GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Non-PP Track Setup

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
I did my first HPDE event in October of last year after 3 years of autocross and karting and now I'm hooked! I'm starting to prepare for the 2021 season now as we move into spring. My car is a 17 GTI, 6MT, non-PP, on 3 year old RE71R's with probably 70 or so autocross runs on them and a few thousand street miles. Last year to prep for the track day I bled my brakes with Motul RBF660, and put Hawk HPS Street pads and Centric High Carbon Rotors on the front. The rear was left with factory brakes and rotors. The track day was mostly rainy so the only time I got any significant heat in my brakes was for about 5 minutes in my last session when the track was drying, so I can't really judge this setup. However, there was a ton of brake dust and pad transfer after my last session. I've attached a photo (wheels are black when they are clean).

I'm going to be tracking my car 5+ times this year and I'm looking for mostly brake advice from any one else doing HPDE's on non-PP cars. I'm planning on adding the RS3 cooling ducts and bleeding the brakes with high temp fluid again. But, I'm looking at other pad and rotor options as well. Are there any good pad, rotor, and fluid combos that seem to resist fade without upgrading to an expensive big brake kit? It'd be ideal to have a pad that was daily-able but I could swap pads for HPDE weekends if needed.
Is it worth disabling or limiting the XDS system to avoid cooking the brakes while accelerating out of a corner?

Non brake related questions:
I am considering fully disabling the ECS/TCS system so I can learn how to drive the car without constant intervention whenever the car has any noticeable slip in "ECS Sport Mode," is this common practice for HPDE's on these cars?
I've seen a few suggestions on alignment (with stock suspension), is there an agreed upon "Baseline" HPDE setup that is recommended?
Any other upgrades I should consider? The car is a daily on poorly maintained Michigan roads so I'm thinking of things like a rear ARB, dampers, and maybe a proper diff, (after I get enough seat time with my "stock" setup, of course) but I'd be hesitant to put it on stiffer springs or coilovers.

Thanks!
I am non-PP, but I have never tracked my car. I have been able to FULLY disable my ECS/TC using VCDS. I forget the actual sequence on how to do it, but there is a writeup or YouTube video somewhere, which is how I found out how to disable it. I use it quite often, especially in snow, because I can actually feel where I am loosing grip instead of the car doing nonsense work to try to gain traction...

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
Is this a thing?

If you can't be convinced otherwise, maybe a stud conversion?
I tried doing a stud conversion on my MK7 GTI. Worst thing I have done to the car. No matter how precise I was with the stud install, it never aligned with my aftermarket wheels correctly, nor was it completely safe. I got rid of them the day after I installed them. IMO, do not do a stud conversion! I have even had my tuner tell me the same thing.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
If you are deadset on a stud conversion you can look into the parts on the lms car, as they run studs.
331a7fe288c020ff17f7ab32bf227d42.png
6413f4430e8212c7138068d20dafb340.png

No idea if it would bolt right up, however, and would probably cost a pretty penny

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
How does a stud conversion get messed up? Did someone bend all the studs?? I am quite happy with mine and it makes changing wheels a breeze (especially since my winter wheels need spacers). I check stud tightness and look for any issues when I change wheels but otherwise it’s pretty much set and forget.

83F5C993-02C0-4459-8610-914D9AFE3E3D.jpeg

Also, it costs like $120 and one hour to do. Don’t need any special LMS parts.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I think (and I’m paraphrasing a distant memory here so take this for what it’s worth) spacers add stress to the wheel hub due to the additional weight+moving the mounting point out further. Wheel bearings can fail earlier. On some cars people replace wheel bearings like every other track season if they’re driven a lot.
It's basic physics. I'm not sure if it's a "thing", but if you move the wheel away from the hub, it has more leverage to put more torque on the hub. I'm not sure if it makes a substantial difference, but I'm not comfortable with it because I don't know how much of a cushion the engineers built into the design.

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
It's basic physics. I'm not sure if it's a "thing", but if you move the wheel away from the hub, it has more leverage to put more torque on the hub. I'm not sure if it makes a substantial difference, but I'm not comfortable with it because I don't know how much of a cushion the engineers built into the design.
Pretty sure the Mk7 GTI/R uses the same wheel bearing as a Tiguan, if that gives anyone a bit of peace of mind
^^^
If I were you I wouldn't take my word either, but ask someone you trust who is a real track rat.

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Our race cars on the team run spacers and it imposes no issue in premature bearing failures. I wouldn't worry about that at all

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Our race cars on the team run spacers and it imposes no issue in premature bearing failures. I wouldn't worry about that at all
Definitely good to know

Waltari

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I ran two summers multiple HPDE trackdays with non-PP calipers, stock rotors, ceramic pads and RBF600. We've got two straights at PIR and on the back I'm dropping from 120+mph to about 50mph and on the front usually 110mph to 40mph. With 3 sessions, I usually would see some fade toward the end of each session, but were manageable. Just upgraded to factory PP calipers (wanted to keep stock for easy compatibility), slotted rotors, EBC Yellow stuff pads, stainless lines, and RBF600. EBC pads have bedded in and are quiet on street. Definitely feel more bite and looking forward to getting them on track next month.

