GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NJ Motorsports Park

razorbilo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2017 X1
Has anyone ever raced at thunderbolt and lightning? I want to take my car there this spring before i have to move again this summer.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Hey! I've raced there a few times. It's a great track and a ton of fun in a GTI! Thunderbolt is more technical with one long straight and Lightning is a faster track with a long sweeping banked turn. Look for the Skip Barber racing school days. It's ~$200 (plus $20 helmet rental if needed) and you'll get some classroom time and four or five 20 minutes sessions out on the track.

Let me know if you decide to go and I can try to go that day as well, if my schedule allows.

Attachments

• 20190926_160804.jpg
    20190926_160804.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:

razorbilo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2017 X1
Hey! I've raced there a few times. It's a great track and a ton of fun in a GTI! Thunderbolt is more technical with one long straight and Lightning is a faster track with a long sweeping banked turn. Look for the Skip Barber racing school days. It's ~$200 (plus $20 helmet rental if needed) and you'll get some classroom time and four or five 20 minutes sessions out on the track.

Let me know if you decide to go and I can try to go that day as well, if my schedule allows.
hell yea. a buddy of mine at work has raced his M3 there a few times and was telling me about it.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
hell yea. a buddy of mine at work has raced his M3 there a few times and was telling me about it.

Nice! Do you have any circuit track experience? It's a blast and can be a very educational and even a humbling experience for a lot of new racers. The cool part with the Skip Barber days is that they break everyone into different groups based on experience. So you'll have all beginners on track at the same time, all intermediate at once, and then all advanced together. That way the track isn't too crowded and no one is getting held up (or feeling pushed).

When are you moving? Spring time would be the best time to go.

Last edited:

mbzhp

Has anyone ever raced at thunderbolt and lightning? I want to take my car there this spring before i have to move again this summer.

Yes, many times, but never in my VW. Had an R53 Cooper S on both tracks as well as a 135is, all in varying levels of modification.

Two fun tracks for learning how to control your car, how to be smooth, and for understanding momentum.

Also done some Skip Barber schools (car control, race), and can echo what was said above -- awesome experience. The organization I'm most used to is BMW CCA -- they put on well-run, safe track events focused on learning. Same with the Porsche Club (PCA).

One more note -- none of these beginner experiences on the track are "racing" in any way, shape, or form. Even in the Skip Barber introductory 1 day "race" school, there is no wheel-to-wheel competition. Getting into amateur racing is a different ordeal/process, though it certainly starts with High Performance Driver Education for many folks.

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
One more note -- none of these beginner experiences on the track are "racing" in any way, shape, or form. Even in the Skip Barber introductory 1 day "race" school, there is no wheel-to-wheel competition. Getting into amateur racing is a different ordeal/process, though it certainly starts with High Performance Driver Education for many folks.

Good point. There is no passing allowed, even when running in the advanced class. I've yet to do any PCA or other club days, but I've heard nothing but great things.

razorbilo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2017 X1
Nice! Do you have any circuit track experience? It's a blast and can be a very educational and even a humbling experience for a lot of new racers. The cool part with the Skip Barber days is that they break everyone into different groups based on experience. So you'll have all beginners on track at the same time, all intermediate at once, and then all advanced together. That way the track isn't too crowded and no one is getting held up (or feeling pushed).

When are you moving? Spring time would be the best time to go.

I raced a few times over 10 years ago so you could say i am a bit rusty lol. I am moving this summer. the AF hasn't told where to yet though. I plan on going in the spring. I will prob start with the beginner class. My buddy said after 2 runs they moved him to intermediate so we will see. I want to get the car out there a few times. Hopefully there are some good tracks wherever i end up next.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
<3 NJMP

I've been on both t-bolt and l-bolt over 20 times each, mostly on a motorcycle, but this past year took my GTI there. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure I remember VL3X being at my last one at t-bolt with skip barber.

The dudes that run the Skip Barber days are fantastic and are there to help you out as much as they can. Skip Barber's set up is paced laps, so if you sign up with them make sure you get yourself into the group you will be happy in because there is no passing in any of the classes.

Thunderbolt is my personal favorite of the two because the second half of the track is technical and rewarding. Lightning is still awesome though, it's a super flowing track that just flows and flows.

Can't go wrong with either one and we'll probably run into each other next season if you end up going ^__^

VL3X

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
<3 NJMP
I've been on both t-bolt and l-bolt over 20 times each, mostly on a motorcycle, but this past year took my GTI there. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure I remember VL3X being at my last one at t-bolt with skip barber.

Hey man! You had the Volks right? We had an entire crew of white MK7s that day! :LOL:

razorbilo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2017 X1
I definitely plan on it. Once they announce the 2020 dates we can all try to get there one day.

mbzhp

Good point. There is no passing allowed, even when running in the advanced class. I've yet to do any PCA or other club days, but I've heard nothing but great things.

All of the outfits I've used have allowed point-by passes, but I haven't been out in a few years, so things may have changed.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I have been eyeing that track since I moved here... I would like to go... Is the track bumpy? How rough would it be on our cars?

My last chance to induce problems before my warranty is up....

Seems all the Skip Barber events in NJMP dont start until May? Can you actually take your own car? But I cant find any event like the one suggested above, they seem to be packages with a car rental... im I seeing this right? https://www.skipbarber.com/race_tracks/nj-motorsports-park/

Is the only other way to race your own car in the NJMP is to become part of the Drivers club? Which seems to be several thousand dollars a year? https://www.njmp.com/drivers-club-member-info/

Last edited:

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
A group of us want to do a track day and this is one of the locations we've discussed. I've never been on a track yet.

razorbilo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI, 2017 X1
I'm still down. I do want to know if i need to convert the wheels to studs or will i be fine with the lug bolts. I wanna hit it up before I get stationed in NM in June.