily driving, but on long drives I'll go to normal.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Sport steering only seems to work when you put the DSG into Sport mode as well, at least for me. Or perhaps I should say that I only really notice it when I throw the DSG into S and step on it around some tight mountain roads. So I have no clue how that works with guys with the 6 speed.