GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Non lighting package mk7.5 led upgrade?

Darkironblue20

Car(s)
2020 Mk7.5 GTI 1 GLI
Hello guys and gals I'm new to the forum world and I'm looking to see what other people are using as far as led bulbs for a non lighting package gti. Any help is greatly appreciated.

bootzilla

You'll find this is a hot-potato subject. Couple of things to keep in mind:

-The reflector was designed for a particular light source. If the light source on the LED bulb is in exactly the same spot as the filament on the halogen bulb, it would stand to reason that the reflector would reflect light in exactly the same way - leading to a similar pattern and cutoff, albeit with a longer throw.

-Some will likely say "those are not DOT approved - you need to go with Osram/Ed's Reps/Helix, etc." - and they are correct that projector lamps are better-designed for LED lamps - but they are not DOT approved, either - they have E-code patterns and are only ECE compliant - so, while one is better than the other, the legality is the same.

-This thread will devolve into an argument, and deautokey will reply.

Personally - I say do some research, do what you want - the stock halogens do indeed suck. Just make sure whatever headlights you use are adjusted properly. A lot of people get needlessly bent out of shape over this particular topic - the world isn't going to end and approaching cars aren't going to go streaming off the highway while Manfred Mann is playing on repeat through their heads because someone has some Ed's Reps, or swaps in some LED lamps.

Last edited:

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
You can buy replica bi-xenon headlights that can accommodate HID or LED bulbs reasonably priced ($500-600). Not only does it improve aesthetics, but night time driving is vastly improved.

I advise against HID's or LED's in a halogen housing because it creates poor light spread and you blind oncoming drivers with the glare.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Bummer :(

I would get the OEM Alltrack skid plate

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I went with Ed's, and have no regrets. BE SURE TO TEST THEM BEFORE PUTTING EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER. I had the spade connectors backwards, and if I had buttoned everything up it would've been quite annoying to pull it all back apart again.

Also, be aware that if you're in the states, these don't have the amber reflector in the housing, which the dealer may not let slide for inspection. However, third-party shops may not notice or may let it slide.

I also had the halogen lights, PO installed LED bulbs but the light output was still subpar. Upgrading to Ed's was a massive improvement, and I can't recommend them enough. Resources online for instruction were great, though be aware that the instructions for the HID kit will not be clear on the spade connector positions -- I want to say it's blue to blue, black to white, but again test before you put everything back together. If they're not correct, you won't damage anything, but your lights won't work.

Support from Ed was fantastic throughout the whole process, and they're worth every penny IMO. https://www.becautoparts.com/