GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nicks Mk7.5 Sunroof Squeak and Armrest Rattle Fix

Nickmk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
mk7 TDI SEL M/T
Many other threads cover parts of these steps, here I have compiled them together for reference with my own steps and pictures. Symptoms: Creaking and squeaking when on uneven road or pulling into driveways. When you tilt the sunroof upward, the sound goes away. Armrest rattles at low rpm when accelerating especially with a downpipe or exhaust. Finally, the notorious sunroof shade sliding back while driving. After owning my second mk7, this time a 7.5 gti se I am familiar with rattles and squeaks that come with the car let alone the sunroof. Below I will show how to remedy the armrest rattle, sunroof squeak, and even the shade that opens itself a quarter inch while driving. Note: the grease is not absolutely necessary but it works wonders for lubricating seals and hinges on any car.

Tools/supplies
-Everbilt 1/2 x 1 in clear bumpers Home Depot
-2 inch felt tape Amazon
-Shin-Etsu Silicone Grease Honda
-Razorblade Knife
-Microfiber towel
-Isopropyl alcohol or any type of cleaner similar

1. Sunroof Squeak
-Open the sunroof all the way and slide the shade back
-You will be looking through the inside of the car under the glass for the plastic frame piece close to the front of the car (if you run your finger on it, a familiar noise is made)

-Clean the squeaky plastic with a dry or wet microfiber
-Measure the felt tape the length of the plastic piece cut it and then cut that piece in two for easier install
- Apply the felt on top of the highest point of the plastic and into the channel (refer to picture below)
- Smooth is down with a finger and make sure it is on top and runs through the channel of the trim
You should be squeak free! you can also lube all the mating seals with the silicone grease as well as the sunroof tracks

IMG_20201221_132845.jpg

IMG_20201221_132859.jpg

2. Armrest Rattle

-Open armrest and extend fully
-There is a small plastic flimsy piece of trim you can remove
-I broke the trim upon removing but it does have clips, YMMV
-Lube the track while you are in there... Done!
IMG_20201221_155118.jpg

3. Sunroof Shade Slide Fix
-Open the sunroof completely and slide the shade back
-Apply one bumper as shown in the pictures to a clean surface
-I added a cut in half (3 total for the job) piece and it seemed to further strengthen the hold
Enjoy your sunshade that does not slide while driving!

IMG_20201221_132822.jpg

I can imagine that many people have the same issue and I hope this diy helps, any questions please post below.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
I did this armrest fix months ago how annoying!

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
Need to do this for my sunroof now weather turned cold again that all you hear.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Just wanted to add that this is working great for me re: sunroof shade squeaking/rattling. For anyone searching for similar and finds this thread, I made a couple modifications that proved valuable to me:

1. I added a thin strip of adhesive felt tape to the tops of the rubber bumpers to keep them from sticking to the plastic part of the shade:

IMG_2257.jpeg

IMG_2258.jpeg

2. I added a second pair of rubber bumpers to *back* of the sunroof frame on either side; this serves the same function as in the front to vertically support the shade when it's in the rear (pulled back) position (same felt tape added to the tops as the front):

IMG_2259.jpeg

IMG_2260.jpeg

Hope that helps anyone who's struggling with the same!

Nickmk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
mk7 TDI SEL M/T
Just wanted to add that this is working great for me re: sunroof shade squeaking/rattling. For anyone searching for similar and finds this thread, I made a couple modifications that proved valuable to me:

1. I added a thin strip of adhesive felt tape to the tops of the rubber bumpers to keep them from sticking to the plastic part of the shade:

View attachment 226211

View attachment 226212

2. I added a second pair of rubber bumpers to *back* of the sunroof frame on either side; this serves the same function as in the front to vertically support the shade when it's in the rear (pulled back) position (same felt tape added to the tops as the front):

View attachment 226213

View attachment 226215

Hope that helps anyone who's struggling

Thanks for more info on the topic! I’m sure it will continue to help people.

Update: I sold my gti but got another mk7. New car didn’t have any of the same rattles other than the armrest one. The new car had a rattle on the sunroof glass which was fixed by removing the six screws that hold it to the frame. It was reattached and new thread lock was used. No rattle. The sound was coming from the rear of the sunroof and sounded like a constant tapping. Turns out it was a loose washer on the screws.