GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NOOB to Stick

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Probably not, take a sharpie and mark where your side to side lever ends now, and pull out 2-3 thread lengths towards the firewall.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Probably not, take a sharpie and mark where your side to side lever ends now, and pull out 2-3 thread lengths towards the firewall.
Yea, sounds like he's close just need a very slight adjustment.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I'm not exactly sure on how to do that. Like twist the shift end linkage?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Just to confirm, you are deloading the endlinks springs right?

What he’s saying to do is mark the area the cable end is connected to the endlink (side to side) then without the either locking pins in place trans and shifter) then release the tension on the spring clamp, and slide the cable out of the link 2-3 “threads” out (so make the line you marked go away from the endlink) then let the spring load back on and test it again.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Pull the spring back to open the prongs and then pull the rod out only a couple threads. That's why he's saying to mark where it sits now, when you go to move the rod it's easy to lose track of where it was and you only need a very small adjustment.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Pull the spring back to open the prongs and then pull the rod out only a couple threads. That's why he's saying to mark where it sits now, when you go to move the rod it's easy to lose track of where it was and you only need a very small adjustment.
I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and keep the pin in my car just incase.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Alright so since I really couldn't control how many threads would come out I ended up just redoing the alignment while being more careful. (Instructions too complicated, hand stuck in ice maker) lol.

So far no issues in 2nd gear, I'll keep driving around and see how I feel.

Last edited:

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
lol reminds me of when I first learned manual. It was a rush as I left the driveway, lol. Yeah the nerves will obviously be there since you're new to it. There is no "practice" road to get to where you need to go so your in it with live traffic and dealing with the issues of figuring out how to shift properly, not stall, all while paying attention to the road and cars around you.

Believe me, it will smooth out. Not immediately. I can't honestly remember how long it took until I felt comfy with it but will say, after my 1st manual car, my 2nd manual car I was pro and had zero issues driving manual by then. I owned my first for around 2, 1/2 years if that means anything... Just keep at it. Like they say, practice makes perfect.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So I have say I'm getting better, 2nd does not feel nearly as bad! Shifting faster and a bit cocky (no grinding or launching.) Tho I still have to work on not focusing on what other drivers think of me so I don't get inside my own head.

Thanks again everyone! very supportive! Much love!

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
So I have say I'm getting better, 2nd does not feel nearly as bad! Shifting faster and a bit cocky (no grinding or launching.) Tho I still have to work on not focusing on what other drivers think of me so I don't get inside my own head.

Thanks again everyone! very supportive! Much love!
Yes that is important. Especially for taking off from a dig. You will take off slower than autos, that's a fact. It is important to remain calm and just get into your groove. They may honk, "f" em, they're behind, they do anything, they're at fault, lol. Let them pass you once the lane opens up if they have to. I learned to just ignore them because rushing when you're learning will cause panic or stalling (I know that).

The important thing also with preventing grinding is also just relaxing. You don't need to slam into gear every time or hit the clutch like you're in nascar. Just relax. Relaxing while driving manual makes everything go smoother.

You would laugh if you were in the car with me when I had my srt4. The shift knob was rather high, I would be on a phone call with my right hand and I'd use my elbow to shift from 4th down to 3rd, lol. Again, I did it casually while maintaining my phone call and down shifting at times, lol.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I have new questions!

1.How would I know if I am burning or Appling unnecessary wear on the clutch?

2.Occasionally I get a lag feeling when letting the clutch back out. (like it takes a second for the two to connect if that makes sense.) Is it just me letting the clutch out too fast?

3.What is the safest and lowest speed to take off in second gear in a rolling stop? I know above 10MPH its all good but seems to lug in lower speeds.

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Here's my take:

1. You should be able to feel the clutch slipping. This is the classic tell-tale of a clutch that is on the way out.
2. Could be. Hard to tell with no tactile experience in your car. Maybe have a trusted friend drive your car and give you some feedback.
3. I think you answered your own question. If she lugs below 10 mph in 2nd gear, then avoid. Lugging is not good for any engine.

Last edited:

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Here's my take:

1. You should be able to feel the clutch slipping. This is the classic tell-tale of a clutch that is on the way out.
2. Could be. Hard to tell with no tactical experience in your car. Maybe have a trusted friend drive your car and give you some feedback.
3. I think you answered your own question. If she lugs below 10 mph in 2nd gear, then avoid. Lugging is not good for any engine.
so 10mph is ok?