GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newbie owner tyre pressures

SimonIG10

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf Mk7 1.4 GT TSI
Gradually doing some checks over the car. Couldnt find any sticker on the B pillar so looked online for pressure on 1.4 GT TSI with 225/45/17 tyres. Huge variation in recommendations. I have now found the sticker on the fuel flap and it says 29psi front and rear which is on the low side of many ive seen with some saying up to 36 front and rear. Ive set all 4 wheels at 30psi to see how it goes. It was at 34 from the garage I bought it from. What do others reckon? Ive attached the grimey label.

Attachments

• Tyre pressure.jpg
    Tyre pressure.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 2,202

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Tyre pressures will differ depending on the load carried in the car - higher recommended pressures for a fully laden car compared to one with little or no luggage and up to two occupants.

I think that since the implementation of WLTP (Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure), VW may have increased their recommended tyre pressures for less rolling resistance and to achieve improved mpg and emissions figures, so some of the higher tyre pressure figures you’ve seen may have been for post-WLTP certified cars (2018/2019 or newer). Those higher pressures - if they’re too high - might also result in the centre section of the tyre tread wearing more quickly than the outer sections though, and give a firmer ride. Similarly, if pressures are too low, the outer sections of the tread will wear faster than the centre section.

I’d say that you should be fine with 30psi all round for up to two occupants and smaller luggage loads, although if you regularly have a full car of occupants and luggage, you might want to consider increasing them.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Gradually doing some checks over the car. Couldnt find any sticker on the B pillar so looked online for pressure on 1.4 GT TSI with 225/45/17 tyres. Huge variation in recommendations. I have now found the sticker on the fuel flap and it says 29psi front and rear which is on the low side of many ive seen with some saying up to 36 front and rear. Ive set all 4 wheels at 30psi to see how it goes. It was at 34 from the garage I bought it from. What do others reckon? Ive attached the grimey label.

What gearbox, what year, hatch or estate??...I have all the tyre pressures...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Mine is a 2013 1.4 GT TSI DSG. 225/45 17 tyres

VW in their maintenance workbooks give masses of tyre pressures, for those same tyres on the MK7 Golf, but it covers all around the world...so the fronts can vary from 2bar at half load to 2.7bar at half load...

They give the data out based on the part number of the tyre pressure data sticker..the correct part number is determined by your VIN number & what the VW ETKA system states...you need to give your VIN number to the parts depts at you local dealer & get the sticker....

I would 99% state that it will be the same for empty to half load as mine which is 2bar (29psi) front & rear..I have the same tyre size & engine, but an estate & manual..

SimonIG10

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf Mk7 1.4 GT TSI
Thanks. It says 29 on the sticker front and back lightly loaded but with all the varying views Ive gone with 30. Seems fine. Was much higher when I collected it.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Some are on the fuel filler flap & others on the B pillar...

Marvin

Ready to race!
I have had my MK7 for four years now and have always run tyres on the 'comfort' setting i.e. 30psi all round. Had it serviced 10 days ago car was returned with 34 (variable) all round. Re-adjusted them yesterday!