GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NITROUS

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Does anyone have experience with nitrous with the GTI? I'm at a point where if I want more power my choices are an even bigger turbo or MPI. Ethanol isn't an option for me because I don't have a source close enough to me considering I have to fill up everyday. A bigger turbo also isn't an option in the "short term" because I just recently got the TPC20 turbo. I don't see MPI as an option because of the cost when I consider the price of the injectors a LPFP and controller and a new custom tune and that increase would be negligible without a bigger turbo also. I'm looking for a boost when I know I need it it, as in racing a car that I know I'll lose to, and nitrous seems like the least expensive option to get that extra boost at a reasonable cost and not affect my daily driving which is 200 miles per day. Thanks in advance for your responses.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

Jim, amateurs don't use nitrous oxide. I've seen the way you drive, you got a heavy foot, you'll blow yourself to pieces.

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
It doesn’t seem that common on this platform, but these guys seem to be pushing it hard!
It’s big turbo/and the typical stuff we see mpi/etc. but you can also see it’s running what seems to be a 2 stage nitrous direct port system With a stand alone fuel system for the nitrous, what’s odd it’s you can Also see it’s running direct port WMI or maybe pure meth... which seems odd since the nitrous should more that suffice.
http://instagr.am/p/CFs86Q_j9Vm/
I used to spray my 4th gen trans am with a 175 wet shot of nitrous and the never blew up from it lol. Made it to 160k

I would email Sneeky as he has experience with both that turbo and nitrous set ups on mk7s.

Last edited:

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Sneeky as he has experience with both that turbo and nitrous set ups
You mean the tpc20 car that kept claiming being is20 on spray....I never believed that and still don’t.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Does anyone have experience with nitrous with the GTI? I'm at a point where if I want more power my choices are an even bigger turbo or MPI. Ethanol isn't an option for me because I don't have a source close enough to me considering I have to fill up everyday. A bigger turbo also isn't an option in the "short term" because I just recently got the TPC20 turbo. I don't see MPI as an option because of the cost when I consider the price of the injectors a LPFP and controller and a new custom tune and that increase would be negligible without a bigger turbo also. I'm looking for a boost when I know I need it it, as in racing a car that I know I'll lose to, and nitrous seems like the least expensive option to get that extra boost at a reasonable cost and not affect my daily driving which is 200 miles per day. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Meth?

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
What is this the 80s?

In all seriousness though, I think it will be more expensive in the long run considering this is an uncommon modification on these cars. Additionally I don’t think spray is good on a daily driven street car because that stuff is expensive and it doesn’t last long.

Personally I think you’re better off going MPI and ordering a drum of Ethanol.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
What is this the 80s?

In all seriousness though, I think it will be more expensive in the long run considering this is an uncommon modification on these cars. Additionally I don’t think spray is good on a daily driven street car because that stuff is expensive and it doesn’t last long.

Exactly this! You'll end up paying way more for the nitrous setup than you would for the MPI.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Exactly this! You'll end up paying way more for the nitrous setup than you would for the MPI.

I haven't looked into the cost of a nitrous setup but really would it cost more than MPI, a LPFP and controller and a new remote dyno tune. Those things would be over $3000.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
If you need to fill up every day thats a lot of mileage for a car to run nitrous. The thing about nitrous is you always need it be on a bottle heater so its ready to go whenever you mash it. From what ive seen its a lot of work. Gains are great, of course. I have no GTI/N20 experience just GM stuff in that regard. Some cobalt ss folks were running it though and cinsidering they use the same injectors have similar (k04) turbos (think mk6) etc, you might be able to find some good info looking on the cobaltss platform, specifically the LNF engine on nirtous.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
What is this the 80s?

Can't afford the MPG hit using ethanol with the miles I drive.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
That's a hard no from me. Sounds easy and neat on paper....but it gets expensive fast for a good setup. I would only really consider it for a dedicated drag car or something like that.

I heavily lean towards MPI, it's such a good option since the stock ECU can control it.

I'm not super close to ethanol either, I end up buying it in bulk and mixing it myself to E30. But since I've done that I haven't looked back..such a big difference vs 91 octane.

How far away is E85?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you need to fill up every day thats a lot of mileage for a car to run nitrous. The thing about nitrous is you always need it be on a bottle heater so its ready to go whenever you mash it. From what ive seen its a lot of work. Gains are great, of course. I have no GTI/N20 experience just GM stuff in that regard. Some cobalt ss folks were running it though and cinsidering they use the same injectors have similar (k04) turbos (think mk6) etc, you might be able to find some good info looking on the cobaltss platform, specifically the LNF engine on nirtous.

I wasn't intending to use the nitrous very often. Just when I suspect I'm outmatched but if it requires a bottle heater to be ready to be used at all times it wouldn't be practical then.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Atleast, thats my understanding. The bottles arent just ready at all times to be used. Hence most people that do use it are for dedicate track cars that are always being prepped

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I guess it's just not practical. Thanks for the replies.
You should probably not use the advice of people who have zero first hand knowledge with nitrous...

In our environments you don’t NEED a bottle heater, especially on a setup that’s not spraying a Huge shot, and also a bottle heater is not some difficult complicated thing to have. https://www.nitrousexpress.com/10-15lb-heavy-duty-fully-automatic-bottle-heater-4an-14amps-15940.asp

Also, just cause it’s on a daily doesn’t mean you will run through it like crazy- haha. I guess everyone just assumes it’s like meth and turns on and off at a set boost pressure all the time. You will use it up based on how often you use it, on my trans am I had it setup with a toggle switch in the center console for arming the system then a WOT switch at the throttle body so when I armed it, it would then spray only when I turned the switch ON and was at WOT (before I was racing someone or just wanted to spray).

But I would still agree with others and not suggest it for you, nitrous caries and good risk factor that even more than meth needs to be consistently monitored of its operations parameters, also the fact that you are already optimally tuned for you turbo and set up to make the big nitrous gains I don’t think the mechanical addition of nitrous would be enough without some why of tuning or boost controlling to turn up the requests when the car is spraying.

Where in Phoenix are you? When I was in Scottsdale last month for work specifically paradise Vally I found a couple pumps within 10 min of me and they were putting out some potent ethanol that was testing at 85-90% out the pump.