GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No Airbags, no ACC, no steering wheel electronics - 2016 VW MK7 GTI Autobahn + ACC/FA

fazed

Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Hey all, I was prepping for a road trip, went through a car wash, same old. Vacuum cleaned the car. Stopped next door at an O’Reilly’s to check the fluids, whoa what the hell?

before.jpg

Clean it all out, fluids all looked good, head 2 miles back home.

after.jpg

As I’m turning into my culdesac, I get a crunchy sound and feedback in the steering wheel. Airbag & Adaptive Cruise Control lights come on.

Park/kill. Try to start, the car won’t turnover. Got a jump from the neighbor. Start googling around ACC&Airbag lights, people suggest I probably won’t have electronics on the wheel buttons, confirmed. :(

Went to autozone, test showed low voltage and tire pressure.
U140000 Function Restriction-Due To Insufficient Voltage
C102D00 Tire Pressure Warning
The battery and alternator tested fine, but I grabbed a replacement battery and put the new one in.
newbattery.jpg

Drove 15 miles, still those lights have not cleared, still no electronics or horn on the steering wheel. New codes are:
B116816 Steering Angle Sensor-Voltage Too Low
C114602 Tire Pressure Monitoring Display-Signal Error

As far as I could tell, while replacing the battery, there was no indication of any additional damage other than this shown below to the ECM.
ecm.jpg

I’m not mechanically inclined, but symptoms on the internet point me towards the clockspring (see

Looking for advice. Thanks

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hey all, I was prepping for a road trip, went through a car wash, same old. Vacuum cleaned the car. Stopped next door at an O’Reilly’s to check the fluids, whoa what the hell?

View attachment 223394

Clean it all out, fluids all looked good, head 2 miles back home.

View attachment 223395

As I’m turning into my culdesac, I get a crunchy sound and feedback in the steering wheel. Airbag & Adaptive Cruise Control lights come on.

Park/kill. Try to start, the car won’t turnover. Got a jump from the neighbor. Start googling around ACC&Airbag lights, people suggest I probably won’t have electronics on the wheel buttons, confirmed. :(

Went to autozone, test showed low voltage and tire pressure.
The battery and alternator tested fine, but I grabbed a replacement battery and put the new one in.
View attachment 223396

Drove 15 miles, still those lights have not cleared, still no electronics or horn on the steering wheel. New codes are:
B116816 Steering Angle Sensor-Voltage Too Low
C114602 Tire Pressure Monitoring Display-Signal Error

As far as I could tell, while replacing the battery, there was no indication of any additional damage other than this shown below to the ECM.
View attachment 223397

I’m not mechanically inclined, but symptoms on the internet point me towards the clockspring (see

Looking for advice. Thanks
Welcome to the forum.

I would have an automotive electrician check it out before you start spending money on parts that may or may not fix it. The critters could have chewed through a wire somewhere.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
With the sort of home that was built there a thorough visual inspection is the minimum I would do. Pull the battery and the battery tray, that will let you get eyes on a good size harness that runs to the firewall.

The crunchy sound and non-working horn do suggest clock spring. Those TPMS faults will often clear with a short drive (or turning the wheel lock-to-lock) but a failed clock spring would prevent that. I would still do the visual though.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
That looks like a partially exposed metal pin on the top ECU connector...& you shouldn't have driven the car with a big hole in the battery...no wonder there is acid burn down the ECU case!

fazed

Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
Update on this. Replaced the battery, replaced the ECU cable connectors. Clockspring did fail and that was the majority of my problems. Still have an ACC/Cruise Control failure light though. :(

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Update on this. Replaced the battery, replaced the ECU cable connectors. Clockspring did fail and that was the majority of my problems. Still have an ACC/Cruise Control failure light though. :(

It needs to recalibrate maybe??

Basically double check very closely that the unit is fully in the ball sockets for the legs..I thought mine was & it wasn't..then using VCDS:-

So again using VCDS:-
you enter the module [13-Auto Dist. Reg],
then go into [Basic Settings],
& from the drop down menu select:- IDE02163-ENG114972-Reset misalignment angle

Then go on a 20 to 30mile drive with traffic, preferably with long straights at various speeds, following cars in front & with the ACC switched on showing the warning light. This will go out after it has re-learnt the "fine tune".

I did a huge thread here when I had problems with my ACC unit which happened to occur at the same time as I fitted a "mod"..
2014/15 MK7 Golf, MQB, ACC system faults | Ross-Tech Forums