GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nine81's Silver Wiener Build

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
You're also making way more power than me, so I've really got no room to poke fun.

I need MPI/Flex/Hybrid but that's looking further and further away
Yeah the reason I'm asking is this last E30 revision is making me spin in first three gears on these DWS's

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Scooty Puff Jr
Yeah the reason I'm asking is this last E30 revision is making me spin in first three gears on these DWS's
That is beautiful and I'm jealous

I should do brake fluid this year, and I may get a little excitable and get 615s for the GTI since I only drive it in nice weather. RBF600 has been good to me, and it sounds like DS2500 are a solid pad choice (though I don't know that I can justify doing them yet, so I'll likely just address the fluid that's original from 2019 lol).

As long as I'm thinking of it @Diggs24 can I get an invite to the OSTuning discord? Username is the same as my name on here, nineeightyone. I'd like to learn some more about this open source business, and if I feel semi-confident about it I'll likely start down that road.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
That is beautiful and I'm jealous
going to try and check out getting dyno'd at FlimFlam speed around here once I wrap up the flex tune revisions......somehow hrspwrs is a question I get asked and I'm like "dunno"

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
What turbo did you decide on?, or did I miss where you mentioned it?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Scooty Puff Jr
What turbo did you decide on?, or did I miss where you mentioned it?
At the moment the flavor of the week is Vortex standard, I'd like to keep the spool response of the IS20. Goal is to be around 400hp/tq on pump gas, and flex compatibility for when I want some zing. It's an attractive option because it's been around for a while and seems to not have major issues, though IIRC the 2260 is sort of like a middle-step between the Vortex and the XL, which also could be a good option. I just know I'm not gonna hit my power goals on IS20, and rather than be right on the limit with IS38, I figure running a hybrid a little less on the edge will keep things sane.

MPI is honestly to help stave off carbon buildup, and flex is just kind of a byproduct/benefit. I can't say that I'm unhappy with the IS20 as it is, but I'd like to be a bit faster than a run of the mill GTI.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
At the moment the flavor of the week is Vortex standard, I'd like to keep the spool response of the IS20. Goal is to be around 400hp/tq on pump gas, and flex compatibility for when I want some zing. It's an attractive option because it's been around for a while and seems to not have major issues, though IIRC the 2260 is sort of like a middle-step between the Vortex and the XL, which also could be a good option. I just know I'm not gonna hit my power goals on IS20, and rather than be right on the limit with IS38, I figure running a hybrid a little less on the edge will keep things sane.

MPI is honestly to help stave off carbon buildup, and flex is just kind of a byproduct/benefit. I can't say that I'm unhappy with the IS20 as it is, but I'd like to be a bit faster than a run of the mill GTI.
2260 is between IS38 and Vortex.....perfect sweet spot for me at least.....lag time just slightly more than an IS20....barely noticeable.

https://www.mambatek.com/en/product...mk75-gtx2867r-ball-bearing-turbocharger-no-wg

2867 in a IS38 sized coldside
D5 turbine in a IS20 sized hotside
almost got this one...epictech almost sold me on it before I got the 2260

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Scooty Puff Jr
2260 is between IS38 and Vortex.....perfect sweet spot for me at least.....lag time just slightly more than an IS20....barely noticeable.
Yeah, how it drives is a bit more important to me than numbers, so I'd like to have that sweet torque punch the IS20 has, but with more top end. I dunno, I'm gonna see if I can catch a ride in some other cars to see what I do and don't like, and go from there. Right now there's so much else going on. Since I'm not trying to min-max the budget on this, I'm likely going to get an MPI setup running next and do flex fuel on IS20, and then decide on a bigger turbocharger.

https://www.mambatek.com/en/product...mk75-gtx2867r-ball-bearing-turbocharger-no-wg

2867 in a IS38 sized coldside
D5 turbine in a IS20 sized hotside
So, I'm not (at all) smart about turbochargers, I go pretty much based off of what information I get from folks who seem reputable. I'm not familiar with Mambatek at all, though EQT is also a new-ish name to me (and I have no idea who's making their turbos). Garrett is a name I'm at least familiar with, so to me it's got a mild leg up there, though I keep forgetting about the 2260 because I don't hear about them as often.

I understand IS20 sized hotside, which tells me I should have similar spool to my current IS20, and IS38 cold side tells me more airflow, and I'm guessing the 2867 is a larger compressor wheel to suit the larger housing, which I'm extrapolating to be more power overall/ability to keep up with the engine's demands and continue to make usable boost the whole way to redline. I'm not sure I know what a D5 turbine is versus stock. But it doesn't sound like an awful idea. (Very) dumb question though with the Mamba kit -- it looks like a lot more is included than just the turbocharger itself. I'm not aware of what else needs to change, I haven't gone down that rabbit hole too far yet. So what's up with the other lines and stuff, is that all things I'd otherwise be sourcing on my own? I've not owned anything turbocharged previously, nor have I upgraded a turbocharger from a previously installed unit.