GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No coil ground wires ???

irh007

Car(s)
mk7 Golf GTI
Hey guys I'm a newbie here

I just bought a mk7 GTI to use as my daily driver,

I was watching a YouTube video on how to replace spark plugs and when I checked my engine bay I notice that I did not have any coil ground wires?

Is this a US model GTI thing only or am I missing something, I've attached some pictures for you guys to see

Thanks!

Attachments

• c8a64c86-fbc8-4be8-ad65-76fb993fd28e.jpg
    c8a64c86-fbc8-4be8-ad65-76fb993fd28e.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 403
  • efdb9434-14fc-4f1c-b4b2-f05f2e8792d1.jpg
    efdb9434-14fc-4f1c-b4b2-f05f2e8792d1.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 212

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Interesting. I just changed my spark plugs to RS7 types (one level colder) this weekend. I definitely have coil ground wires. Mine is a model year 2020 SE GTI made in Mexico in Aug 2020, imported for the US market. What's the info on your car? You can usually find this info on the lower part of the body frame, where it meets the driver side door.

RTFM

Ready to race!
People have misfires when their ground wires are loose. How is this even running without them?

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Any obvious signs of them being cut?

irh007

Car(s)
mk7 Golf GTI
Interesting. I just changed my spark plugs to RS7 types (one level colder) this weekend. I definitely have coil ground wires. Mine is a model year 2020 SE GTI made in Mexico in Aug 2020, imported for the US market. What's the info on your car? You can usually find this info on the lower part of the body frame, where it meets the driver side door.
Hey, mine is a 2015 model made on 03/14 in Germany

irh007

Car(s)
mk7 Golf GTI
Any obvious signs of them being cut?
No sign of them ever being there in the first place as I've posted in my pictures above, I would really appreciate it if someone could actually show me where they're connected to, is it the wiring loom or somewhere else, as I cannot find anything online about it.

Thanks!

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Quote from erWin: "If equipped remove the ground cable ..."

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Early build ROW MK7’s seem like beta cars for later builds lol

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
2018 NA car, def have them. Seems like an early build, and clearly not showing from the harness. Reminds me of my 8P A3 in a lot of ways. Just replace em and run it. Don't worry about it!

irh007

Car(s)
mk7 Golf GTI
2018 NA car, def have them. Seems like an early build, and clearly not showing from the harness. Reminds me of my 8P A3 in a lot of ways. Just replace em and run it. Don't worry about it!

A member sent me a picture of his engine in close up, I noticed I have a Green/Brown wire that is there instead of the black one, so I'm guessing its a different type of ground wire or ROW spec thing.

Thanks!