GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No Haldex on the MK8?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Given my limited understanding of these systems... why would the Mk8 be worse on the front brakes than the Mk7?
It's heavier and more powerful, outside of the switch from the NC to ND Miata, I can't really think of another car update that hasn't seen the same thing. More power, more weight, larger brakes.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I wonder how long before MK8R owners complain of the front brakes wearing out quickly after spirited driving with the rear VAQ units set to "drift" or whatever rear biased mode it has....

Oh yes I get that part, more weight and/or power means more brakes required, which the Mk8 has.

I meant with regard to @golfdave's discussion of the drift mode on the Mk8. My interpretation of the quoted statement is that all else being equal (less powerful/lighter Mk7 with its brakes, and more powerful/heavier Mk8 with its larger brakes), drift mode will be the cause of increased brake wear.

Edit: Replaced it's with its 😬

Last edited:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Oh yes I get that part, more weight and/or power means more brakes required, which the Mk8 has.

I meant with regard to @golfdave's discussion of the drift mode on the Mk8. My interpretation of the quoted statement is that all else being equal (less powerful/lighter Mk7 with its brakes, and more powerful/heavier Mk8 with its larger brakes), drift mode will be the cause of increased brake wear.

I have yet to really read a favorable review of drift mode, but I would imagine the same argument could be made about the N'Ring mode. Like the Mk7, I would assume that until you install a mechanical LSD, the front brakes will be overused and we'll all have black front wheels.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Drift mode or any mode trying to give maximum torque to the rear axle.

Reason:-

The MK8 Golf is still a permanent front wheel drive car, which means the front axle is being driven faster or at the same speed as the rear axle. The only way to make the rear axle have more rotational speed & for it to appear to have more rear torque is to slow down the front axle...As the front axle cannot be disengaged you can only slow it down by using the front brakes via the various existing ABS based electronic systems eg XDS, ESC, ASR, ESP...

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm following that part, maybe I'm misinterpreting your previous statement... My understanding of "I wonder how long before MK8R owners complain of the front brakes wearing out quickly after spirited driving with the rear VAQ units set to "drift" or whatever rear biased mode it has..." is that you are saying that drift mode would be the reason the Mk8 would be worse on brakes than the Mk7.

But if the Mk7 R already sends a maximum of (50% of engine torque) to the rear, why would drift mode on the Mk8 R be any worse regarding brake wear?

I am not challenging that claim by the way, genuinely asking. I've fully embraced letting the computers do everything, haha. With the exception of one day (hopefully) picking up an Mk4 R32 it's unlikely I'll buy another non-EV after my Mk7 TDi. I (surprisingly) love our Model 3, haha.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm following that part, maybe I'm misinterpreting your previous statement... My understanding of "I wonder how long before MK8R owners complain of the front brakes wearing out quickly after spirited driving with the rear VAQ units set to "drift" or whatever rear biased mode it has..." is that you are saying that drift mode would be the reason the Mk8 would be worse on brakes than the Mk7.

But if the Mk7 R already sends a maximum of (50% of engine torque) to the rear, why would drift mode on the Mk8 R be any worse regarding brake wear?

I am not challenging that claim by the way, genuinely asking. I've fully embraced letting the computers do everything, haha. With the exception of one day (hopefully) picking up an Mk4 R32 it's unlikely I'll buy another non-EV after my Mk7 TDi. I (surprisingly) love our Model 3, haha.

Bold....Yes I am saying that.

The MK7 R has the Haldex on the cardan shaft & an open diff splitting the drive left/right on the rear axle & also on the front axle...so NO attempt at torque vectoring ....no "drift" mode... the brakes front & rear will be more balanced in their application via the ABS systems for XDS, ASR, ESC, ESP, etc...

By trying to get "drift" where the rear has to have more drive than the front then the front axle has to be slowed down...& as the front axle cannot be disengaged then the front brakes have to be applied to slow it down...

