GOLFMKV

Nine81's Silver Wiener Build

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
At the moment the flavor of the week is Vortex standard, I'd like to keep the spool response of the IS20. Goal is to be around 400hp/tq on pump gas, and flex compatibility for when I want some zing. It's an attractive option because it's been around for a while and seems to not have major issues, though IIRC the 2260 is sort of like a middle-step between the Vortex and the XL, which also could be a good option. I just know I'm not gonna hit my power goals on IS20, and rather than be right on the limit with IS38, I figure running a hybrid a little less on the edge will keep things sane.

MPI is honestly to help stave off carbon buildup, and flex is just kind of a byproduct/benefit. I can't say that I'm unhappy with the IS20 as it is, but I'd like to be a bit faster than a run of the mill GTI.
Man I wish I was closer to you where you could take mine for a spin. You might re-think IS38 lol. However knowing your goal, I have to agree with Diggs, a Mamba 2867 dialed in with MPI would be just the ticket.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
@Nineeightyone if you're ever in VA...holler
Will do! I'm hoping to organize a get-together for the southern bros, but my schedule continues to be a bit insane.

it uses a garrett CHRA so you have to run new lines vs stock
If you just want to use OEM lines then the Vortex is what you want. It also costs more.

Vortex=Zage
mamba is it's own company, no middleman
Oh that makes sense. Yeah, I'm not rich but money isn't an issue. I'm looking to keep the car long term, and don't mind spending money on it. With that said, simplicity is a nice thing to have.

Man I wish I was closer to you where you could take mine for a spin. You might re-think IS38 lol. However knowing your goal, I have to agree with Diggs, a Mamba 2867 dialed in with MPI would be just the ticket.
Yeah, originally (like way back when I first got the car) I thought IS38. I drove a friend's Stage 2 R and felt the IS20 came on harder, though IIRC he was on either APR or Cobb OTS so it's very possible. Overall, given the cost for an IS38+ and supporting mods, it kinda made sense to spend just a bit more (in the context of everything) and have way more headroom.

So I guess at this point, it's either Mamba, Vortex, or 2260. But we'll see where I wind up with a bit of time.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Open offer if you're in Chicago

Maybe you could get tempted to go bigger

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Open offer if you're in Chicago

Maybe you could get tempted to go bigger
I'm FWD though, traction keeps me from going XL or similar. That and I'm told they really wake up past 90, and let's be honest -- as it is, I'm irresponsible with the power I've got :ROFLMAO:

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
I'm FWD though, traction keeps me from going XL or similar. That and I'm told they really wake up past 90, and let's be honest -- as it is, I'm irresponsible with the power I've got :ROFLMAO:
See, that's why you should get an R. It's a safety thing, really.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
See, that's why you should get an R. It's a safety thing, really.
I've considered the mk8 R as a daily, but I'd really like to hold onto my GTI regardless. It's all the stuff I wanted when I was a kid, and stuff I wanted from the time it became even the slightest possibility. Though my wife wants an S3 (but refuses to buy an automatic), so we've been loosely discussing getting her a 7.5R.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
See that is me as well. I went back to the local dealer yesterday at lunch break to go pick up the plates for our new Atlas (DAM that was fast, bought last week??) and they have 2 MK8's just sitting there. Like an idiot I asked the GM if they would sell me one at MSRP (markups are common here). He replied with "hell no, for you I would discount the crap out of it.)

I'm legit worried that I am going to end up with one lol. I really want a purist car though and a older Carrera 4 is at the top of my list.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
See that is me as well. I went back to the local dealer yesterday at lunch break to go pick up the plates for our new Atlas (DAM that was fast, bought last week??) and they have 2 MK8's just sitting there. Like an idiot I asked the GM if they would sell me one at MSRP (markups are common here). He replied with "hell no, for you I would discount the crap out of it.)

I'm legit worried that I am going to end up with one lol. I really want a purist car though and a older Carrera 4 is at the top of my list.
Wife wants a Porsche "someday", and I keep looking at mid-2000's ones. We also want an AX car to share (currently we both have separate cars), and for a while that plan was ND2 or ND3 Miata, but it's also an option to get a Carrera, Cayman, or something of that nature. I love those 718 Spyders that look like a baby Carrera GT.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I'm looking at 2005-2009. I figure I have waited long enough, 4 payments left on the GTI and I am going hunting lol. I should have a slew of parts ready for the GTI to play with by the time I find said Carrera.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
Re: IS38- In the span of a week I rode in a friends EQT Stage 2 R (call that 400hp at the crank), drove & rode in my dad's Stage 1 M235i (~400crank hp), and drove a stock RS3 (400 crank). Despite all those cars making more or less the same power, the R was underwhelming whilst the other two really felt impressive.

I attributed this to the IS38 running out of steam at 6k whilst the other two cars would continue to pull hard. That was one of the biggest factors that contributed to me wanting more than IS38. I went DTR (if you want quick spool look elsewhere lmao) and couldn't be happier because it will pull like an mf to redline. To keep the quick spool go Vortex std, you'll love it.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Re: IS38- In the span of a week I rode in a friends EQT Stage 2 R (call that 400hp at the crank), drove & rode in my dad's Stage 1 M235i (~400crank hp), and drove a stock RS3 (400 crank). Despite all those cars making more or less the same power, the R was underwhelming whilst the other two really felt impressive.

I attributed this to the IS38 running out of steam at 6k whilst the other two cars would continue to pull hard. That was one of the biggest factors that contributed to me wanting more than IS38. I went DTR (if you want quick spool look elsewhere lmao) and couldn't be happier because it will pull like an mf to redline. To keep the quick spool go Vortex std, you'll love it.
6k and 3rd gear in my car is f^%$n moving, and pulls hard all the way there. 4th gear and 6k I better be on a airport runway or something cuz that's the other side of the speedo lol. True it may running out of steam at 6k, but it's still pulling well or at least mine does.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
6k and 3rd gear in my car is f^%$n moving, and pulls hard all the way there. 4th gear and 6k I better be on a airport runway or something cuz that's the other side of the speedo lol. True it may running out of steam at 6k, but it's still pulling well or at least mine does.
yeah my next log my tuner wants 3rd gear to 6500 and then a 4th gear pull "if safe" LOL.....I have NO idea where I'd do a 4th gear pull.....I'm already hauling in 3rd at 6500.....