GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No longer a virgin

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I attended my first autocross (Solo) event at Darlington, SC. It was a "test and tune" day so we each multiple opportunities to run the course. 32 cars were there and we were divided into two groups one to man the course and a group to have an hour to run. After an hour we switched. The same scheme was carried out after lunch. I must have gotten in about 15 runs between morning and afternoon. All I can say is that now I know why I bought the GTI.

I was terrible during my first attempt; very slow and missed some of the gates, going the wrong way. (Even though I had walked the course twice before we started.) Our times were displayed. My first time was about 34 seconds. (The experienced people were running about 26 seconds). After a couple of times going myself an instructor got in beside me and I took a few tries but got no better. He asked if he could demonstrate with my car so we changed seats. He ran the course at 26 seconds. After that I was consistently at about 30 seconds.

In the afternoon I was more aggressive and first got to 29 and finally to 28 seconds on the last try. I have a lot of work and time to put in to get to where he was with the car and in one that he had never driven before. At least I know what the car is capable of and it is the driver that needs tuning.

But it was a blast.

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
I attended my first autocross (Solo) event at Darlington, SC. It was a "test and tune" day so we each multiple opportunities to run the course. 32 cars were there and we were divided into two groups one to man the course and a group to have an hour to run. After an hour we switched. The same scheme was carried out after lunch. I must have gotten in about 15 runs between morning and afternoon. All I can say is that now I know why I bought the GTI.

I was terrible during my first attempt; very slow and missed some of the gates, going the wrong way. (Even though I had walked the course twice before we started.) Our times were displayed. My first time was about 34 seconds. (The experienced people were running about 26 seconds). After a couple of times going myself an instructor got in beside me and I took a few tries but got no better. He asked if he could demonstrate with my car so we changed seats. He ran the course at 26 seconds. After that I was consistently at about 30 seconds.

In the afternoon I was more aggressive and first got to 29 and finally to 28 seconds on the last try. I have a lot of work and time to put in to get to where he was with the car and in one that he had never driven before. At least I know what the car is capable of and it is the driver that needs tuning.

But it was a blast.
I’m envious of being able to get out and race this early in the year. I tried my GTI at a couple of events last year and yikes I was slow. At my second event I got lost on the course and had to bail for the exit (that was not a good moment). A great guy from the Des Moines SCCA did a ride along and got me straightened out on the course. I should have swallowed my pride and did novice class from the start.

My plan for driver improvement is to attend Tire Rack Starting Line school in early May, run in a few events, then attend EVO School phase 1.

If you are curious about Starting Line or EVO here are links to some YouTube videos I’ve compiled.
- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuktrZUuxQrVHTcu_SuSPXe21Q1FvfZ8y

Jimdog

Passed Driver's Ed
I run with the iowa region SCCA. my first outing was slow also. this year i know what i need to work on though. I got 4 events in last year. Those last few seconds are tough to get. I'm running track tires this year. the indy 500s arent quite up to the task if you're going for those last few seconds.

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I’m envious of being able to get out and race this early in the year. I tried my GTI at a couple of events last year and yikes I was slow. At my second event I got lost on the course and had to bail for the exit (that was not a good moment). A great guy from the Des Moines SCCA did a ride along and got me straightened out on the course. I should have swallowed my pride and did novice class from the start.

My plan for driver improvement is to attend Tire Rack Starting Line school in early May, run in a few events, then attend EVO School phase 1.

If you are curious about Starting Line or EVO here are links to some YouTube videos I’ve compiled.
- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuktrZUuxQrVHTcu_SuSPXe21Q1FvfZ8y
I went into this knowing that I knew nothing about it and the guys at the event were great. Very welcoming to a newcomer. The best thing is to put our egos away and do the best we can. Thanks for the like to the Starting Line School. There is one in Atlanta and that is close enough that I might go do that.

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I run with the iowa region SCCA. my first outing was slow also. this year i know what i need to work on though. I got 4 events in last year. Those last few seconds are tough to get. I'm running track tires this year. the indy 500s arent quite up to the task if you're going for those last few seconds.
Thanks for that. I'm just at the starting point as you were earlier..
Our next date is March 28 and is closer to my home at Georgetown, SC. I plan to do that. I know that my tires aren't great but still like new at 23000 miles. They are the original Bridgestone. I plan to practice with them since I am so new at this, then go to better tires as my confidence increases.

aroundomaha

Ready to race!
Thanks for that. I'm just at the starting point as you were earlier..
Our next date is March 28 and is closer to my home at Georgetown, SC. I plan to do that. I know that my tires aren't great but still like new at 23000 miles. They are the original Bridgestone. I plan to practice with them since I am so new at this, then go to better tires as my confidence increases.
I ran on the stock Bridgestone RE97AS tires. My car was new and I burned through about half the tread in 4 events. I overdrove and was spinning the fronts like a mad man.

I stumbled on a set of used RE71Rs with my autocross wheels but would have picked up a cheap pair of Falken Azenis FK510s or something. In truth, I would rather not have had UTQG 200 tires this year and am thinking of selling them for the reason you outlined above.