GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NITROUS

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
It doesn’t seem that common on this platform, but these guys seem to be pushing it hard!
It’s big turbo/and the typical stuff we see mpi/etc. but you can also see it’s running what seems to be a 2 stage nitrous direct port system With a stand alone fuel system for the nitrous, what’s odd it’s you can Also see it’s running direct port WMI or maybe pure meth... which seems odd since the nitrous should more that suffice.
http://instagr.am/p/CFs86Q_j9Vm/
I used to spray my 4th gen trans am with a 175 wet shot of nitrous and the never blew up from it lol. Made it to 160k

I would email Sneeky as he has experience with both that turbo and nitrous set ups on mk7s.
Those guys made over 700 whp on that nitrous setup with a dbv2 turbo. They're probably pushing this platform more than anyone to date

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
You can get a brushless LPFP with controller and an MPI kit for just under $1800, add another $400 if you want the HPFP upgrade also. If you want to turn up the boost up past 30psi, then you'll need a 4/5bar sensor kit for ~$330. So you're at $1800-$2500 in hardware for an MPI setup, then you just need a tune update. Even after the tune cost, you can get a reliable MPI setup that can supply more fuel than that TPC20 can use for $3k.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You should probably not use the advice of people who have zero first hand knowledge with nitrous...

In our environments you don’t NEED a bottle heater, especially on a setup that’s not spraying a Huge shot, and also a bottle heater is not some difficult complicated thing to have. https://www.nitrousexpress.com/10-15lb-heavy-duty-fully-automatic-bottle-heater-4an-14amps-15940.asp

Also, just cause it’s on a daily doesn’t mean you will run through it like crazy- haha. I guess everyone just assumes it’s like meth and turns on and off at a set boost pressure all the time. You will use it up based on how often you use it, on my trans am I had it setup with a toggle switch in the center console for arming the system then a WOT switch at the throttle body so when I armed it, it would then spray only when I turned the switch ON and was at WOT (before I was racing someone or just wanted to spray).

But I would still agree with others and not suggest it for you, nitrous caries and good risk factor that even more than meth needs to be consistently monitored of its operations parameters, also the fact that you are already optimally tuned for you turbo and set up to make the big nitrous gains I don’t think the mechanical addition of nitrous would be enough without some why of tuning or boost controlling to turn up the requests when the car is spraying.

Where in Phoenix are you? When I was in Scottsdale last month for work specifically paradise Vally I found a couple pumps within 10 min of me and they were putting out some potent ethanol that was testing at 85-90% out the pump.

Thanks for the info. The closest E station to me is about 25 minutes away. I pick up my deliveries at a pharmacy 5 minutes from my house so I just fill up everyday right before I start. It's the MPG hit that would prevent me from using E.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You can get a brushless LPFP with controller and an MPI kit for just under $1800, add another $400 if you want the HPFP upgrade also. If you want to turn up the boost up past 30psi, then you'll need a 4/5bar sensor kit for ~$330. So you're at $1800-$2500 in hardware for an MPI setup, then you just need a tune update. Even after the tune cost, you can get a reliable MPI setup that can supply more fuel than that TPC20 can use for $3k.

Thanks.
The tune update would be costly because I would do a remote dyno tune with EQT and it's $150 per hour for the dyno with a 2 hour minimum. Plus the labor because I can't install it. So I'm guessing about 4K total. I haven't ruled it out but it would be a while.
Spent too much this year on it.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^thats kind of the thing too. You need a tune that senses when the car is spraying as well as when it is not spraying so that it is never expecting the wrong thing. Not sure if our cars allow for such tuning parameters usually you run a motec or something instead of the oem ECU

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I have a 10lb NOS bottle collecting dust from many years ago... Been giving serious consideration to a small shot in 4th gear on the street and 3&4 on the strip.

Would run a window switch from 5000-7400rpm...I don't want more torque so need to limit the spray to higher RPM. Would be looking for an honest 625whp on a baby shot, but I am concerned about heat. That's what killed my stock motor and I'm not ready to build a 3rd one lol.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
I wasn't intending to use the nitrous very often. Just when I suspect I'm outmatched but if it requires a bottle heater to be ready to be used at all times it wouldn't be practical then.

I'd do this with you. Been wondering the same myself. Not wanting to go E, planning to stick with 93 but that limits me quite a bit. The only area I can think of (without E or WMI) would be a small shot. Was thinking a 50 at WOT down low as a nudge. With the DSG tune and DBV2 V1 I stay in boost when rolling but without launch control (don't want to fiddle with that nonsense either) I take off like a Fiesta.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
How much power gain is there with an MPI setup and new tune? A side benefit that would save some money is far less often carbon cleaning.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'd do this with you. Been wondering the same myself. Not wanting to go E, planning to stick with 93 but that limits me quite a bit. The only area I can think of (without E or WMI) would be a small shot. Was thinking a 50 at WOT down low as a nudge. With the DSG tune and DBV2 V1 I stay in boost when rolling but without launch control (don't want to fiddle with that nonsense either) I take off like a Fiesta.

For me I would want it in the higher RPM 's. Already have traction issues down low.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
^thats kind of the thing too. You need a tune that senses when the car is spraying as well as when it is not spraying so that it is never expecting the wrong thing. Not sure if our cars allow for such tuning parameters usually you run a motec or something instead of the oem ECU

Now I'm confused.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
How much power gain is there with an MPI setup and new tune? A side benefit that would save some money is far less often carbon cleaning.
Would you be running E85 with MPI?

If so, it's night and day. Will feel like a different car.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R

I’m running MPI & LPFP with a conservative goal of 450/430 on the stock block. Hitting the AWD mustang dyno after VIR in 3 weeks. Totally doable with plenty of fueling left over if I went E but that’s my blocker. I’d rather stick with 93 and explore other options than build around E simply because it’s drying up around me (40 mins away) and I’d be a few extra $K on UM for flex. Couldn’t manage blends cause kids, work, distractions. I’d absolutely screw that up.

Im nearly at the limit on pump but above 3,500 RPM she’s plenty quick. I know these 245s could handle more below that.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
No just the MPI.

could be mistaken but I don’t think you can run MPI without LPFP upgrade to support it. EU gets away with it because of the tiny 90 or 115cc injectors.