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Its still a VAQ clutch pack unit just there is one per side of the rear bevel box. & yes the central shaft in the VAQ unit is different as the drive is now straight through instead of having to do straight through & turn back on itself to go back to the open diff. You still have the same clutch pack mechanical design & way it opens & closes via the electronically controlled hydraulics.
Fair enough.
There are NO sensors in the VAQ/Haldex units..it has no way of knowing if the wheel is slipping or if there is torque loss. The clutch pack is told to open & close by the electronics. Regardless of this maybe I misdirected as I was referring back to the GTI-PP VAQ unit situation where it feeds back into the open diff, which is not applicable in the MK8 R rear case.
Everything I wrote was from a effective, or end result, standpoint. It doesn't matter where the sensors or controller are located, or what the unit itself "knows" or "doesn't know." The effect is the same. Certain conditions, which are derived from multiple sensor's input, result in the VAQ being told to apply a certain amount of clamping force on the clutch discs. This makes it a somewhat reactive system, because sometimes the sensors input isn't enough information to preemptively close the clutch prior to slip. What I said wasn't inaccurate from an effective standpoint.

I consider torque vectoring as was claimed for electric cars, mainly on those with two or more motors. One car a UK built prototype had an electric motor in each wheel hub, providing 100% torque vectoring as each motor could be independently controlled & provide from 0% to 100% of its power to said wheel. There are cars with a motor for each axle (two motor electric cars), this still providing torque vectoring as each axle can be controlled independently, & then having either an LSD or Haldex VAQ unit on each axle gives control over the left/right torque split on that axle.

This MK8 system does NOT have independent control over each axle, nor does it have independent control over the left/right split on one axle (front) , & the rear axle cannot rotate at a faster speed or with more torque than the front axle....The front brakes will be used like mad to provide a small amount of rear bias by slowing the front axle down..
I see. I would consider that a constrained definition of Torque Vectoring. Mechanical torque vectoring has existed before such EV systems since the early to mid 2000s with Mitsubishi's AYC and Honda/Acura's SH-AWD which both used torque vectoring rear differentials. Those differentials we're more sophisticated than the Golf R, but still existed to vary torque side-to-side regardless of traction.

That's mostly how I understand mk8 Golf R too, but I don't really understand why you keep saying the front brakes need to be used to cause rear bias. The rear wheels can have more torque going to them if the fronts have less traction than the rears, assuming the clutches have enough clamping force applied. Again... Theoretically. There may be a software limitation here, but I'm about to cover that in the next section.
The front axle is driven with 50% torque all the time. The cardan shaft from the front to the bevel box is also driven at 50% torque all the time. This due the simple open diff & transfer case set up.

If one wheel at the front is on ice & the other is in the air, then the existing open diff on the front axle will just spin the wheels & the car relies on the ABS based systems to balance the wheel speeds so they match.....& the front axle will appear to be "locked"...& you have smoking brakes...
In this situation no more than 50% torque is given to the rear axle, & the clutches will be told to activate & those the rear wheels will rotate & the ECU will open/close the rear VAQ clutchs & brake the front wheels until ALL the wheels (front/rear left/right) rotational speeds match
Either I am misunderstanding how the transfer case works, or this is inaccurate. As I understand it, the transfer case is driven directly from the ring gear of the front differential. This means there isn't another differential, or a center diff, in the transfer case; it is direct drive. Therefore, if the front wheels are up in the air, with zero traction, the rear wheels will receive 100% of the torque, assuming the clutches are engaged with enough clamping force to transfer all the torque. This is true whether we're talking about the single clutch haldex or the new twin clutch system.

The system doesn't need to apply the front brakes to transfer torque rearward. There isn't an open center diff. Now, because this is all tied in with the ESC/ABS system, the front brakes may be applied as a safety measure and because safety systems take priority, but it isn't required for torque transfer in a no traction scenario on the front.

Let's think about locked differentials. With a locked diff, a single wheel cannot spin unless both are spinning, because, even if one wheel has less traction, that torque is automatically balanced between the two wheels until the limit of both wheel's traction is found. The same thing applies to the AWD system between axles.

The rear clutches cannot receive more than 50% of the engine torque due to the front transfer box, one clutch can still receive all of this 50%...there is no "slippage" for the factory power rating..& even if there was the ABS sensor which sensors wheel speed imbalance will deactivate the clutch or it might brake that wheel..whichever it decides is better...
The clutch is slipping, the wheel isn't. I assume the ABS/ECS system is smart enough to take into account steering angle and know that the wheel speed difference between the inside and outside wheels is not due to slipping, but turning. Either way, if the system disengaged the inside clutch that would mean all the rearward torque is going to the outside wheel. As I talked about earlier, that creates yaw or rotation, even if it's only 50% of the torque.

