GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noise when engaging clutch from a stop

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Hey guys, for a while now I been getting an odd noise when engaging the clutch in first gear. Say from a stop I need to start moving I will clutch in, first gear, raise the rpms a bit and start releasing the clutch. When the clutch is getting to its bitting point I will get like a rattling/ growling noise and it has me concerned. I started to notice this noise probably 4-6 months ago but it was as frequent as it is now. I get this noise almost everyday now when engaging the clutch (biting point) in first gear. I replaced the clutch and flywheel about 3k miles ago and I am still get the same noise. It sounds like the car wants to stall but it doesn't. I personally feel like the clutch pedal is not as forgiving as when I got the car at CPO at 12k miles. Currently sitting at 44k. It's a 2017 GTI MT. I am wondering if it could be the thrust bearing getting worn up already and its making this noise. I constantly stay in & out the house going to places due errands, work, school, gym exc. From all my driving, those start ups every time and ALOT of stop and go traffic. There's some starts up when you crank the car it will crank rough and I would hear like a very fast thud sound that fairly faint that could be at the crank from what i am assuming.

What could it be? Any manual owners experienced this?

I appreciated any information/ knowledge you guys can give me.

Last edited:

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
No help on my end just to state the obvious, take it in. Are you not under warranty with a MY 17 and CPO?

Petey T

Go Kart Champion
I get the same metal sounding rattle which seems like it’s coming from under the passenger side dash. Only really does it for the first few minutes after the car starts then goes away.

South Bend Stage 3 Daily installed about 4,000 miles ago by an Audi/VW tech. Everything feels perfect just that weird noise

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
No help on my end just to state the obvious, take it in. Are you not under warranty with a MY 17 and CPO?
i am still under warranty it expires in January 2022, the hassle is to remove the DP & remove the tune to take it in. They will see that I was tuned recently, however, I was experiencing this before I tuned and changed out the stock clutch. I have never modded a car and had worked with a dealer so I don’t want the stealership to fuck me. And say some slick stuff to turn me down. I have paper work of the oil changed I’ve done at a Indy VW/Audi shop. Oil changed at every 5k miles. Daily driving for school and work

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I believe I've got the same sound you're talking about, I'd have to listen again to confirm. It's relatively soft, but almost sounds similar to how surface rust-y brakes sound at first, but at a notably lower volume. Does that sound correct to you? I have a 2019, stock clutch and no tune. Mine sounds closer to the area where the pedal is however, almost like it's coming from the transmission area.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Honestly, don’t know how that would sound loll. It’s happening everyday now when coming off from a stop. Engaging clutch below 1k rpm makes it sound. I know that’s not good but sometimes if I’m not paying attention our just mess up I would get this. Imagine it’s the thrust bearing saying “pssstt.”

I told my mechanic about it and he said it could be a motor/trans mount.

Last edited:

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
Sounds like either a bad throw-out bearing or actual clutch chatter based on the description. Recording of the noise might be more helpful in diagnosing.

Anthony3o55

Autocross Champion
Sounds like either a bad throw-out bearing or actual clutch chatter based on the description. Recording of the noise might be more helpful in diagnosing.
Not sure how it can be that. It was replaced when I did my clutch around 42-44k miles.

Tbh, I don't think they took off the yellow thing for the clutch bleeder block, heard that it's recommended when upgrading clutches. For the noise, I do notice it happens mainly when don't give enough rpm. When I first got this car and was learning MT at the time, I never got any noise no matter how bad I was engaging the clutch coming from a stop.

I have been getting random misfires once every 2-3 weeks. I would mainly get cylinder 2 misfire "intermittent" P030100. The other day I had a misfire on cylinder 1, 2, & 4 all the same code p030.

OEM Sparks plugs and coils replaced at 40k.

Maybe carbon build up? Been running a DP since 18k and been running lean ever since. 93 oct always.

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
Not sure how it can be that. It was replaced when I did my clutch around 42-44k miles.

Tbh, I don't think they took off the yellow thing for the clutch bleeder block, heard that it's recommended when upgrading clutches. For the noise, I do notice it happens mainly when don't give enough rpm. When I first got this car and was learning MT at the time, I never got any noise no matter how bad I was engaging the clutch coming from a stop.

I have been getting random misfires once every 2-3 weeks. I would mainly get cylinder 2 misfire "intermittent" P030100. The other day I had a misfire on cylinder 1, 2, & 4 all the same code p030.

OEM Sparks plugs and coils replaced at 40k.

Maybe carbon build up? Been running a DP since 18k and been running lean ever since. 93 oct always.

Just because it was replaced doesn't mean it may not be bad from either improper installation or bad luck.

A video might be really helpful.

When did the codes start popping up, before or after the clutch install? Only happen when cold and during startup or?