GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NOOB to Stick

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I bought my first MT when I was 25 (so 9 years ago now) and that was a Mazdaspeed3.

I lived at the top of a long steep hill, and the only way to get home from work was to go up the huge hill which had an intersection with a traffic light in the middle. So I would get stopped at a red on this massive incline almost every day. After 2 weeks I wanted to sell the car and start over.

But alas, I figured it out, and so will you and everyone else.

Oddly, one thing I did like about the MS3 trans was how short the gearing was. I felt like I short shifted every gear change but the car was ready for it. I was doing 30-35mph in 4th, 45 in 5th. In the GTI if I try to shift into 4th at 30mph I'll lug the shit out of it (and do sometimes). But I did learn that the MS3 was much smoother if I double clutched the 1-2 shift.

I still double clutch 1-2 in the VW, but also still short shift the hell out of it. I'm trying to teach myself to give it a few more rpm's and slowly but surely I'm getting it. Every new car is a learning experience, whether it is your first MT or not.

Last edited:

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
OP, this is a good video to get inspired with. Double clutching isnt needed anymore with modern cars, but I still do it for regular downshifts because it's a ton smoother.

PS: Ignore the dildo shift knob

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yup, as sad as it sounds... since we are synchronized, vin diesel was right - if you double clutch the 02m/02q/0fb it does make for getting the gears to fall in really smooth.

I don’t find myself doing it on down shifts really since I having the single mass flywheel as a quick blip when I clutch the car seams to let it in easy.

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Hmm, Mr. OP, maybe you can have an experienced manual transmission driver ride with you and offer some realtime feedback. Other than that, I think it just boils down to seat time (i.e. experience). Oh, and I'd recommend going easy on the mods. You may find that the car is perfectly fine, it's just a matter of getting better technique over time.

The DSG is a great transmission, but my 6MT still brings so much personal enjoyment! You'll be a manual driving pro in no time. Just keep at it!!

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I’ve posted this few times now, but here it is again for OP:

As a film school grad and trained editor, it’s very well done.
Man I just want to do my family proud and learn what they know. This video does make me drool at running the car down some curves and feeling each gear.

So far I feel the transmission mounts :D lol CLunk creEK

Last edited:

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
“Ya BUt mY caR ShIFtS fasTEr FOr Me”

He’s does such a great job with that vid.
Him, Cammisa and Reid are my top 3. Harris used to be my go-to until it his reviews became about the superlatives of the car.

smooth_criminal

Car(s)
2017 Mk7 GTI
So I'm pretty new to the car community, just got my GTI back in September and I can relate to all of these things. It was my first stick too, and I kinda made it a mission to get really good at driving it. I disagree with some of the feedback you're getting on the 1->2 shift, because you said it pops out of gear.

I also sucked at this shift, but that was because of throttle response/control. There's a huge delay that's coded into the ecu that can make good throttle control hard. It wasn't until I tuned the car that I was able to really hone in on my throttle control. But I experienced a very lurchy shift due to differences in speeds between the flywheel and clutch, but my shifter never wanted to pop-out.

I noticed my shifter did/was popping back out after playing with the shift linkage when I swapped out my clutch. If you realign the shifter this should help with this.

I could be wrong, but it's worth a try.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So fellas! I was driving around a lot yesterday playing taxi for my friends and I did start "waiting" for second gear to take. I basically would rev a bit up 2k+, clutch in and rev match into second on the way down so like at less then I started 2k - 1.5k. It seems happier but still wish it wasn't an angry child about it.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Sure - people can recommend whatever they'd like. It's a great 6 speed transmission - there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Some people are overly anal, and because the options to upgrade certain parts are there, they do.

Agreed. The 6-Speed in our TDI (since sold) and the 6-Speed in my new 2021 GTI SE are great -- no complaints at all with either. Been driving manuals exclusively for 40+ years now. I can appreciate the performance drivers here wanting to rework theirs, but for me, my gearbox and clutch action seem fine.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Wait really? Wtf here I thought I was conserving on 91..

yeah your car is a manual, not a DSG. DSGs have “S” in the transmission modes that definitely uses more fuel by keeping you in lower gears forever. But the “Sport” Driver Profile just makes the steering wheel more weighted, throttle response the best it’ll get from the factory, and the soundaktor 100% volume (test it out next time, go back and forth between Sport and Normal and step on the gas in 3rd gear. More “beefy” sound in Sport driver mode.

and if you have lighting package, it affects AFS in some way I don’t really understand. And if you have DCC it sets the dampers to the stiffest setting.

none of the above affect gas mileage, unless you happen to notice you enjoy the sound of the soundaktor at 100%, and get into the throttle to hear it :)

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
My second gear kicked out again today... Is it me??