GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nine81's Silver Wiener Build

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
No updates for a while, so here we go. I got a heckin' deal on a Baun Performance downpipe, and I can't sing the praises enough. Getting the factory downpipe out was definitely an unpleasant affair, there was a lot of arguing with it to get it about 60% of the way out and then it started being awful. The reality seems to be that the downpipe will rotate nearly 360 degrees when tryng to come out, With the factory downpipe out of the way, I got a new fancy resonator section from @GTI Jake and I'm expecting to have it installed before the weekend.
PXL_20230930_142900762.MP.jpg
PXL_20231003_193537249.jpg

Things we learned for posterity along the way: Regardless of what your o2 sensor socket looks like, an impact is a bad idea. It was being inconvenient so the impact made relatively quick work of it, buuuut also exploded the connector into a billion bits. So a new o2 sensor later, new one step colder plugs, and we're prepared. Oh, except that fucking nobody sells copper anti-seize locally. I don't get it. Thankfully a mechanic friend had some I'm able to borrow, so that's been the general hangup. Once the o2 sensor is in, everything will go back together and then it's just waiting on the tune. My understanding is though, that since the downpipe is EPA catted, I should be fine without a specific tune. Currently I'm on EQT Stage 1 91, so the bump to Stage 2 93 should be noticeable.

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
not positive if it was you but i think someone else in the csb just mentioned using an impact for an 02 sensor the other day. it did not go well.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
not positive if it was you but i think someone else in the csb just mentioned using an impact for an 02 sensor the other day. it did not go well.
Yep, that was yours truly. Like, it came out and everything, but it flung the connector into the downpipe itself, and destroyed the outer housing. The wiring and everything is still good, so I'll likely see if I can source a connector and re-pin to have a backup. But now I've got a second, and I'm smarter than I was the day before I did it. So that's not the worst outcome.

(Though I wish I could have the hour and a half or so of my life back in which I drove to a dealership who had the sensor I needed, almost bought the sensor, determined it wasn't going to be the right sensor, and then learned it was what I needed after all. Price wasn't far off of Rockauto's price either, which is surprising. I should've brought the bits of sensor with me, but alas, I was in a hurry and not thinking.)

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
No updates for a while, so here we go. I got a heckin' deal on a Baun Performance downpipe, and I can't sing the praises enough. Getting the factory downpipe out was definitely an unpleasant affair, there was a lot of arguing with it to get it about 60% of the way out and then it started being awful. The reality seems to be that the downpipe will rotate nearly 360 degrees when tryng to come out, With the factory downpipe out of the way, I got a new fancy resonator section from @GTI Jake and I'm expecting to have it installed before the weekend.
View attachment 292688

Woah, taking a cell phone picture without any hands? And that's a tiny looking downpipe, or really big hands.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Woah, taking a cell phone picture without any hands? And that's a tiny looking downpipe, or really big hands.
Stock downpipe was rather rude coming out. Though I do have decently large hands. Like, tilde to the dash key pinky to thumb reach. Sometimes it's really convenient, sometimes it's an absolute nightmare because getting those mitts into snug spaces on cars has on occasion made me concerned for being stuck.

Actually, part of the removal experience was removing that 90 degree bracket towards the passengers' side of the downpipe holding it to the block, and in my excitement to get things moving along the way I got my finger pretty aggressively pinched. Not like 'oh it's gonna leave a pinpoint blood blister' pinched, but like 'if I yank on this I'm gonna lose a chunk of my finger, and might need to go to the hospital. It was highly unpleasant, and I couldn't reach the prybar to try to move it enough to get my finger back. I briefly considered just waiting for my wife to get home so I could have a second set of hands to try and retrieve my hand, but it was pretty obvious that wouldn't work. Eventually I found a way to wiggle the downpipe (and bracket) enough to get my finger free, but that was an unpleasant experience for sure.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
They’re expensive but Michelin PS4S, put down is38 GTI power pretty well. 1st is useless and tires still spin in 2nd at times especially after the full BAUN exhaust.
I've been thinking about the Yokohama Advan Apex v601, but the Falken RTK615 have also come up. It's largely a fair/warm weather car, so I don't really need snow capability.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I've been thinking about the Yokohama Advan Apex v601, but the Falken RTK615 have also come up. It's largely a fair/warm weather car, so I don't really need snow capability.
It doesn’t snow near me either so that’s why I went with the ps4s. And they came mounted and balanced when I bought my Apex SM-10 wheels

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
alright so now I've confirmed, since it's an older revision of the cat I'll need to run a small spacer, nbd. Though it appears now you can't just get good ones from Vibrant, Jegs and Summit both sell what's needed.

The car sounds fantastic. Quieter than before if I'm trying to be, but cold starts and meaningful throttle have a great tone to them.

I still really, really need tires and suspension, and brakes. But I think tires are going to be the first thing, for safety's sake. Likely cheap (relatively speaking) coilovers, I don't think damping is necessary at this time and I liked my last set of ST coilovers so I'll likely do that again. MAYBE the front sway bar as well, just to help with turn-in and improve confidence overall.

oh and because it's my thread and I'll do what I want (until mom yells at me), I solidified my champion status in one region over the weekend, the next closest competitor being my wife who was a class champion in 2021 and took second in 2022, so no small feat. I'm also points competitive in my home region and I'm only two points behind first there (and three ahead of my wife), but that's going to be incredibly close as we have a double header coming up at the end of the month that's definitely going to take some work.

Last edited:

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Everything is buttoned up, and all ready for #CSBG2G23. I can't get over how great the car looks (IMO), and I'm excited about it. My wife's birthday is Thursday, she's excited about karting as well. Road Rally over the weekend with our local SCCA chapter made for some good photos, here's one (most of them were taken on my wife's phone because she was the navigator/photographer)

Also, I need some coilovers. And brakes. And tires. Probably in that order though.

e: and some side skirts, and a rear diffuser. Probably going Aerofabb rear, we'll see about the skirts because I've got a connection for a real good price on a pair locally that I think would look great. We'll see come springtime, because right now it's time to stop hemorrhaging money for a little (I hope).

Attachments

• PXL_20231022_151010176.jpg
    PXL_20231022_151010176.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
A man can dream though, a man can dream.

(tbh coilovers are stuuuuuuuuuupid expensive so it's likely next season, IIRC ST XTAs are all but $2k)
they're 1875

Actually going to return my used set to FCP soon to get a refreshed set.

Last edited: