GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NOOB to Stick

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
It's another delay valve, built into the factory clutch line. If you opt for an aftermarket clutch line, you can delete it.
Is it better to delete it? I can't say for sure sure. The difference without it is less noticeable than the improvement from removing the delay valve on the bleeder block.
I took mine out....

Going to put it back...but still run the steel line. by design it’s not a delay, once it’s filled with fluids (as the system always is) it’s not going to the slow the system down the same way the delay valve having the bottle neck point.

I didn’t experience any faster or better engagements just a more direct feel of vibrations in the pedal,lol

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
1. 1-2 shift took me about a year before I really had it down on my first manual, a 2012 MK6 GTI. It really is a matter of going slow, but not just “going slow.” Specifically with the 1-2 shift, there’s an exaggerated delayed motion at the bite point. Shift around 3K and ease off to the bite point and hold for .5 seconds, then ease off for another .5 seconds to fully-engaged. If you follow the exact steps above, and practice, you’ll get it down.

2. This is ultimately a matter of experience, though even with 7 years manual experience, I noticed a drastic improvement in the overall ease of taking off after I deleted the CDV via the ECS bleeder block. That, a Dogbone upgrade, and a clutch stop + removing clutch return spring costs a combined ~$300 or less and drastically improves ease and comfort of operation.

3. If you live somewhere where it’s as low as 7 degrees out when you turn the car on for a cold-start, do 2 things:
1. Let your engine’s cold-start idle do it’s thing before pulling away. This gives your engine time to lubricate itself before applying any load as you drive away.
2. If its THAT cold where you live, you may actually benefit from short-shifting 1-2. Shift 1st-2nd ~10mph, and you’ll enter 2nd at around 1K RPMs. This could actually help you get the hang of the uniqueness of the 1-2 shift, while also keeping your RPMs lower at the beginning of your super-cold starts.
3. Never floor or even exceed 30% throttle before your OIL TEMPERATURE (NOT the coolant temperature gauge underneath the tachometer) have reached at least 140, 150 degrees. And even then don’t go “hard” until operating temperature, 180+

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Sure - people can recommend whatever they'd like. It's a great 6 speed transmission - there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Some people are overly anal, and because the options to upgrade certain parts are there, they do.

It really is not a great transmission. Stock it feels like garbage and with some mods it feels acceptable.

Have you driven a car with a good, direct RWD transmission like a Miata or S2000? The difference is night and day. Or drive an older Honda if you want a good cable shifted transmission.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
It really is not a great transmission. Stock it feels like garbage and with some mods it feels acceptable.

Have you driven a car with a good, direct RWD transmission like a Miata or S2000? The difference is night and day. Or drive an older Honda if you want a good cable shifted transmission.
I have. I have owned a Civic SiR with a civic Type R transmission, I owned an Acura CSX Type-S (you guys didn't get those in the states, but essentially a de-tuned Civic Type R with a fancy interior), my cousin has owned an S2000 since the early 2000's and I have driven it many times. I understand what you are saying, the old Honda transmissions feel more direct, they do, but this one is not bad by any means, in my view. I had a MK6R 6MT prior to this, in which I also liked the transmission.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

PenIsland

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Volkswagen GTI 2020
I got my GTI in November and it was my first stick car. I had barely any experience driving stick.

I've driven my car literally everyday and 5000 miles later I feel very confident driving the car anywhere. The only way to learn is by doing it.

You're gunna make mistakes, learn and keep it moving.

Also that anxiety does go away! (and comes right back when you're stuck on a steep hill with congested traffic lmfaooooo)

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
You're not gonna kill the clutch with clunky shifts, that doesn't help but you're not going to K-O it quickly this way.

On the 1-2 let the clutch out slow as you apply the gas. Too fast on the clutch or too quick with the gas is going to get that clunk. People who have decades of manual experience still say it's clunky, you just need to build up muscle memory for good shifts.

You have to feel the shift points. If you stare at the tach watching the rpm you'll f up the shift.

Also, you can leg out 1st to 30mph or so if you're trying to come off the line quick. Shifting from high rpm in 1st is easier to pull off smoothly as well, but that isn't really a great way to learn, more a technique for when you're more comfortable.

Or just give up and go DSG. They give away hats here if you drink their kool-aid.

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

Was gonna say the same thing.

If you think this manual is great...you've never operated a great manual transmission. My 2004 Civic SE was a million times smoother than the GTI manual 😋

The GTI can obviously be operated smoothly, but you need practice. Literally anyone could jump in that Civic and pull off shift after shift flawlessly.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R

S2000 is the best manual car I've shifted.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
S2000 is the best manual car I've shifted.
Anything with a direct mount shifter is so much better than any cable or rod activated transmission. Is it really surprising the VW isn't great? I mean, the transmission is five feet from the gear lever.

The S2k is great. The FD RX7 was very similar, but the clutch was heavier, which is weird since it has about 18 lb/ft of torque. My Z3 M Coupe shifter felt great, but the clutch engagement was just weird, holding it back. The RSX Type S was pretty darn good for fwd, as was my CRX Si. I have learned to like the bottom hinged 993 and earlier 911's, but they do take some acclimation.

For folks recommending the OP do the CDV delete or any other changes, I think that's unlikely to make a big enough difference to change their comfort level. All of the changes add up to a really minor change in overall feeling, and learning to drive a manual doesn't really benefit from overall feel, it's more of a timing and confidence thing. Once you're comfortable driving a manual, it can be a three on the tree MB 220, or a Carrera GT, they all work pretty much the same.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I noticed I shift easier in sport mode. I usually drive in normal (better gas mileage?)

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I noticed I shift easier in sport mode. I usually drive in normal (better gas mileage?)
As far as I'm concerned, Sport Mode is activated by your heart, verified by your brain and executed by both feet, and right hand simultaneously.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
It shifts 'better' in sport mode because pedal response is a bit better than in normal or eco mode.

Feel for the clutch friction point and moderate the gas to prevent stalling. Repeat till you figure it out.

Or do like most and just floor it and let go of the clutch, then complaint your clutch can't handle stock power.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
First manual?......Sorry that happened to be a VW car which was designed & built when VW decided to make the linkage parts between the gearstick in the cabin & the shifter mech on the top of the gearbox, out of flexing plastic for cheapness....

There is so much flex, that to get a 100% alignment of the cables is a serious PITA...& I've been driving & working on manual VAG cars for 26yrs. (bad cable alignment leads to bad shifts)

I've had to remove all the stupid plastic stuff & retro-fit metal stuff..one of the main culprits is the idiotic yellow plastic pivot pin for the sprung lever arm for the gearstick..thankfully Dieslegeek make an all metal "superpin"...fantastic...but you have to remove the whole centre console to get to it...its worth it though!