WJBenGTI

Car(s)
2017 GTI 6MT Non-PP
I just did my first track day of the year this weekend at Gingerman, it was a blast! I decided to use what remained of my Hawk HPS pads in the front, and fresh OEM rear pads. I installed the RS3 brake cooling ducts and had a fresh bleed with RBF600 as well.

Being that this was my 2nd HPDE ever and my first at this track, I had an instructor and I was in the novice group. The first half of Saturday was a lot of instructional laps and being stuck in traffic. Eventually in the afternoon the traffic thinned out and I was able to push for a few laps. I had one full session without much traffic and during that session my front pads went from about 2 backing plate thicknesses to 1 backing plate thickness with an insane amount of pad transfer on the rotors. The rear pads and rotors looked fine, with no crazy pad transfer or wear. The instructor verified that I was not doing anything incorrect on the brakes. The brakes didn't feel bad despite the large amounts of pad transfer and I never felt any large amounts of fluid fade either. I was able to run a 1:51.9 which I was pretty content with given my car and experience.

Day two I tried to take it easy on the brakes. Most laps I would take the corners at regular speed but then stop accelerating around 80mph on the straights so I didn't have to brake as long for the next corner. I would still do one or two full speed laps per session, but give the car plenty of cooldown between them. Also, I was able to find a fellow GTI driver who had an OBD11 and I used that to turn off my XDS completely. Before I turned it off, I could feel it activating the inside brakes around a lot of the track, so I figured it was definitely causing some of my brake wear and heat. Overall, limiting my speed on the straights and deactivating XDS meant I had enough brakes to get home at the end of the day (I had some autozone pads as a last resort too). I still had tons of fun, but obviously I would've liked to have more confidence in my brakes on the second day.

I was expecting the car to understeer off every corner without XDS but it was actually not bad. If you get on the power aggressively with too much steering, it would definitely push more than with XDS on, but I learned more throttle and steering control with it off. I wasn't much slower with it off either.

So, now that I have proven that I can not use Hawk HPS pads on track on my front brakes, I'll be looking for some decent pads, performance pack take off brakes, or a big brake kit. Is anyone running the Ferodo DS2500's on the front of a non-pp for track days? I've heard it's a decent choice and FCP Euro has them for the front of non-pp cars. Also, how big of a difference do slotted rotors make? I think my car is about due for new rotors anyway if I stick with stock brake dimensions.

Finally, a few times on track I had a strange thing happen with my brakes and I'm curious if anyone else has experienced it. At the end of a straight, I would go to the brake and it would almost immediately feel like ABS had kicked in, the pedal would vibrate like it does with ABS. While this was happening the pedal would also go soft and I would ease off the brake a bit. As I eased off the brake, the ABS feeling would stop and the pedal pressure would all immediately come back (while my foot was still on the brake) and I could push hard again with normal feeling brakes. It was like I had brake fade that was only present during ABS during the first part of a braking zone but it was happening when it didn't feel like ABS should've been doing anything. Could it have been pad knockback? Has anyone felt anything like that? Again, I'm new to HPDE's so it could've been something I was doing wrong, but it definitely felt weird.

Edit: It looks like up4speed is running DS2500's on his non-pp car, I forgot that was mentioned earlier in this thread!

Last edited:

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
IMO the Macan brakes are the best bang for your buck costing around 800 with slotted rotors/pads/ss-lines and calipers. I haven't tracked them yet but have really pushed them on some upstate backroads and I can already tell they hold up a lot better than non-pp brakes. They do require a bit of trial and error with greasing the pistons and obd11 to get them to feel good for track use. Anything after that like the ST-40 kit or a Brembo kit and you are looking at 2.5k+. Also the Macan calipers are quite a bit lighter than pp calipers+braket.

If you are going to stick with non-pp brakes, I've had good experiences with EBC yellow stuff up at Watkins, however, they will eat rotors after about 10k miles. The small 312mmX20mm rotors are the limiting factor, eventually if you are pushing hard enough they just can't deal with the heat no matter what pad you run.

For that weird ABS thing were you on the stock rear pads? I found while bedding in my yellow stuff while still on the stock rear pads and non-pp rotors, the rear pads would overheat way faster and lose friction due to being absolute crap from the factory. Abs would then try to kick in on the rear causing all sorts of wacky stuff. Switched to a more aggressive rear pad and it solved it.

I also run drilled FCP rotors front and rear. Does it help, eh maybe, it's more for the look for me. They only cost 20 more per rotor, and I get free replacements with FCP :D