GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newbie to VW life

that_esky_guy29

Car(s)
2003 Focus ZX3
Hello everyone. So it’s come time for my first new car! I’m 33 am have been driving well used/well loved Fords since I turned 18-ish. So I’m going from mustangs to a 2003 Focus to hopefully a new Golf TSI. I’ve been a fan of the Golfs, saw a lot of them in Holland while I traveled there but never had income to afford one till now, or close to now. I have read a lot of great things about Golfs and newer VWs in general. I guess now I’m curious if I’ll be happy enough with TSI or wish I had GTI. I’m currently driving a 245k 2003 Focus ZX3 manual. I like fwd and how it handles for being stock. My high power days are over, had a Cobra for awhile but more interested in fun daily commuter that is great on gas, rides smooth (crappy California roads), and high build quality. What do yeah gals and guys think? Do you think insurance rates will be much higher on GTi?

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I am biased of course, but If you are looking for a commuter car the TSI should be fine. But your adjective of "fun commuter" leads to the GTI. Even driven in a spirited manor I get very good mileage. Highway mileage can get upper 30's. I have DCC and in comfort mode it is very smooth. I haven't ridden in "normal" GTI but I haven't heard many people complain of harsh rides so I would think it would be smooth enough. The GTI is sporty and fun but not too much. I think you should test drive both to see how you feel. Insurance will depend on your location and driving record, but check out the free quotes the insurance companies promote.

that_esky_guy29

Car(s)
2003 Focus ZX3
I am biased of course, but If you are looking for a commuter car the TSI should be fine. But your adjective of "fun commuter" leads to the GTI. Even driven in a spirited manor I get very good mileage. Highway mileage can get upper 30's. I have DCC and in comfort mode it is very smooth. I haven't ridden in "normal" GTI but I haven't heard many people complain of harsh rides so I would think it would be smooth enough. The GTI is sporty and fun but not too much. I think you should test drive both to see how you feel. Insurance will depend on your location and driving record, but check out the free quotes the insurance companies promote.
Thank you for the reply! I’m really forward to driving both soon. Local dealers almost no Golfs. But keeping hopes up. I didn’t realize that there were different levels of the GTI, saw the Golf TSI is one model, no options/levels besides color and transmission. As much as a three pedal guy I am, probably going to get auto because of commute and so wife can drive it. After she got her Model 3, has no interest in manual or any other car now....lol. Oh well

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Since you're not that interested in higher power anymore I would recommend the TSI. It's still very peppy and can made more powerful as easily as a GTI. Insurance would be lower for the TSI also and the suspension would be more to your wife's liking than the stiffer GTI.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Same situation for me too. ;) I wouldn't be too concerned if you end up with the DSG in the GTI, they work very well.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Welcome to the forum.

If this going to be your only vehicle, GTI is worth the premium. You should test drive both of them back to back (once situation gets better) to understand the difference. Since you are considering an auto, DSG in GTI is far better than the transmission in Golf.

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
Before I bought my 2016 GTI I considered a used Mk6 R. The Mk7 GTI's insurance was almost $100.00 a month less because of the built in safety features and the crash survivability. You might be surprise by the insurance rate for the GTI...

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
If one considers GTI and R from same MY, R might be cheaper. Many people have reported that R is classified as a regular Golf by their insurance as well.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
As much as a three pedal guy I am, probably going to get auto because of commute and so wife can drive it. After she got her Model 3, has no interest in manual or any other car now....lol. Oh well
Your line of thinking seems contradictory

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
had a TSI for a rental and was quite surprised. TSI is pretty peppy at city speeds(small turbo so it spools very quick), no top end tho. imo the TSI makes zero attempt at looking sporty in any way. i know its technically an ecobox but hey look at the new corolla. I have received complaints of harsh rides from maybe 30% of my passengers btw.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Hello and Welcome!

I would highly recommend a GTI as well! The TSI should be fine if you are just looking into a fuel-efficient commuter car for everyday use. The GTI is obviously bred from the TSI Golf, although it does have alot more features stock, and has more pep in its step. The GTI is the perfect all-around daily driver, IMO. I have a 2015 GTI SE, and when cruising on the highway, I can still achieve 40mpg, and high 20s in the city.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
You cannot go wrong with the GTI. It's the only car I know of that makes me miss it despite having its more powerful sibling.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
You cannot go wrong with the GTI. It's the only car I know of that makes me miss it despite having its more powerful sibling.

I would love a Golf R, but I really cannot go without my sunroof. I also like needles on my gauges, instead of the all digital display. And lastly, I like having a manual handbrake. Call me childish, but these little things push me to the GTI>R. Oh yeah, the price too lol.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
had a TSI for a rental and was quite surprised. TSI is pretty peppy at city speeds(small turbo so it spools very quick), no top end tho. imo the TSI makes zero attempt at looking sporty in any way. i know its technically an ecobox but hey look at the new corolla. I have received complaints of harsh rides from maybe 30% of my passengers btw.

I don't consider the TSI to be an econbox. A friend of mine has one and it costs almost as much as my GTI and has more safety features and the Fender stereo. From the side it looks identical to the GTI.