You really have no idea about the electronic controls behind the VAQ/Haldex units.

I strongly suggest you read my post on the VAQ units as this is the basis for these clutch packs...especially part 4 which is on the electronics..
I have read it; several times in fact.

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
It's heavier and more powerful, outside of the switch from the NC to ND Miata, I can't really think of another car update that hasn't seen the same thing. More power, more weight, larger brakes.
The mk8 clubsport gti and R use a version of the calipers found on the atlas. I think vw switched to these brakes because they clear oem vw 18 inch wheels and are significantly larger than mk7r/pp brakes. They will probably be a great upgrade for those of us that don't want caliper clearance issues. Any oem 18inch wheel with these horrible specs 18x7.5-8 et49/51 would work. The us spec s3 also uses these brakes. If these calipers with 335mm rotors are fine for a 4300-4700lb atlas they will also probably be fine for a hot hatchback.
1641413156911.png

1641413178487.png

1641413197602.png

1641413208686.png

Last edited:

Mr. Conundrum

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
Bold....Yes I am saying that.

The MK7 R has the Haldex on the cardan shaft & an open diff splitting the drive left/right on the rear axle & also on the front axle...so NO attempt at torque vectoring ....no "drift" mode... the brakes front & rear will be more balanced in their application via the ABS systems for XDS, ASR, ESC, ESP, etc...

By trying to get "drift" where the rear has to have more drive than the front then the front axle has to be slowed down...& as the front axle cannot be disengaged then the front brakes have to be applied to slow it down...
I don't see how that would work. If you slow down the front axle, then the rear slows down with it and the front gets more torque because of the resistance of the brakes. You're not getting more torque to the rear than the front unless the front has less traction than the rear.

Drift mode sends all the rearward torque to the outside rear, wheel using the clutches. It determines the outside wheel using the steering angle. That creates yaw. (See row boat analogy in earlier post). There may be a brief application of the brake on the front, inside wheel just to get the slide started. Because it can't bias more then 50% torque to the rear, it can't hold the drift. So it's more of a "yaw moment".

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't see how that would work. If you slow down the front axle, then either the rear slows down with it or the clutch slips to allow the speed imbalance. Either way, you're not getting more torque to the rear than the front unless the front has less traction than the rear.

Drift mode sends all the rearward torque to the outside rear, wheel using the clutches. It determines the outside wheel using the steering angle. That creates yaw. (See row boat analogy in earlier post). There may be a brief application of the brake on the front, inside wheel just to get the slide started. Because it can't bias torque to the rear, it can't hold the drift. So it's more of a "yaw moment".
Watch the last 5 minutes or so of this for a great example.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Gotcha, I didn't realize the Mk8 drift mode had slowing the front axle (to a lower speed than the rear(s)) as a goal. I figured it would just overdrive the outside rear wheel to get you sliding, then power them both (as the computer sees fit). Not a true drift in the traditional sense maybe, but a drift effectively given a FWD based vehicle.

I'm not sure on the semantics of what is/is not torque vectoring. If torque can be distributed to one side of a given axle, regardless of how that's accomplished (clutches on the Mk8, in wheel motors, twin motor unit (rear of Model S Plaid, front of the NSX, etc.) I would consider that torque vectoring 🤷‍♂️. Certainly some solutions are better/more capable, but aren't they all torque vectoring?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Either I am misunderstanding how the transfer case works, or this is inaccurate. As I understand it, the transfer case is driven directly from the ring gear of the front differential. This means there isn't another differential, or a center diff, in the transfer case; it is direct drive. Therefore, if the front wheels are up in the air, with zero traction, the rear wheels will receive 100% of the torque,
EDIT for clarity:-

Yes, but...If the fronts have grip as per a dry track its likely a 50/50 split front/rear..as it always has been previously...which is the situation for driving "drift mode" around a dry track say...

