GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noise Left Rear - Golf R

rhugg

Passed Driver's Ed
Maybe you guys can point me in a direction before going to the dealership.

Getting some noise in the left rear of my 2015 Golf R, 65,000 miles. It is pretty clear over 30 MPH. When you unweight that wheel by turning left it goes away. Rotated tires to make sure it wasn't a tire. No Joy. New brake pads, rotors good.

I'm thinking wheel bearing. Haven't studied the system, maybe something like a CV joint?

Guessing it is not the Haldex transmission ...is there some maintenance I should do to it?

Not confident that a regular mechanic would get it as the rear end is somewhat special so if it needs to go to the shop, it is VW/Audi.

Thanks

rhugg

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd say a bit of a vibration but mostly a hum, it isn't a clear bearing noise...yet. His description of 'growl' is probably representative. When I rotated the tires I turned the wheel but I didn't feel/hear anything at hand turn speeds. At slow speed driving I don't hear it. Like I noted it does go away when I unload the wheel by turning and I've ruled out the tire. Like prior wheel bearing problems I've had...they make themselves known over time.

So a regular joe can do a wheel bearing on the rear of a Golf R? Last one I did was a Suburban.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
A bad wheel bearing usually will only make noise around a set MPH range. Drive on a road where you can hear the noise and then swerve back and forth slowly like the Nascar drivers do when they are warming up their tires. If the noise changes as you're swerving it's a wheel bearing.

rhugg

Passed Driver's Ed
I hear it at starting at about 25 mph. No play in the wheel yet, it does come and go as you swerve, when you load the left side you hear it and it is definitely rear end not front so it is the left rear. Approximately a $280 part at VW. Looks like a FAG is about $100.

Thanks. This will be the first abnormal repair I've had so the car has treated me fairly.

Is there someone Forum Members are to support?

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
The only things that would transmit noise into the cabin are a bad tire or wheel bearing. There's a chance you may get noise from a bad strut or top strut mount, but it wouldn't be a humming like you are describing.

My vote is also for wheel bearing considering the sound comes in and out as you load / unload the wheel at speed.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I hear it at starting at about 25 mph. No play in the wheel yet, it does come and go as you swerve, when you load the left side you hear it and it is definitely rear end not front so it is the left rear. Approximately a $280 part at VW. Looks like a FAG is about $100.

Thanks. This will be the first abnormal repair I've had so the car has treated me fairly.

Is there someone Forum Members are to support?
Sounds like a wheel bearing but I would get a professional opinion before buying parts you might not need. An experienced mechanic can move the wheel back and forth and confirm a wheel bearing. I wouldn't know what I was feeling for.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Sounds like a wheel bearing but I would get a professional opinion before buying parts you might not need. An experienced mechanic can move the wheel back and forth and confirm a wheel bearing. I wouldn't know what I was feeling for.

I've had bad wheel bearings that didn't have any noticeable play when physically moving the wheel left right / up down.

Normally the hum is the most tell tale sign.

I do agree though, if you aren't sure and are willing to fork out the $$ for the diagnosis at a shop, it may be the best course of action. Just make sure the cost of the diag goes towards the work if you aren't going to do it yourself.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I had a slight hum on my MK4 when the left rear wheel bearing went. I kept the wheels properly torqued myself. When I moved the steering wheel very slightly from one side to the other in a quiet area it changed pitch. VERY expensive at a dealer. Any good indie should be able to diagnose it. If you use a dealer try to get one that's (cough) honest.

Last edited:

rhugg

Passed Driver's Ed
They are honest, the nice building and the new cars just justify a higher profit margin. And talk to a mechanic that works there and you'll find out that the $ is not going to them. They are paid standard rate and have to rush thru jobs to make better $. But sometimes they are the only ones you can trust for special things. My experience is that a wheel bearing will communicate to you that it is a problem. It will become clearer. I could call the dealer and ask them but I'm betting the job would be close to $500 as I would pay full price for the part...maybe over $400.

The DSG service made me choke and when I asked why, I was told the oil was made of gold an unobtanium and came from a lab in Wuhan China. Look up what the oil costs and you figure out they are making several hundred dollars for a job they can do in under 1 hour. I like to have a good independent VW guy that only works on VW's.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Wheel bearing is not too hard of a job. It does take a special socket and a long breaker bar as the torque is like 150 ft lbs + some rotation. I have it written (from memory) up here somewhere. Note this is for a regular GTI, it may be more involved for the R.

Here it is: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/sos-wheel-bolt-stripped.349683/#post-7107845 "I had to remove the rear hub and wheel bearing to install performance package splash shield. Requires a M18 triple square and a large breaker bar as torque is 150 ft lbs plus 180°." I never got the 180° of rotation, but 150 ft lbs and maybe 30 or 40°. It is not going anywhere.

Check that, it is quite different on Golf R as seen here. Does not look too hard. That said if out of your wheelhouse could buy parts and have independent do it:

Last edited: