GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newbie to VW life

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
GTI values drop like rocks. Get a cpo GTI thats already depreciated and take advantage of the 0% for 60 months from vw.

I thought the same thing too, generally against buying brand new. Except it was damn near impossible to find a used one speced how I wanted it. Even when I did, the price of a LP/PP with 20K miles was not that far off from a brand new sport due to how they changed around the packages.

I would have also had to hop into a 15/16 which goes against something else I generally don't like: driving early model years. But this was back in 17 when the mk7 was fairly fresh.

OP, buy the GTI. Now is a good time, you'll get a good deal (especially if you aren't as picky as me) and I believe you can still fall under that longer warranty VW started giving out. Want to keep the ride nice on shitty roads? Just don't lower it and add 19s in the summer.....ask me how I know 😁 it's the perfect all around car imo, life it too short to drive something boring for the sake of saving a few thousand.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
What The Freak says.....I got the Sport cause the best option for me, however I compromised on color.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
you’ve always been able to get really good discounts on gtis if you shopped around. They still depreciate quickly.

Thats a myth. Let me go over the facts from my personal experience.

I bought my 2016 GTI Autobahn DSG (MSRP 34945) for $29218 (before TTL) in Apr 2016. I sold it to a private party in Feb 2018 for $22750. Vehicle was never abused and was in a great shape. I had to wait for 6 weeks until the right buyer showed up and he bought it for the price which i listed with zero negotiation. Value of the vehicle dropped by $6468 in 22 months of my ownership and that equates to $294 a month without including TTL.

$294 a month for a performance hatch is very very reasonable.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion

I bought my 2016 GTI Autobahn DSG (MSRP 34945) for $29218 (before TTL) in Apr 2016. I sold it to a private party in Feb 2018 for $22750. Vehicle was never abused and was in a great shape. I had to wait for 6 weeks until the right buyer showed up and he bought it for the price which i listed with zero negotiation. Value of the vehicle dropped by $6468 in 22 months of my ownership and that equates to $294 a month without including TTL.

For your particular situation, the numbers worked out. Nobody pays MSRP, but not everyone gets the same deal as you, thus the baseline cost varies widely. The only way to use a consistent baseline cost is to use MSRP, which does not vary in each country. Using that baseline, it's crystal clear that GTI's depreciate rapidly.

I bought my $34K 2018 Autobahn used for $25K with 11K miles on it.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
For your particular situation, the numbers worked out. Nobody pays MSRP, but not everyone gets the same deal as you, thus the baseline cost varies widely. The only way to use a consistent baseline cost is to use MSRP, which does not vary in each country. Using that baseline, it's crystal clear that GTI's depreciate rapidly.

I bought my $34K 2018 Autobahn used for $25K with 11K miles on it.

That was my exact point earlier as well. If one finds the right deal, they are not going to eat a lot of depreciation even if its a brand new vehicle.

MSRP is the baseline but no one pays that money for almost all vehicles in the market. So we have to look into the real world numbers in general.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
That was my exact point earlier as well. If one finds the right deal, they are not going to eat a lot of depreciation even if its a brand new vehicle.

MSRP is the baseline but no one pays that money for almost all vehicles in the market. So we have to look into the real world numbers in general.

So what is the "real world number" for any particular model across the USA? What metric do you consider the "real world number" and why?

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Street price is very difficult to analyze because it's a floating price that is influenced by MANY things some times completely unrelated to the market... obvious metrics are like market, inventory, pipeline inventory, but then the particular dealer's cash flow, pressure from corporate, manufacturer sudden deals, weather, construction in a particular area prohibiting traffic, etc

At the end of the day, a car is only worth how much you want to pay. If you want the car bad enough, you will pay a high price and get it if you can.. and you won't regret it.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
So what is the "real world number" for any particular model across the USA? What metric do you consider the "real world number" and why?

MSRP is a vague baseline and people have to do a little bit of ground work to understand the real world number while buying any vehicle.
- Even during pre covid times, one can get $7 to 10k off sticker on few American truck models with zero or little negotiation but pay sticker few other models.
- GTIs are discounted by most dealers and the amount of discount depends on the effort ones willing to do.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R

How many miles did it have? Losing 6500 in 22 months isn't what I'd called amazing resale. It was a better deal for whoever bought it from you.

My 2016 R was 36500+/- a few bucks (msrp with the delivery fee) before ttl. I bought it in September 2015. I sold it to a dealership in February 2019 because I didnt have the patience for a private sale in the middle of winter in Chicago. Got $26,500 (dealer sold it for 30 or 31) so value dropped 10k in 41 months. Car had 36,000 miles. So the R cost me $243 a month or 27 cents per mile not including taxes etc.

Your GTI was worth 77% of purchase price after 22 months in great shape. My R in admittedly just ok shape was 72% after 41.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
How many miles did it have? Losing 6500 in 22 months isn't what I'd called amazing resale. It was a better deal for whoever bought it from you.

I clocked 26k miles in 22 months.

I never claimed GTI has amazing resale value but the value doesnt drop like a rock as many people claim as well. Its very reasonable for a so called performance hatch. People spend more money leasing on a base 3 series.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
MSRP is a vague baseline and people have to do a little bit of ground work to understand the real world number while buying any vehicle.
- Even during pre covid times, one can get $7 to 10k off sticker on few American truck models with zero or little negotiation but pay sticker few other models.
- GTIs are discounted by most dealers and the amount of discount depends on the effort ones willing to do.
The 19 Gti I'm looking at has an MSRP of $34,250 but with dealer discount it went down to $28,710. What would you try to get this car at OTD? Its new, btw.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
The 19 Gti I'm looking at has an MSRP of $34,250 but with dealer discount it went down to $28,710. What would you try to get this car at OTD? Its new, btw.
You could probably get it lower, especially with the mk8 coming out soon

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

Is $28710 before or after tax? Most people might not be aware of the tax & fees in your area. People will be able to rate your deal with MSRP and selling price excluding TTL.