2022 VW Golf R Differential Review First Ice Drive (jalopnik.com)
In VW’s setup, that means you can send up to 50 percent of engine power to the rear axle and, depending on what you’re trying to do, you can send some, or even all of that power to either one of the rear wheels.

More info on the dependency on the electronics..:-
New 4Motion® system with torque vectoring brings a new edge to the all-new 2022 Volkswagen Golf R | Automotive World

For the first time, the 4Motion system has been connected to the Vehicle Dynamics Manager, an intelligent system that in the Golf R integrates the torque vectoring axle, the electronic differential locks (XDS®) and cornering performance of the DCC® adaptive damping system. The Vehicle Dynamics Manager monitors the vehicle handling on every corner, adapting individual wheel damping up to 200 times a second, and can use a combination of selected single-wheel braking or the torque vectoring clutches to correct moments of oversteer or understeer.

The torque vectoring technology was the key enabler of the new track-only “Drift” mode in the updated Driving Mode Selection. In that mode, the Golf R changes its stability control parameters (to ESC Sport), and the torque vectoring system kicks off the drift by sending all available rear torque to the outside wheel.

Basically it will send upto all of the rear torque to the outside wheel & slacken of the existing ESP & use the outside wheel to drive the car around/out in drift mode....

You still have the problem that "drifting" is best done primarily in RWD cars...the Golf is still a permanent FWD car with a max 50/50 AWD front/rear split in grippy conditions...so the outside rears will have to do the leg work & I still reckon that the fronts will have to be braked as on a grippy dry track with people in "drift" mode, how else do you get the front to tuck in, when it will either slide out, or even with the rear outside at 50% drive the car will just go sideways??...still got to slow down the front inside using XDS+.

Last edited:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I still reckon...
Aha! That's where you'd be wrong. If you have four wheels, two are given equal power (ie 25% each) and a third wheel is given 50%, while the fourth receives nothing, can you see how this achieves a temporary drift? All videos of Drift mode show that it's not a long term solution, it just allows quicker rotation at low speeds and a little tail wag at speed, it's certainly not laying down oversteer drifts through roundabouts or anything drastic. But I do suspect that it will be more effective than the Focus RS which could overdrive the rear slightly, but couldn't torque vector. The wild card in the Shitbox Challenge remains the Yaris/Corolla GR which can send 70% to the rear and apparently has some form of torque vectoring too, but I'm not clear on how it achieves that.

Dammit, there's a perfect Tom Baker gif, but I can't get it to load, this will have to suffice.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Aha! That's where you'd be wrong. If you have four wheels, two are given equal power (ie 25% each) and a third wheel is given 50%, while the fourth receives nothing, can you see how this achieves a temporary drift? All videos of Drift mode show that it's not a long term solution, it just allows quicker rotation at low speeds and a little tail wag at speed, it's certainly not laying down oversteer drifts through roundabouts or anything drastic. But I do suspect that it will be more effective than the Focus RS which could overdrive the rear slightly, but couldn't torque vector. The wild card in the Shitbox Challenge remains the Yaris/Corolla GR which can send 70% to the rear and apparently has some form of torque vectoring too, but I'm not clear on how it achieves that.

VW info on the MK7 AWD systems..
4MOTION® at Work – Newsroom (vw.com)

In the Volkswagen Golf R, for instance, 4MOTION combines with the XDS® cross-differential lock for both axles. During cornering on the track, the technology can apply braking pressure as needed to the inside wheels, slowing them down to help you steer the car more confidently around the curves. It’s a feature found on some of today’s most sophisticated sports cars. On the Golf R, performance enhancers include a 292-horsepower turbocharged engine, adaptive dampers and the XDS+ electronic brakeforce distribution system. The benefit of the latter, says a Product Manager: “The electronic differential locks are instrumental in carrying speed through corners, as they respond to the weight transfer of the car by transferring torque from the inside wheels, which are more lightly loaded at the time, to those on the outside.”

So going back to a dry track with the MK8 set to "drift mode".......The outside wheels (front & rear) will get the most torque..say upto 50% each of engine power ...the only way to get the car to turn in more to "kick" the rear out is to use the XDS+ to brake the inside front wheel....as has been mentioned in info that I linked to previously on the MK8..